Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

robert szappanos

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 4:17 pm

louisville, ky

Re: Toast on Market opening New Albany branch

by robert szappanos » Wed Jun 11, 2008 6:52 pm

What are you talking about....I did not make that comment.....It seems to me to be a very racists comment to make....Dont you think so....Seem like you should be talking to the person that posted it not me....I dont take the blame for others....
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Jun 11, 2008 7:01 pm

robert szappanos wrote:What are you talking about....I did not make that comment.....It seems to me to be a very racists comment to make....Dont you think so....Seem like you should be talking to the person that posted it not me....I dont take the blame for others....

I'm about done here. Does anyone think I'm being too harsh? Feel free to PM me if you prefer.
no avatar
User

robert szappanos

{ RANK }

Foodie

louisville, ky

by robert szappanos » Wed Jun 11, 2008 7:10 pm

Take a breath...I did not make the camment about being white...Doogy did....Man do I take the blame for everthing now.....
no avatar
User

robert szappanos

{ RANK }

Foodie

louisville, ky

by robert szappanos » Wed Jun 11, 2008 7:12 pm

Doogy R wrote:The relatives on my mom's side came over from New Albany to the West End when it was still white. Those old Germans were some fantastic people. I guess I need to see if Toast is as good as NEC.

Robin...Where on this post to you see my name....
no avatar
User

Roger A. Baylor

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:01 pm

New Albany

by Roger A. Baylor » Wed Jun 11, 2008 7:19 pm

robert szappanos wrote:Thats what I mean... :(

I think that Robert is agreeing with David and I that Doogy's comment was racist. There's simply no other reason why Doogy would add the "when it was still white" qualifier.

Meanwhile, might Doogy himself answer the question? Racist, or merely ignorant? After all, he's the one who brought it up.
Roger A. Baylor
Beer Director at Pints&union (New Albany)
Digital Editor at Food & Dining Magazine
New Albany, Indiana
no avatar
User

robert szappanos

{ RANK }

Foodie

louisville, ky

by robert szappanos » Wed Jun 11, 2008 7:22 pm

That is exactly what I am saying...Thanks Roger at least you understood it....
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Jun 11, 2008 7:44 pm

Roger A. Baylor wrote:I think that Robert is agreeing with David

Roger, look back over Robert's past several posts in this thread, and tour the forum to see the kind of thing Robert has been posting frequently lately. I am not challenging Robert over the content of his posts but over his style. As a publican, you understand about the need to 86 a customer on occasion over behavior issues. That's what I'm wrestling with here, not which side Robert is taking in the Doogy situation.
no avatar
User

robert szappanos

{ RANK }

Foodie

louisville, ky

by robert szappanos » Wed Jun 11, 2008 7:50 pm

I think that you are just looking too deep at nothing...The post is as the post is...It was and is a racists comment Period...Is that clear enough...
no avatar
User

Richard Rush

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:36 am

by Richard Rush » Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:01 pm

I am looking forward to this one opening. Will they beat your place open Roger?
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:22 pm

Richard Rush wrote:I am looking forward to this one opening. Will they beat your place open Roger?

Amy W. from Toast tells me not until January 2009 at the earliest. The New Albany news article mentioned three months, but that's actually when Toast management takes over the building and begins renovation.
no avatar
User

Roger A. Baylor

{ RANK }

Foodie

New Albany

by Roger A. Baylor » Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:30 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
Roger A. Baylor wrote:I think that Robert is agreeing with David

Roger, look back over Robert's past several posts in this thread, and tour the forum to see the kind of thing Robert has been posting frequently lately. I am not challenging Robert over the content of his posts but over his style. As a publican, you understand about the need to 86 a customer on occasion over behavior issues. That's what I'm wrestling with here, not which side Robert is taking in the Doogy situation.

I confess to having paid little attention to Robert's posts lately, and am confining my interpretation to this one alone. To me, the use of the frowning face is evidence of Robert's intent to address the racism angle. And, to me, the "Doogy situation" outweighs it all.

But it's a very good point about overall behavior, and I've tossed customers before in similar circumstances. I've written all I wish to write about this topic, and will now retire to the porch for a cocktail and cigar, but not before saying that I appreciate all the work Robin does here to address issues at times like this. Thanks.
Roger A. Baylor
New Albany, Indiana
no avatar
User

Roger A. Baylor

{ RANK }

Foodie

New Albany

by Roger A. Baylor » Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:31 pm

Richard Rush wrote:I am looking forward to this one opening. Will they beat your place open Roger?

We're still shooting for taproom in October, brewery shortly thereafter. I'm going to enjoy having them just around the corner.
Roger A. Baylor
New Albany, Indiana
no avatar
User

David R. Pierce

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:02 pm

by David R. Pierce » Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:43 pm

Roger A. Baylor wrote:

We're still shooting for taproom in October, brewery shortly thereafter. I'm going to enjoy having them just around the corner.

That's barely a bike ride from your house. I'd like to get the grand tour someday.
Cheers,
David R. Pierce
The Original BBC Brewmaster
Bluegrass Brewing Co.
St. Matthews branch
Craft Brewing Louisville continuously since 1992
no avatar
User

Shawn Vest

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Jul 15, 2007 9:10 pm

850 main street, charlestown, indiana

by Shawn Vest » Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:52 pm

i read Doogy's comment as racist as well,
but also i was confused about what part of the west end he was talking about (portland is still pretty caucasian flavored and i find the west end to be more economically depressed than when my grandparents lived there, but i also find it to be pretty diverse as far as the people that live there now)

i also did not find the relevance between his post and the conversation about Toast??

anyway, only my perspective
Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza. D Barry
www.ctownpizzaco.com
850 MAIN 812-256-2699
no avatar
User

Richard Rush

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:36 am

by Richard Rush » Thu Jun 12, 2008 10:53 am

Roger A. Baylor wrote:We're still shooting for taproom in October, brewery shortly thereafter. I'm going to enjoy having them just around the corner.

Does that mean I can count on your place being open in time to be on the Harvest Homecoming annual drunken swill march? ;)
PreviousNext