Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Mark Head

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:44 pm

Prospect

Re: Toast on Market opening New Albany branch

by Mark Head » Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:50 am

Shawn Vest wrote:i read Doogy's comment as racist as well,
but also i was confused about what part of the west end he was talking about (portland is still pretty caucasian flavored and i find the west end to be more economically depressed than when my grandparents lived there, but i also find it to be pretty diverse as far as the people that live there now)

i also did not find the relevance between his post and the conversation about Toast??

anyway, only my perspective

Crass and tasteless yes.....whipping out the "racist" label without elaboration is a bit judgemental maybe? For such a nice forum, at times it strikes me that folks are a bit quick to draw the knife.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:56 am

Mark Head wrote:it strikes me that folks are a bit quick to draw the knife.

Hey, it's a cooking forum! We've all got knife rolls. ;)
User

Roger A. Baylor

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:01 pm

New Albany

by Roger A. Baylor » Thu Jun 12, 2008 12:06 pm

Richard Rush wrote:
Roger A. Baylor wrote:We're still shooting for taproom in October, brewery shortly thereafter. I'm going to enjoy having them just around the corner.

Does that mean I can count on your place being open in time to be on the Harvest Homecoming annual drunken swill march? ;)

But that's logically impossible, isn't it? We won't be offering swill, therefore our segment could not be part of the swill march.
Roger A. Baylor
Beer Director at Pints&union (New Albany)
Digital Editor at Food & Dining Magazine
New Albany, Indiana
User

Doogy R

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:15 pm

The purlieus of Louisville, KY

My response to racist statements.

by Doogy R » Thu Jun 12, 2008 6:30 pm

To me, it's just a statement of fact. When my relatives came over from NA, the west side of the Ville was indeed mostly populated by Caucasians. Nowadays, I believe it is a factual statement that most the people in the west end are African-Americans. Would you agree with that?

By the way, I have friends who are from the USA, Europe, Asia and Africa. Some are even Muslims. So, if you want to keep believing I made a racist comment, please feel free to do so.

One other point. Have you seen some of the old historical markers in downtown Louisville? The ones pertaining to the slave trade. Would you consider those to be racist? They are no more than a statement of fact about what existed at a certain point in history, which is exactly what I did and got roasted for. Too bad for me that I am not a member of the LHB clique.

If I have offended anyone by my original statement, I do apologize. I still say that what I originally stated is nothing more than historical fact.
Great food along with great company is truly one of lifes best treasures.
no avatar
User

robert szappanos

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 4:17 pm

louisville, ky

by robert szappanos » Thu Jun 12, 2008 6:40 pm

No problem Doogy....I think that some times "WE" are all tooo quick to tear someone down over a comment without knowing the intent or meaning of it. kind of like fingers typing before you brain tells you to.... :)
no avatar
User

John NA

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 18, 2007 4:09 pm

by John NA » Thu Jun 12, 2008 9:58 pm

Actually, putting the drama aside, this is awesome. I have heard nothing but great things about Toast and I'm very much looking forward to it being in downtown New Albany.
User

Richard Rush

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:36 am

by Richard Rush » Thu Jun 12, 2008 10:19 pm

Roger A. Baylor wrote:
Richard Rush wrote:
Roger A. Baylor wrote:We're still shooting for taproom in October, brewery shortly thereafter. I'm going to enjoy having them just around the corner.

Does that mean I can count on your place being open in time to be on the Harvest Homecoming annual drunken swill march? ;)

But that's logically impossible, isn't it? We won't be offering swill, therefore our segment could not be part of the swill march.

I suppose so, but I am intend to venture up there during the mass migration if you are indeed open. Will you have some quality beers being served up out of a beer tub properly staffed at least?
User

Roger A. Baylor

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:01 pm

New Albany

Re: My response to racist statements.

by Roger A. Baylor » Thu Jun 12, 2008 10:58 pm

Doogy R wrote:To me, it's just a statement of fact ... If I have offended anyone by my original statement, I do apologize. I still say that what I originally stated is nothing more than historical fact.

As Shawn noted earlier, it depends on what part of the West End you're describing, but even then, your "white" qualifier added nothing to the original comment and was by any rational account utterly gratuitous. It wasn't necessary, but you felt compelled to belch your "historical fact" nonetheless, and to compound the error by waving your arms and asking whether discussing slavery is the same thing. Whatever, Doogy. You're mixing apples with oranges with the slavery reference, but hey ... your apology is much appreciated nonetheless :roll:
Roger A. Baylor
Beer Director at Pints&union (New Albany)
Digital Editor at Food & Dining Magazine
New Albany, Indiana
User

Shawn Vest

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Jul 15, 2007 9:10 pm

850 main street, charlestown, indiana

by Shawn Vest » Fri Jun 13, 2008 12:42 am

hi doogie
no offense taken, i just thought it was a very odd comment for the topic (the white and the german reference together certainly had a lean towards an us vs. them mentality) - it just read a little like this to me - the white german people that used to live in the west end were fantastic....? :?:
(and i'm sure they were, no offense intended toward your relatives)

i don't know the exact numbers in Louisville, but i think you may have to more clearly define "west end" when making such a broad statement

don't be offended doogie (i don't think you got roasted too bad)

and i agree with Roger, apples and oranges -
(at least until they put up a marker that says "West End neighborhood, formerly populated by whites" or "Smoketown formerly a black neighborhood")
Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza. D Barry
www.ctownpizzaco.com
850 MAIN 812-256-2699
Previous