Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Where to eat in New Orleans?

no avatar
User

Karen H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Feb 21, 2008 5:26 pm

Where to eat in New Orleans?

by Karen H » Tue Jun 10, 2008 3:54 pm

We're thinking about taking a trip to New Orleans, has anyone been there recently? Any suggestions for good places to eat-reasonably priced? And where to go and where to avoid.

I love muffalettas and spicy food but the husband not so much. He is more of a meat and potatoes guy.
User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:09 pm

The rolling acres of Henry County

Re: Where to eat in New Orleans?

by RonnieD » Tue Jun 10, 2008 6:30 pm

You simply must go to Central Grocery for you muffaletta.

The Old Coffee Pot in the heart of the Quarter is a very good spot to have a nice lunch or a quiet dinner. Plus, you'll be close to Pat O's for after dinner fun!

Late night snacking is best done at Coop's Place on Decatur. The Rabbit Jambalaya and Shrimp Creole are to die for.

All of those places are reasonably priced and all offer a wide variety of spicy and not so spicy fare!

Enjoy NOLA, I can't wait to get back there myself!
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY
User

Jon K

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 10:22 pm

by Jon K » Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:29 pm

In what part of the city are you staying?
no avatar
User

Karen H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Feb 21, 2008 5:26 pm

by Karen H » Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:28 pm

Not sure where we are staying but looking at St. Charles Avenue or downtown on Carondelet St? Would appreciate advice on that also.
User

R Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Mar 05, 2007 3:37 am

by R Lowe » Wed Jun 11, 2008 5:09 am

Just a few of my personal favorites:

MIKE SERIO'S DELI/133 St.Charles/PoBoy,Breakfast
MOTHER'S RESTAURANT/401 Poydras/Debris Ferdi,Breakfast
COOTER BROWN'S/Carrollton Ave.@the River/Oystas on the half shell,great beer menu
SNUG HARBOR/626 Frenchman/Burgers,live music
LIUZZA'S@ THE TRACK/1518 N.Lopez/Seafood Gumbo
LIUZZA'S/3636 Bienville/PoBoy,plate lunch
ANITA'S/2122 Tulane Ave./Late night,breakfast

You cann't go wrong with any of these places,PM me if you want to discuss in more detail.
no avatar
User

Richard S.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:47 pm

by Richard S. » Wed Jun 11, 2008 9:23 am

I posted this once before to another thread, but I'll throw it out again. The Web site http://www.nomenu.com has a list of all the restaurants open in the city, broken down by neighbrohood and cuisine. Tom Fitzmorris, who operates the site, is the New Orleans version of Robin Garr and is the most plugged-in guy when it comes to food in the city. He hosts a daily three-hour radio show devoted to food and dining.
A few of my own recommendations: John Besh is one of the top chefs in the city right now. He operates several restaurants but August is the flagship. Acme Oyster House is good for oysters, po-boys and gumbo, although it's a bit touristy. Drago's in the Hilton is great as well. Try the charbroiled oysters (the best one bite of food in the city). Commander's Palace or the Upperline are good for the whole New Orleans dining experience.
As far as places to stay, it's probably best to stick to Canal Street, Royal or Bourbon, or maybe Convention Center Blvd. Anything more than a block or two off Canal in the CBD (downtown) might be ok if you didn't walk the neighborhood at night. Carondelet at night is a little rough. Unfortunately, crime is a major problem right now.
Please let us know how your trip went.
User

Alise Oliver

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:20 am

by Alise Oliver » Wed Jun 11, 2008 9:36 am

I was in NO several years ago for a long weekend, and I enjoyed the Praline Connection so much I had two dinners there. Excellent crawfish etouffee....in the Marigny neighborhood.
no avatar
User

Jennifer M

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Jun 10, 2007 7:32 am

by Jennifer M » Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:00 pm

I'm going next week. I've been before and here's what I like.

Next week I already have reservations to
Commanders Palace - winner of several Beards awards and Emerill worked here before he became big. In the Garden District. Expect to drop about $100 for lunch and $200 for dinner for 2 but worth every penny.
Galatoire's - It's been around forever and was in "The Streetcar Named Desire"
Tujague's - 6 course pre-set menu

I will also probably eat at Felix's Oyster Bar (I always eat here and prefer it to Acme's across the street but a lot of people like Acme's better. It's a personal taste) and Mr. B's Bistro (supposedly the best BBQ shrimp).

For a good po-boy I like Johnny's Po'Boys. Their list is huge. Mother's is also really good but is not in the quarter.

Irene's Cuisine is good italian and there is also the similar Tommy's.

Cafe Du Monde is a must for beignets and chickory coffe (it's open 24 hours so you can even go there after the bars)

Louisiana Pizza Kitchen is great if you get a pizza craving. It's a little hard to find but worth it.

I'm pretty sure I've picked places that reopened after Katrina. Sadly others were lost.

I'd recommend making reservations EARLY I made them today for next weekend and almost didn't get into both Commander's Palace (had to take 9 pm) and Galatoire's (had to settle on 6 pm).
User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:09 pm

The rolling acres of Henry County

by RonnieD » Thu Jun 12, 2008 12:48 am

Johnny's is only open for lunch (at least they were last I was there), so plan accordingly.

Galatoire's and Tujague's are both excellent choices as well
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY
no avatar
User

Michael Sell

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Nov 06, 2007 8:35 pm

by Michael Sell » Sat Jun 14, 2008 10:09 am

If your husband is a meat 'n potatoes person, maybe you should leave him at home. Barring that, Mandina's on Canal (take a cab) would be a good choice. You can get excellent NOLA food and then he can get something in his range also. To echo what some other people probably already mentioned and a few others, Franky & Johnny's (way uptown on Tchoupitoulas), Drago's (riverside Hilton) for charbroiled oysters, Mosca's for NOLA Italian (way out on the west bank in Avondale), Dry Dock for gumbo for you and burger/fries for him (take the Canal St. ferry to Algiers Point), etc. If you can, read Sara Roahen's new book "Gumbo Tales" before going to get some ideas and your appetite booming.

Some other ideas here, surely:
http://www.chowhound.com/boards/9