Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Food in Tucson, AZ

no avatar
User

Becky K

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Apr 01, 2008 2:50 pm

Food in Tucson, AZ

by Becky K » Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:05 am

I will be in Tucson for a week at the Hilton -el conquistador for a conference. I am looking for any good restaurants that anyone may know of to get me out of the hotel :)
no avatar
User

KatGallagher

{ RANK }

Just got here

Thu May 15, 2008 5:38 pm

Re: Food in Tucson, AZ

by KatGallagher » Mon Jun 16, 2008 4:13 pm

I haven't been there in a couple of years but things I miss include:

Bison Witches is a sandwich place where they had great sandwiches and soup served in bread bowls. Heads up, there is parking in back down the alley.

La Parilla Suiza (there is something to be said about an appetizer that is just a bowl of melted cheese and tortillas) It is a nice family place.

I once had an absolutely beautiful although pricey meal at the Ventana Room.

Of course everything I'm talking about is not really close to the el conquistador, but if you have a car and a chance to drive around, you might check it out.

I would say above all things eat as much Mexican food as possible while you are there. I really can't remember eating bad Mexican food in Arizona. Have a great time!
no avatar
User

Becky K

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Apr 01, 2008 2:50 pm

by Becky K » Mon Jun 16, 2008 4:44 pm

I will definitely have a car while I'm there so I hope to explore a bit. Thanks for the recommendations
no avatar
User

KatGallagher

{ RANK }

Just got here

Thu May 15, 2008 5:38 pm

by KatGallagher » Mon Jun 16, 2008 5:09 pm

In that case, make a middle of the night run to Filaberto's (they are all over) for luck. Mexican junk food is always good.

Don't forget sunblock. It is summer and despite geography, I'm pretty certain that Arizona is located on the surface of the sun.
no avatar
User

Andrew Hutto

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:38 pm

by Andrew Hutto » Mon Jun 16, 2008 6:20 pm

hi becky,
you can try the tucson originals.
i have been to pastiche modern eatery ( pat coonors, owner), janos & j bar ( janos wilder, owner pronounced yanos ), johnathon's cork ( johnathon landeen, owner ), cafe terra cotta.
all of these places are good, are all about the local ingredients & all about hospitality.
a "sonoran" hot dog is also a high local / tourist priority, though it involves hot dogs, mayo, buns, cheese and all of the other craziness you might want to put on it...
hope this helps, have fun out there.
andrew
User

Jackie R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Mar 06, 2007 3:48 pm

Highlands

by Jackie R. » Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:44 pm

My sister and brother-in-law lived in Tucson and both worked in the Hospitality industry for several years, so I sent her an e-mail asking for her input. This is what I got (fyi - I did mention that Ventana and Terra Cotta were already suggested) - and please believe, her dining expertise is worth something:

"Okay, so I can not post b/c I am at work and my damn internet blocks any site that is worth looking at. Here is the skinny on Tucson cuisine. Cafe Terra Cotta is Matt's previous place of employment and is a MUST for anyone traveling to Tucson. They have awesome Margarita's and Sunday brunch. The location and view is spectacular and the food is award winning. If you like spice, you will love this location. I would call it casually upscale.

The Ventana Room is a 5-diamond restaurant located inside Loews Ventana Canyon. This is high $$$, but very impressive. This is one of the very few spots in Tucson where men are required to wear jackets. They bring around a cheese cart at the end of the meal, which I have always found to be more fun than desert. Especially if you are enjoying a great bottle of wine. The view is to die for. It overlooks the 18th hole of the Ventana Golf Course. If this is a romantic dinner they have to ask the server to direct them towards the waterfall. This is a natural waterfall in the back of the resort which is nestled in the Catalina mountains. Very rare for Tucson and a popular spot for wedding proposals. If you are looking for authentic Mexican food, head to Downtown and go to either El Charro's (very casual) or Cafe Poca Cosa. These are definitely local favorites. For another excellent Southwestern, casually upscale restaurant in a beautiful setting, I also highly recommend Hacienda Del Sol. It will make you feel special!"
no avatar
User

Bill Brymer

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 1:47 am

by Bill Brymer » Tue Jun 17, 2008 4:50 pm

Hi Becky, I lived in Tucson for °10 years and travel there regularly.You have to go to these places, some already mentioned...

