Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Great Meal at Smoketown USA

no avatar
User

Karen H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Feb 21, 2008 5:26 pm

Great Meal at Smoketown USA

by Karen H » Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:42 pm

My husband and I made our second visit to Smoketown USA Sunday afternoon and our meals were just as great as the first visit. Very consistent for quality of food and drink (specifically the sweet tea). That's something we really appreciate in a restaurant. There's nothing worse than taking friends to a restaurant and getting bad service and food when the last time you were there it was great.

I got the quarter chicken with 2 sides and cornbread. The chicken was not the least bit dry! The cabbage slaw & spanish rice were just as savory and spicy as I remembered them to be. And at $6.95 what a great deal in these days when gas is going for close to $4 a gallon. Husband got the pulled pork sandwich with 2 sides(green beans & potato salad) $6.95 also and he was very pleased.

Service was wonderful, dining room & restroom clean. Just an over all GREAT meal! We will definately be back with friends! :D
no avatar
User

Jake Wildstrom

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat May 10, 2008 7:02 pm

Schnitzelburg (40217)

Re: Great Meal at Smoketown USA

by Jake Wildstrom » Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:48 am

Seconded! It's been too long since I've been there, but I remember my visits fondly. I never had a bad meal, and they did an excellent job not just with their meats but also the sides (a point all too easy to neglect). The owners and staff are amiable and they've done a lot to make their little barbeque joint distinctive and friendly.

I've not tried the chicken -- I always was drawn to the beef and pork myself, but I can well believe it's excellent.
A matematikus olyan gép, amely kávéból tételeket készít. [A mathematician is a device for turning coffee into theorems.]
-Alfréd Rényi
no avatar
User

robert szappanos

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 4:17 pm

louisville, ky

by robert szappanos » Tue Jun 10, 2008 4:05 pm

I have tried there ribs beofre and it seems that they are not fully smoked...They seem to be pre cooked then smoked...
no avatar
User

Matt B

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 4:13 pm

Louisville, KY

by Matt B » Tue Jun 10, 2008 6:36 pm

I went for the first time a week ago and got carry out. I was not impressed. The ribs I had were still tough and the meat hadn't even started pulling back from the bone - they pulled them off the smoker about an hour too soon. The potato salad was bland and overpowered by a celery taste. I thought the sweet cornbread was nothing but cake batter with some corn meal thrown in and the spicy cornbread had no "spicy"
I have been to all but 1 BBQ restaraunt (Rite-way - it was closed when I went) in Louisville and I am not typically critical - but I would put my experience here towards the bottom of the list.
User

Doogy R

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:15 pm

The purlieus of Louisville, KY

by Doogy R » Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:29 pm

I ate there on March 15th and had this to relate:

I ate there for lunch last Friday (the day it snowed) with a coworker and we pretty agreed on our experience. The ribs are good, though I wished they would leave the sauce off. The sides were not memorable at all (the green beans tasted like they were from a can and the corn bread was cold), the service was erratic (almost half an hour from the time we ordered until we got the food, and we were the only customers in the place) and the desserts were divine. We both said to each other we would give the place a 4-5 on a scale of 10. There are too many better cue joints in town to merit a return visit, but if others like the place I do hope it stays in business.

Maybe it's time to go back.
Great food along with great company is truly one of lifes best treasures.
no avatar
User

Jeff Gillenwater

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Apr 19, 2007 5:07 pm

by Jeff Gillenwater » Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:19 am

Three cheers for Smoketown USA for helping with Repair Affair in Southern Indiana this year. It was nice to have such a solid breakfast (fruit salad, casserole with salsa, and a darn tasty muffin) in a lumber store parking lot at 7:30 a.m. Two hundred people were pretty happy.

As I mentioned to the guy who seemed to be in charge this past Saturday, I haven't made it over there yet in spite of numerous good reviews. That will change. If nothing else, I owe 'em. Like their namesake neighborhood, they're destined for good things.

Good on you, fellows. I'll see you soon.