Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Ken Wilson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Jan 03, 2008 3:50 pm

Louisville

Pizza, Beer, and Indy Films

by Ken Wilson » Sat Jun 14, 2008 7:09 pm

This week's Leo has a little piece on Derrick Beasley, who is starting a 'draughthouse cinema' styled after the Alamo in Austin: Beer and pizza served in a theatre showing independent, foreign and off-beat films. North End Cafe is in the mix. We need this in town! I'm a big indy film fan. Check out the web site:
http://www.louisvillevanguard.com/

Anybody else excited by this?
User

Matthew Landan

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 29, 2007 5:17 pm

331 East Market Street

Re: Pizza, Beer, and Indy Films

by Matthew Landan » Sat Jun 14, 2008 8:47 pm

I am, there was a beer and movie place in Portland, Oregon I used to go to...
Owner
Haymarket
331 E. Market St.

Since I came down from Oregon, there's a lesson or two I've learned
Oh, oh the Pride of Cucamonga, of, of silver apples in the sun,
Yes, it's me, I'm the Pride of Cucamonga, I can see golden forests in the sun.
User

Ed Vermillion

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:32 pm

38 degrees 25' 25' N 85 degrees 36' 2' W

by Ed Vermillion » Sat Jun 14, 2008 9:57 pm

Back in the early 80's we had a place in either the Plainview Shopping Center or Dupont Circle that was a combination movie theatre and bar/restaurant. It had theatre style seats with cup holders, maybe 50, and behind the seats was an area with 8-10 tables. It had a full bar and a limited menu of sandwichs and the like. I cannot remember the name of the place to save my life. Anyone else remember this place?
User

Steve Shade

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:53 am

by Steve Shade » Sat Jun 14, 2008 11:36 pm

Ed Vermillion wrote:Back in the early 80's we had a place in either the Plainview Shopping Center or Dupont Circle that was a combination movie theatre and bar/restaurant. It had theatre style seats with cup holders, maybe 50, and behind the seats was an area with 8-10 tables. It had a full bar and a limited menu of sandwichs and the like. I cannot remember the name of the place to save my life. Anyone else remember this place?

Showing my age, but I do remember. It was in Plainview. I believe it was more like the 70's. The food was OK as I remember it and the movies not first run, but I liked the arrangement.
"Don't accept your dog's admiration as
conclusive evidence that you are wonderful."
-- Ann Landers
User

Mark Head

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:44 pm

Prospect

by Mark Head » Sat Jun 14, 2008 11:53 pm

Steve Shade wrote:
Ed Vermillion wrote:Back in the early 80's we had a place in either the Plainview Shopping Center or Dupont Circle that was a combination movie theatre and bar/restaurant. It had theatre style seats with cup holders, maybe 50, and behind the seats was an area with 8-10 tables. It had a full bar and a limited menu of sandwichs and the like. I cannot remember the name of the place to save my life. Anyone else remember this place?

Showing my age, but I do remember. It was in Plainview. I believe it was more like the 70's. The food was OK as I remember it and the movies not first run, but I liked the arrangement.

It was in Plainview Shopping Center down from Kroger. Dementia has set in as I cannot recall the name of the establishment. I went once or twice and recall almost nothing.

I was always a Vogue fan...we drank our beer in the parking lot before the show...but that's another story.
User

Ed Vermillion

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:32 pm

38 degrees 25' 25' N 85 degrees 36' 2' W

by Ed Vermillion » Sun Jun 15, 2008 1:37 am

The Vogue was movie mecca in our youth. The first place we actually got to see "real" movies. I still have a stash of those Vogue movie calendars. Thanks for the reminder of some mighty fine nights.
no avatar
User

C. Devlin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:42 pm

by C. Devlin » Sun Jun 15, 2008 1:59 am

A wonderful idea. The sort of thing I've missed since living in Chicago. A great big no for me, however, reading the plans for how the thing will operate, the fact that waiters will wait on and serve patrons as they watch the movies. That sounds like a real nuisance for me, and I don't know that I'd feel very compelled to frequent a place very much who operates along those lines. I hope they change their minds in that regard.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sun Jun 15, 2008 7:22 am

Ed Vermillion wrote:Anyone else remember this place?

