Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Fried fish...

no avatar
User

Billy M

{ RANK }

Just got here

Tue May 06, 2008 3:18 pm

Fried fish...

by Billy M » Thu Jun 05, 2008 12:30 pm

I am sure this topic has been discussed before, this being Louisville, but who has (in your opinion) the best fried fish in town?

My vote goes (with a wide margin) to Hill Street Fish Fry. The 9 piece fish dinner with fries, hush puppie and slaw and a sweet tea is an amazingly good meal for $7-8. I am, though, always on the hunt for good fried fish... so gimmie some more ideas!
no avatar
User

robert szappanos

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 4:17 pm

louisville, ky

Re: Fried fish...

by robert szappanos » Thu Jun 05, 2008 12:31 pm

Hungry Pelican in Fern Creek...
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Jun 05, 2008 12:45 pm

Billy M wrote:I am sure this topic has been discussed before, this being Louisville, but who has (in your opinion) the best fried fish in town?

The Fish House at Winter and Barret is very, very good. Over in the St. Matthews fish cluster, Stan's Fish Sandwich, The Fishery, Carolina Seafood and Seafood Connection all do a very good job.

In a recent tasting tour, I was surprised to be reminded how very good the fried fish sandwiches are at Moby Dick. It's a chain, but a local chain, and it maintains a very high standard.
no avatar
User

Leah S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:31 pm

Old Louisville

by Leah S » Thu Jun 05, 2008 1:21 pm

My immediate response when I first read your question was "Hill Street Fish Fry"! The Fish House on Barret is our second go-to place.
no avatar
User

Billy M

{ RANK }

Just got here

Tue May 06, 2008 3:18 pm

by Billy M » Thu Jun 05, 2008 1:28 pm

I also enjoy Fish house regularly, but they cant match the ultra thing fried filet's from Hill St.

Stans main strength to me is the Shrimp Burger, which IS one of the best sandwiches in the world. Never had a good experience at Fishery, but I have only been maybe 3 times.
no avatar
User

Mark Head

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:44 pm

Prospect

by Mark Head » Thu Jun 05, 2008 1:49 pm

Fried fish is a personal thing I believe. I happen to love The Fishery. My experiences at The Fish House have been ok but not to the level as reported by others here. Carolina Shrimp is good. Stan's I like but usually get something other than fried fish. I've never been to the Hungry Pelican in Fern Creek...the one in Clarksville is not so good.
no avatar
User

Daren F

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 09, 2008 2:59 pm

Louisville, KY

by Daren F » Thu Jun 05, 2008 2:08 pm

My vote would have to go to Oceanside Seafood located a few doors down from Al Watan on Klondike. Their tilapia and their catfish beat everything else I have tried in Louisville. They use a peppery cornmeal coating that I prefer to the breading found at most fish places in Louisville. I am sure that I am biased about this since I grew up in western Ky where this style is the norm. I have to give them credit for having one of the cleanest restaurants in Louisville and the fact that they are some of the friendliest folks you will ever meet.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Jun 05, 2008 2:12 pm

Daren F wrote:My vote would have to go to Oceanside Seafood located a few doors down from Al Watan on Klondike. Their tilapia and their catfish beat everything else I have tried in Louisville. They use a peppery cornmeal coating that I prefer to the breading found at most fish places in Louisville. I am sure that I am biased about this since I grew up in western Ky where this style is the norm. I have to give them credit for having one of the cleanest restaurants in Louisville and the fact that they are some of the friendliest folks you will ever meet.

I agree that Oceanside is a nice place. FYI, though,The Fish House also does Green River-style fish.
no avatar
User

Shawn Vest

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Jul 15, 2007 9:10 pm

850 main street, charlestown, indiana

by Shawn Vest » Thu Jun 05, 2008 4:01 pm

my recent favs for a standard fried fish sandwich

Market Street fish house in new albany
and
skip jacks in clarksville, their tartar sauce is the best i've ever had (i heard they add vanilla pudding mix to it??)

shawn
Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza. D Barry
www.ctownpizzaco.com
850 MAIN 812-256-2699
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Jun 05, 2008 4:05 pm

Shawn Vest wrote:Market Street fish house in new albany

Whoa! How could I have forgotten ...
no avatar
User

Tom Holstein

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Nov 02, 2007 8:55 am

Derby City :)

by Tom Holstein » Thu Jun 05, 2008 6:03 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
Shawn Vest wrote:Market Street fish house in new albany

Whoa! How could I have forgotten ...

Clarksville Seafood's fried Haddock is my goto for fried fix.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Jun 05, 2008 6:07 pm

Tom Holstein wrote:Clarksville Seafood's fried Haddock is my goto for fried fix.

I like Clarksville Seafood too, Tom, but I can never figure when it's open! :oops:
no avatar
User

Sue H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat May 05, 2007 12:08 am

by Sue H » Thu Jun 05, 2008 6:10 pm

Although it isn't a standard place to go eat; I think Cahoots has the best fried fish sandwich in the city.
no avatar
User

Leann C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 3:42 pm

Highlands

by Leann C » Thu Jun 05, 2008 6:10 pm

Has anyone mentioned the Irish Rover yet? My personal favorite.
no avatar
User

robert szappanos

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 4:17 pm

louisville, ky

by robert szappanos » Thu Jun 05, 2008 7:48 pm

Irish Rover....That has got to be thw worst I have had...at least the one in La Grange.
Next