Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Home from Scotland

User

Ed Vermillion

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:32 pm

38 degrees 25' 25' N 85 degrees 36' 2' W

Home from Scotland

by Ed Vermillion » Tue Apr 10, 2007 2:58 pm

Back from 2 weeks in Scotland where it was sunny and warmer than here, strange this global warming. Food was good to excellent, the latter being found in either indian, thai or orcadian (Orkney) restaurants.

The best of the lot with location:

Edinburg- Just spent one day here but we found the best thai place in town. Dusit Thai 49A Thistle Street.

Inverness- Many very good places here but our faves:

Rajah Indian 2 Post Office Road
The Mustard Seed (housed in a renovated church) Fraser Street

Stromness, Mainland, Orkney-

The Ferry Inn for the freshest North Atlantic fish. Literally thrown off the boat into the back door of the restuarant. Located on the quay in Stromness.

Kirkwall, Mainland, Orkney-

Pomona Cafe for everyday grub served with pride. Very nice people.

The Pomona Cafe 9 Albert Street, Kirkwall, Orkney

Transited both ways through Iceland. Dried fish and dried seaweed will remain a delicacy for the Icelanders. Had to try them but wish I hadn't. :shock:

First time overseas for our 10 year old and he loved everything being the age of loving castles, swords, dragons, boggarts and the like.

We all ate The Haggis :shock: and it was very good.

Took awhile to read the backlog of posts here but some random thoughts:

I got the email about the LO gift certificate sale on Saturday, too bad I was in transit Monday to take advantage. I signed up for the LO Birthday Club but my b-day came and went in February without a peep from them.

Robert is still being picked on and trolling so all is right with the world. :D

Mojito and Basa are high on the list of must visit, Mojito looks great from outside Fernando.

You back to work yet, Suzi?

I miss T.P.'s old avatar.

I'm very happy to be home. :D

I'll leave you with this lovely scene next to Huntly Castle west of Aberdeen.Image
User

David R. Pierce

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:02 pm

by David R. Pierce » Tue Apr 10, 2007 3:02 pm

Food, schmood, how were the Libations?
Cheers,
David R. Pierce
The Original BBC Brewmaster
Bluegrass Brewing Co.
St. Matthews branch
Craft Brewing Louisville continuously since 1992
User

Ed Vermillion

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Ed Vermillion » Tue Apr 10, 2007 3:21 pm

Three years ago my Doc said the magic words "Type 2 Diabetes" which led me to evaluate my lifestyle. Deciding I would like to shuffle around the mortal coil a bit longer I gave up alcohol and hit the gym. So far it has worked for me but my memory lingers of that fine cask aged ale. :cry: Now I'm sure (because I've heard it) some people say in moderation alcohol is safe but I cannot escape my genes and moderation is a foreign word to me. :D So, food it is.
User

Suzi Bernert

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:08 pm

Louisville, KY

Welcome Back!!

by Suzi Bernert » Tue Apr 10, 2007 4:15 pm

Hey Ed - Love your descriptions, makes me even more determined to get to England/Scotland/Ireland before I die.

Nope, not back to work, having L4-L5 surgery tomorrow. The weakness in my left leg keeps progressing and I really LIKE walking. :wink:
Hopefully, only in hospital one night and 8 weeks or so off, pending healing and physical therapy. May have to do some light duty (if I can get it!). Making list of places to get hubby to bring takeout from while I am housebound (about a week, allegedly). AND a list of places to go when I am sprung!

When do you head back to the old radio room?
Retired from LMEMS
Co-Founder and House Mother
Berndows Enterprise
"Time to eat?"
no avatar
User

Barb T.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Mar 06, 2007 1:47 pm

South End

by Barb T. » Tue Apr 10, 2007 4:46 pm

Hoping you have a pleasant time off, as much as possible when you're recuperating. You have indeed earned it. Also hoping you heal very soon. Btw, I really like your signature line.
How true it is!
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Home from Scotland

by Robin Garr » Tue Apr 10, 2007 4:50 pm

Ed Vermillion wrote:Back from 2 weeks in Scotland where it was sunny and warmer than here, strange this global warming.

Welcome home, Ed, good to see you! There's really nothing to like about the haggis, especially when you follow it with a wee dram of the malt. ;)

Funny, your time away coincided almost exactly with my two weeks in Italy (Veneto and Lombardia), where I ate and drank and judged a little wine, and the weather was <i>exactly</i> like it should have been back here (complete with forsythia and flowering fruit trees) while these guys were having an early summer back here.
User

Suzi Bernert

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:08 pm

Louisville, KY

by Suzi Bernert » Tue Apr 10, 2007 4:56 pm

Thanks Barb!

Btw, I really like your signature line

That came from when I broke my tailbone at work - one of my sups (for Ed - it was Reggie) said " I know you love your job, but you don't HAVE to bust your butt for it!" It sort of became a tag line for us until he retired. :lol:
Retired from LMEMS
Co-Founder and House Mother
Berndows Enterprise
"Time to eat?"
no avatar
User

Holly C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 1:53 am

Re: Home from Scotland

by Holly C » Tue Apr 10, 2007 5:41 pm

Ed Vermillion wrote:Dried fish and dried seaweed will remain a delicacy for the Icelanders.

Is Icelandic dried seaweed similar to Asian dried seaweed? Sheets of delicious black paper? We used to eat those things like crazy growing up.
User

Ed Vermillion

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Ed Vermillion » Tue Apr 10, 2007 5:54 pm

Hope all goes well tomorrow, Suzi. I'll keep you in my thoughts. If you get bored of the standard take away give me a shout and will mix it up for you. My first official day back is Thursday but I'm heading in tonight for a 12 hour round robin trade for someone who made a trade for someone else who made a trade for....you remember. :D

Holly: It was flat black thin sheets and tasted like......odd to describe but maybe salty, stringy earth? Beets have that earthy taste (to me) and it was similar but oh so salty! :o :o
no avatar
User

Holly C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 1:53 am

by Holly C » Tue Apr 10, 2007 7:40 pm

Hmm, that sounds about right... although I wouldn't describe the Asian versions as THAT salty -- so maybe that's the Icelandic difference.

If you eat it by the sheet, though, it definitely takes some skill: too quickly and it gobs up into a chewy paste that sticks to the roof of your mouth. The easiest way is to tear it into pieces and eat them one at a time.