ö Janos .... hands down some of the best meals i have had anywhere. the view over the desert floor is gorgeous, the ingredients are stunningly fresh.there is a wine room kept at optimal temps in which larger groups can dine. A great spot on a 100 night.

ö El Charro ...downtown. they have a sun dried beef ...carne seca... that is cured in metal cages above the restaurant, fanstastic. Great selection of tequilas, too.

ö Kingfisher Bar and Grill ... my all time favorite. They have an oyster bar that trumps any I have ever seen. Stocked with varieties from Oregon and Mexico.Ate there in May ..18 oysters i´m embarassed to say. Great fish, great meat ... inspired cooking. Impeccable service. Selection of whiskey´s,including many KY brands, is deep.

ö Cafe at Old Town Artisans ... this spot is in the old barrio,lots of shops and the Tucson Museum of Art closeby. Had a veggie burrito in May that was great, the beans were perfect, and a great vibe for putting down a few cold cerveza.I watched a pair of dancers perform Aztec dances in the courtyard. If you like to combine shopping with dining, this is the spot.

Enjoy and vaya con dios.

ö apologies for the weirdcharacters.I´m in a tiny icelandic village and the keyboard is set to icelandic.
User

Richard Rush

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:36 am

by Richard Rush » Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:42 am

I lived in Tucson many years ago while in the USAF and I concur with the suggestion of the Ventanna Room. Perfect place!
no avatar
User

Megan Watts

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:44 am

Louisville

by Megan Watts » Thu Jun 19, 2008 2:22 pm

I've been dying to reply to this question..but I had to get "activated" first! I grew up in Tucson and have only lived here the last 5 years.
One place I haven't seen suggested on here is Guadalajara Grill. It's fairly new. Great Mexican food and they make your salsa fresh for you at your table.
I hate to tell you that the area that you're staying in is high on the side of chain restaurants, so a drive to better food would be well worth it. All that's around you is Uno Chicago, Carrabbas, Bazo's and Risky Business (which is a lot like Chili's/Applebees, etc.)
I also love Cafe Terracotta. El Corral is a great place if you want prime rib, tamale pie, or sangria. It's a really old adobe house that's been added on to over time, and is quite a local favorite.
I almost forgot a good restaurant that is on Oracle and Ina. (You're staying on Oracle Rd.) Wildflower is very good. The people that own this restaurant also own another one of my favorites Montana Grill which is on Grant/Tanque Verde.
Hope you enjoy everything! Makes me homesick!
User

Jackie R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Mar 06, 2007 3:48 pm

Highlands

by Jackie R. » Thu Jun 19, 2008 6:22 pm

Megan Watts wrote:I almost forgot a good restaurant that is on Oracle and Ina. (You're staying on Oracle Rd.) Wildflower is very good.

Yes, Wildflower! My brother and sister lived near Oracle and Ina and we ate there once for lunch. Sat on the gorgeous patio and for my beverage, maybe you can help me remember (it's been a long time) a lemonade that they serve. I think it was Agave sweetened or something? I don't order sweet drinks often, so it may be common, but it seemed to be all the rage at that place. It was pink.
no avatar
User

Megan Watts

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:44 am

Louisville

by Megan Watts » Fri Jun 20, 2008 7:47 am

I'll be honest..I never had anything but wine there. It's probably Agave or Prickly Pear. Speaking of Prickly Pear.. I almost forgot my utmost favorite place for breakfast or lunch. Tohono Chul Tea Room that is on Ina and Via Entrada very close on the side of town you'll be staying. You can also walk around the park which is gorgeous or shop in the gift shop for unique southwestern gifts.