Something like Cinema, Draft and Brewhouse. It preceded the still existing SIchuan Garden in that location. I'd say '80s too, Ed.
User

Todd Antz

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri May 11, 2007 12:37 pm

Clarksville, IN

by Todd Antz » Sun Jun 15, 2008 8:36 pm

When I lived in Columbus, OH, they had a place called Flickers that had a similiar concept. 2nd run movies, beer, popcorn, pizza, regular movie concessions. It say around 30 people or so, but was a great concept for me when I was in my early twenties. We would sit up there all day, pay for a movie or two, drink beer, eat bad food, and have a generally good time. They were really good at playing a series of movies, like the Indiana Jones Trilogy, or Godfather, or Halloween and run those at one price. Great way to burn a Saturday.
Keg Liquors
Keeping Kentuckiana Beer'd since 1976
http://www.kegliquors.com

617 E. Lewis & Clark Pkwy
Clarksville, IN 47129
812-283-3988

4304 Charlestown Road
New Albany, IN 47150
812-948-0444
User

Tom Holstein

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Nov 02, 2007 8:55 am

Derby City :)

by Tom Holstein » Sun Jun 15, 2008 9:35 pm

Huntington, WV Circa late 60's had a PBF place that featured very good pizza, American swill and W.C. Fields, Laurel & Hardy and Three Stooges black & whites. Kind of a Thundering Herd hangout.........Lots of fun :D
no avatar
User

S Cruz

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Feb 27, 2008 2:42 pm

401 East Main St. @ Slugger Field

by S Cruz » Mon Jun 16, 2008 12:14 am

where will it be located?
Eat, Drink, and Be Merry.
User

Ken Wilson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Jan 03, 2008 3:50 pm

Louisville

by Ken Wilson » Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:40 am

It's going to be at the Mellwood Arts Center, in that shell by the main building. It should anchor the Center nicely, and perhaps bring in more - and better - shops.

The pizza, by the way, is going to be well-made, wood-fired pizza and the beer and wine selections will include more upscale choices. As for concerns about waiter, food distractions during the films, they will be kept to a minimum: there are techniques learned from other establishments that do this sort of thing. The focus will be on cinema, on developing and serving a film-smart clientele. Rochester NY, where I lived for 35 years (after and before living here) is nowhere near as cool a place as Louisville, but does have a 5-screen art theatre that I miss terribly. My wife and I went there every week. Louisville is too hip not to have a real and serious film outlet. I'll be very disappointed if this doesn't fly. This week's Leo devoted to film shows that an informed audience is out there, and educating a wider one is possible.
User

Rebecca Clark

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jun 12, 2007 8:57 pm

by Rebecca Clark » Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:05 am

Robin Garr wrote:Something like Cinema, Draft and Brewhouse. It preceded the still existing SIchuan Garden in that location. I'd say '80s too, Ed.

It expired in 1984 or 1985 ... I remember it well because I moved here in '83 and it was one of the cool places I liked! I saw "Top Secret" there ... still one of my favorite "yuk yuk yuk" movies today. We didn't have anything like the place back in my small hometown in Missouri, so it made a big impression.
"Save the neck for me, Clark!" - Cousin Eddie
User

Leann C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 3:42 pm

Highlands

by Leann C » Mon Jun 16, 2008 12:33 pm

There is one in the Mt. Lookout neighborhood in Cincinnati - The Cinema Grill. Same sort of deal. Second run movies, beer and bar food. We used to go there every now & then when we lived in Cincinnati about 9 years ago.
no avatar
User

JRColvin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 28, 2008 2:03 pm

by JRColvin » Tue Jun 17, 2008 3:08 pm

Indianapolis had the downtown Hollywood Bar & Filmworks for about 15 years. It closed in 2006 due to parking problems.

Unlike that one and some others mentioned, it is my understanding that the Vanguard won't show second run movies. Like the Austin and Portland ones mentioned, it will feature artsy/independent/foreign films that used to play here all the time at both Baxter and/or the Vogue but tend to bypass our city these days.

As an example, Woody Allen has been releasing one or two new movies every year for the past few decades, but his latest from last winter, Cassandra's Dream, was the first one that did not show in Louisville, and that is pathetic. It played in Lexington and Indianapolis, but not here.

The development of Vanguard is the best Louisville cinema news I've heard in many years.... I'm really looking forward to it.
Next