Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

downtown lunch-in a rut

no avatar
User

Ellen White

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:00 pm

st. matthews

downtown lunch-in a rut

by Ellen White » Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:05 pm

I am totally stuck in a rut for lunch downtown. It's either Proof, YaChings (at least twice a week), or Bistro 301.
I need somewhere that has healthy food (preferably vegetarian), is relatively cheap, and, since I will be starting to take the bus next week and won't be able to drive anywhere for lunch, within walking distance of 6th and Market, which would be from 8th to 1st and from Main to Broadway. Help!
no avatar
User

Doogy R

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:15 pm

The purlieus of Louisville, KY

Re: downtown lunch-in a rut

by Doogy R » Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:35 pm

Safiers, Saffron's, Blue Nile Buffet, Shiraz, Down to Lunch Cafe, the salad bar at Cravings Ala Carte in National City Bldg.

Ellen White wrote:I am totally stuck in a rut for lunch downtown. It's either Proof, YaChings (at least twice a week), or Bistro 301.

I need somewhere that has healthy food (preferably vegetarian), is relatively cheap, and, since I will be starting to take the bus next week and won't be able to drive anywhere for lunch, within walking distance of 6th and Market, which would be from 8th to 1st and from Main to Broadway. Help!
Great food along with great company is truly one of lifes best treasures.
no avatar
User

Leah S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:31 pm

Old Louisville

by Leah S » Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:48 pm

There's City Cafe at Broadway and Fifth.
no avatar
User

Sarah M.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jun 04, 2007 6:26 pm

Schnitzelburg

by Sarah M. » Tue Jun 24, 2008 9:10 pm

I'm a fan of the Main Eatery at Main and 7th. They have several kinds of soup, baked potatoes, salads and sandwiches etc. I remember them having several vegetarian friendly options.
"Work is the curse of the drinking class." -Oscar Wilde.
no avatar
User

Sonja W

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:00 pm

by Sonja W » Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:10 pm

Leah s wrote:There's City Cafe at Broadway and Fifth.

I second the vote for City Cafe. Good food made from scratch, very reasonably priced and quick service. They also offer a daily vegetarian dish. And you can get on their mailing list for their weekly menus.
no avatar
User

Lois Mauk

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:08 pm

Jeffersonville, Indiana

by Lois Mauk » Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:55 pm

Ellen, I'm shamefully lazy and generally don't go far for lunch. Most days, I just walk across the alley to Gavi's Restaurant at 222 South 7th (between Market and Jefferson), across the police headquarters.

Every day they have at least six home-cooked vegetables. There are the obligatory mashed potatoes and green beans, but also various greens, cabbage, baked cauliflower, zucchini in tomato sauce, etc. David serves cheese ravioli. I'm sure he could make you a veggie pizza. A former co-worker used to love his pineapple pizza and I know he had an alfredo pizza for a while. I'm a fan of his BBQ chicken pizza. I know it's hot, but they have several soups every day, including chicken noodle, chicken rice, Russian vegetable (I think it's meatfree), gazpacho, leek soup, spinach soup, etc. Lately, they've offered hummus with pita bread. A lot of people like their baked chicken on Mondays and Fridays. Wednesday is fried chicken day and people call in all morning long "reserving" their favorite part of the chicken. Friday is baked fish in carrot sauce and salmon patties. If staying meatfree is important to you and you're not sure about a dish, just ask Zina or Ida. They make everything from scratch, so they can easily tell you what's vegetarian and what isn't.

They're open till late afternoons now since David started serving beer (6 PM, I think).

Also, Gavi's delivers breakfast and lunch within a several block radius of 7th and Market.

Lois
Make a fast friend . . . Adopt a retired racer from Greyhound Pets of America!
http://www.GPALouisville.org
no avatar
User

Bill Veneman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:35 pm

East End outside of the Watterson, but not afraid to travel for good grub

by Bill Veneman » Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:57 am

Pesto's and Cunninghams.......two of my favs
If life's a Banquet, what's with all the Tofu?

Cheers!

Bill V.
no avatar
User

Will Crawford

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:51 pm

by Will Crawford » Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:32 am

I had a great lunch at Vincenzo's recently. Very tasty and not too bad on the pocket.
Will Crawford
no avatar
User

SheilaB

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Mar 06, 2007 3:49 pm

Louisville

by SheilaB » Wed Jun 25, 2008 12:15 pm

I second recommendations for Safier's, Blue Nile & Gavi's. If you are looking for something very casual you could try Heitzman's Bakery on Market between 4th & 5th - they do good veggie burgers and benedictine sandwiches. There is also Wolfgang Puck, although I find it a bit on the pricey side.
no avatar
User

David R. Pierce

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:02 pm

by David R. Pierce » Wed Jun 25, 2008 12:26 pm

You could take the Market St. trolley to Market on Market, Jennica's, Toast, Bodega, Mellilo's ...
Cheers,
David R. Pierce
The Original BBC Brewmaster
Bluegrass Brewing Co.
St. Matthews branch
Craft Brewing Louisville continuously since 1992
no avatar
User

Doogy R

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:15 pm

The purlieus of Louisville, KY

by Doogy R » Wed Jun 25, 2008 12:33 pm

One I forgot and never see mentioned here is Down to Lunch Cafe in the basement of the Ky Home Life bldg. Good variety at a great price.
Great food along with great company is truly one of lifes best treasures.
no avatar
User

Sara D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jun 16, 2008 2:25 pm

by Sara D » Wed Jun 25, 2008 12:51 pm

I recommend Queue Cafe in the E-On/LG&E building on 3rd and Main. They have great gourment sandwiches and salads.
no avatar
User

Cristina M

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Oct 20, 2007 9:59 pm

2231 Holiday Manor Center

by Cristina M » Wed Jun 25, 2008 1:50 pm

I really like Mayan Cafe they have this egg, cheese and plantain sandwich that is delicious. They have great black bean and cheese empanadas too. A lot of vegetarian options.
no avatar
User

Bill D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 17, 2007 7:13 pm

Louisville, KY

by Bill D » Wed Jun 25, 2008 4:34 pm

BBC on 4th in Theater Square,across from The Brown Hotel.
Bill D
no avatar
User

MarieP

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:56 pm

St. Matthews

by MarieP » Thu Jun 26, 2008 2:35 pm

Wolfgang Puck is great, and really not too expensive for what is is, imho. The butternut squash soup is amazing, and the BBQ wrap is fantastic! I also enjoy their garlic chips.

There are also Delta Restaurant (434 W. Market) and TC's Sandwich Shoppe (438 W. Market). My mom really likes TC's. as they have some interesting soups and sandwiches. A location of Los Aztecas is at 530 W. Main. You could always go fo Skyline Chili or Jimmy John's if you wanted (*I* like those places).
Next