Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Sports Facility dining

no avatar
User

Ron Taglieri

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:07 pm

Sports Facility dining

by Ron Taglieri » Sat Jun 14, 2008 8:57 am

As a father with a son who plays in many sporting events, I always try and sample food at various places. Here are some of my favorites. Are they any others?

1. St. Pius track - Killer bratwurst/chicken tenders

2. Hoops - Papa Johns (which I generally do not like for pizza) has tremendous grilled italian sub laden with banana peppers.

3. Manual High School - Solid hot dogs.

Any unique signature food affiliated at local high schools?

In my mind, best way to dine in summer as food is cheap and get to watch local kids compete, whatever the sport.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Sports Facility dining

by Robin Garr » Sat Jun 14, 2008 9:26 am

Ron Taglieri wrote:Are they any others?

Great question, Ron! My only serious experience with Louisville sports food is Slugger Field, where I'm afraid the Centerplate concessionaire isn't my favorite. I hope this discussion uncovers some great local favorites!
no avatar
User

Scott Endres

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jan 16, 2008 8:13 pm

Crescent Hill

by Scott Endres » Sat Jun 14, 2008 10:09 am

Robin Garr wrote:
Ron Taglieri wrote:Are they any others?

Great question, Ron! My only serious experience with Louisville sports food is Slugger Field, where I'm afraid the Centerplate concessionaire isn't my favorite. I hope this discussion uncovers some great local favorites!

To follow up on Slugger Field, we just got back from Myrtle Beach where we went to a MB Pelicans Class A game and the food really put Slugger Field to shame. From boiled peanuts to the Carolina Dog with BBQ and slaw, all the food was top quality and cheap. In fact, it was one of our higher rated places we ate over the week. The Slugger Field food has really gone down hill over the years.

Back on topic, the fried bratwursts at Germantown Baseball have ended more than a few diets. Also the kids tell me that you can't beat the free snow cones they get after the games.
Have a Good Day!
Scott

Teaching Is Too Important to Take Seriously!
http://www.paperwadideas.com
no avatar
User

Brad W

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 30, 2008 2:38 pm

Liquor Barn Louisville

by Brad W » Sat Jun 14, 2008 10:22 am

I went to a Pacers game at Conseco fieldhouse back in February and there was a restaurant/pub underneath the stands near the pacers bench. Decent sandwiches/salads/steak/apps, mixed drinks/beer

It was better than say some of the national chain restaurants but it wasn't spectacular....

but...

For a major sporting event...it was right on time, you could take the food and drinks to your seats.

You can get some decent Brats/Knocks at the club level at Paul Brown Stadium and the occasional decent beer/mixed drinks.
User

carla griffin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:32 pm

by carla griffin » Sat Jun 14, 2008 12:10 pm

I'm trying to remember what I heard about Lonnie's doing the catering at a sports facility of some kind (sither now or coming soon) but for the life of me I can't remember where just now. He's got good dogs.
Carla
There is one thing more exasperating than a wife who can cook and won't, and that's a wife who can't cook and will. ~Robert Frost
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Sat Jun 14, 2008 9:27 pm

Scott Endres wrote:From boiled peanuts to the Carolina Dog with BBQ and slaw, all the food was top quality and cheap.

Scott, did you really like boiled peanuts? I lived in South Carolina for 15 years and never could come to like them. They're always so slimy in my opinion, I definitely prefer them roast. The Carolina Dog must be a stadium special and it sounds good. I never saw that combination anyplace in South Carolina, the typical hot dogs I saw were "all the way" (fine chili, onions and mustard).
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

Scott Endres

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jan 16, 2008 8:13 pm

Crescent Hill

by Scott Endres » Sat Jun 14, 2008 9:51 pm

I'll be truthful, when I tried the boiled peanuts I said, "Well, that was interesting." However, my friend ate the entire order. She reminded me that she washed it down with an excellent root beer float. As for the carolina dog, I have found it in a few places in North Carolina, but every item on the one I had was great. In fact the BBQ itself was better than half of any pork bbq in Louisville.
Have a Good Day!
Scott

Teaching Is Too Important to Take Seriously!
http://www.paperwadideas.com
User

Mark Head

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:44 pm

Prospect

by Mark Head » Sat Jun 14, 2008 11:59 pm

The food at St. Matthews Little League behind Steinmart is better than average. They have grills with brats, chicken, burgers, fresh salads, etc. Always enjoyed a simple but fresh meal there when my son played ball.