Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

A Green Restaurant

User

carla griffin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:32 pm

A Green Restaurant

by carla griffin » Tue Apr 10, 2007 6:32 am

I was wondering what the forum thinks about supporting a restaurant because it was green. Assuming the food was at least good (hopefully, very good) would you be more likely to support a restaurant because of it's effort to be environmentally sound? Would you be willing to go out of your way or spend an additional buck for a restaurant that recycles, supports free range/organic products etc.?
Not trying to be provocative...just trying to see if the market is ready for this idea.
Carla
There is one thing more exasperating than a wife who can cook and won't, and that's a wife who can't cook and will. ~Robert Frost
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: A Green Restaurant

by Robin Garr » Tue Apr 10, 2007 6:59 am

carla griffin wrote:I was wondering what the forum thinks about supporting a restaurant because it was green. Assuming the food was at least good (hopefully, very good) would you be more likely to support a restaurant because of it's effort to be environmentally sound? Would you be willing to go out of your way or spend an additional buck for a restaurant that recycles, supports free range/organic products etc.?
Not trying to be provocative...just trying to see if the market is ready for this idea.

I'd like it and I would try to give them my business if all other things were equal, Carla, and I think a lot of people would, for reasons similar to why people support Rainbow Blossom, Whole Foods and Wild Oats.

At the end of the meal, though, it would still come down to whether food and service are good. But all things being equal, I think "greenness" - like natural food and local sourcing - would be a plus with a lot of people.
User

RebeccaWebb

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 12:54 am

Lexington, KY

by RebeccaWebb » Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:00 am

Wild Ginger in Cincinnati is a Green restaurant and has even won an design award for the interior. They use things like post-consumer seat belts for the chairs, recycled products on the counters and flooring .. lots of things. They have a card on all the tables explaining things.

If you are thinking of starting your own in Louisville, I would suggest a trip to Wild Ginger to see what they've done and perhaps get some of the contacts from them.

Wild Ginger is great too because the prices are very reasonable, at least for lunch (the only time I have gone). And their service is great for me ... I walked in last week and our regular waitress instantly recognized my son and me and was all smiles. She knew what I was going to order for my son (21 months) and she is always very doting on him. After the meal, she picks him up and carries him around, cleans his face for me ... is it any wonder why I love stopping here?? And no, they don't buy anything from us. This is one of my "but I love it" spots that gets my business about once a month.
Rebecca Phillips Webb
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:48 am

by Ron Johnson » Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:16 am

I think Rebecca's example makes my point better than I could've otherwise. I eat at Wild Ginger, but it is because the food is excellent. The fact that it is green is a bonus, and something that was unknown to me when I first went.

So Carla, if your food is good and fairly priced, I think Louisville will support you.
no avatar
User

robert szappanos

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 4:17 pm

louisville, ky

by robert szappanos » Tue Apr 10, 2007 4:50 pm

I agree that the bottom line is the food...If it is good it will do well...if the food is not people will not come back....
User

carla griffin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:32 pm

by carla griffin » Tue Apr 10, 2007 6:08 pm

Thank you for the info on Wild Ginger. I'll have to try it out next time I'm in their area.
I wasn't thinking about starting my own restaurant actually. I work for a restaurant supplier and thought the time may be right to assist restauranteurs in being greener. So many restaurants operate on such small margins that I wasn't sure if we could make it cost effective for them. If however, being green adds to their customer draw it might be worth it to them. Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks.
Carla
There is one thing more exasperating than a wife who can cook and won't, and that's a wife who can't cook and will. ~Robert Frost