Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Basa on Frankfort

no avatar
User

Sarah Rickey

{ RANK }

Just got here

Mon Apr 09, 2007 2:55 pm

Basa on Frankfort

by Sarah Rickey » Mon Apr 09, 2007 3:46 pm

Hey everyone, I am new here and this is my first post!

I live on Cresent Hill, off of Frankfort, and I saw that a new restaurant just opened down the street. It is Vietnamese food, which I don't really know much about. I have been to Asiatique, but I don't think that is the same thing. I was hoping someone who had been to Basa could tell me what they thought, as I am interested in going, but I will need a good review to convince my husband to try something new. Thanks!
no avatar
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:48 am

by Ron Johnson » Mon Apr 09, 2007 4:24 pm

Sarah:

I think there is another thread about Basa somewhere on this site. It might have some info for you. You can use the search function to find it.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Basa on Frankfort

by Robin Garr » Mon Apr 09, 2007 4:55 pm

Sarah Rickey wrote:Hey everyone, I am new here and this is my first post

Welcome, Sarah! Glad you found your way here, and I hope you'll find this a comfy watering hole on the Food Information Highway. :)

Basa is brand-new, only open for a week, and I haven't been there myself. My impression, though, is that it's going to be an upscale "fusion" spot with dishes that hover between Vietnamese and French. Look for subtle tastes with some spicy and Asian flavors. I'm looking forward very much to checking it out, and I hope some of the forumites will also report on it soon.
no avatar
User

Brad J

{ RANK }

Just got here

Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:37 am

by Brad J » Tue Apr 10, 2007 8:21 am

Had the good fortune to dine at Basa last Tuesday. We shared a couple of apps and entrees. All were excellent, with the scallops standing out. Wine list is so perfectly matched for the food!
no avatar
User

Kim H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:07 pm

Louisville

Re: Basa on Frankfort

by Kim H » Tue Apr 10, 2007 10:33 am

Sarah Rickey wrote:Hey everyone, I am new here and this is my first post!

I live on Cresent Hill, off of Frankfort, and I saw that a new restaurant just opened down the street. It is Vietnamese food, which I don't really know much about. I have been to Asiatique, but I don't think that is the same thing. I was hoping someone who had been to Basa could tell me what they thought, as I am interested in going, but I will need a good review to convince my husband to try something new. Thanks!

Menu looks pretty good... http://www.basarestaurant.net
no avatar
User

Sarah Rickey

{ RANK }

Just got here

by Sarah Rickey » Tue Apr 10, 2007 10:58 am

Thanks for the info. Hopefully I can talk my husband into going this weekend.
no avatar
User

Krista K

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:21 am

downtown, louisville, ky, usa

i like it!

by Krista K » Tue Apr 10, 2007 10:10 pm

i enjoyed basa very much.
prices are reasonable. wine list is great. they seem to have some traditional vietnamese dishes alongside more familiar french influenced entress. i was there for the vietnamese and had spring roll, summer roll, and pho. they were all delicious.
the restaurant itself is beautiful and the staff was very warm. no complaints!!! it will be in my regular rotation.
no avatar
User

Clay Wallace

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Mar 19, 2007 1:27 pm

louisville

wow you gotta try this place

by Clay Wallace » Wed Apr 11, 2007 11:07 am

Where to start??? I guess at the appetizers, we started with the mussels and the fried spring rolls wrapped in lettuce and mint leaves. Perfect. About 15 to 20 plump and delicous mussels in a bowl made of flat bread,perfect for sopping! Then we tried the scallops with 50 year old balsamic vinegar, wow. Next we had the special of the day, A salad of shredded beef, maui onions and bean sprouts, maybe could have used a touch more dressing but we didnt have to worry about that because our server matthew had already suggested we have some more and promptly brought it. It did the trick and like everything else so far, was fantastic. We then had the salt and pepper shrimp and japanese eggplant with egg noodles, and not to gush too much but they were even better then the apps. I dont give reviews like this very often but it just got better at every course. We had a chocolate mocha dessert and a bannana geloto with coconut anglaise, what a surprise, It was fantastic. The wine list is very manageable with the most expensive bottle topping out at 68 bucks I think...We had theA to Z Pinot Noir, yummy. Our service was perfect to the T. Our server, matthew, had obviously spent time learning and mastering this type of cuisine, and made all the right suggestions. I guess Ill quit rambling on, but I was totally blown away and cant wait to get back and try the other half of the menu. A great addition to Frankfort Ave, I highly reccomend you get there before they're on an hour wait!!
no avatar
User

Sarah Rickey

{ RANK }

Just got here

by Sarah Rickey » Wed Apr 11, 2007 3:49 pm

Thanks for the reviews Clay and Krista!

Clay, I notice in your profile that you have a link to Cafe Lou Lou's website. Are you affiliated with them? I love the shrimp and grits there.

Anyway, those reviews sound amazing. I will have to get over there ASAP. Thanks again.
no avatar
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:48 am

by Ron Johnson » Wed Apr 11, 2007 3:52 pm

I think Clay owns Cafe Lou Lou.
no avatar
User

Clay Wallace

{ RANK }

Foodie

louisville

by Clay Wallace » Wed Apr 11, 2007 4:00 pm

yes, I do own Lou Lou and thanks very much for the compliment!
no avatar
User

Clay Wallace

{ RANK }

Foodie

louisville

by Clay Wallace » Thu Apr 12, 2007 10:34 pm

picked up to go from Basa tonight, was as good as it was the first time
no avatar
User

John Lisherness

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:25 pm

The Highlands

Menu Added

by John Lisherness » Fri Apr 13, 2007 9:31 am

Basa has been added to http://www.MenusOfLouisville.com
no avatar
User

Amy A

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:34 pm

Jeffersonville

by Amy A » Sat Apr 14, 2007 9:32 pm

We went this evening.

My thoughts:

I loved the decor. All the staff was extraordinarily welcoming and friendly. Our cocktails we ordered from their "list" were fantastic. I liked the "crisps" they brought to the table to snack on and I approved of their wine bottles filled with water that they leave on the table. Nice touches!

We ordered the spring rolls to start with, and while I am sure they were good, they weren't what we expected (cold, not hot) and since the temperature in the building was so chilly, I wanted warm food. It was our mistake in ordering though, not their's.

Our main courses made up for our flub. I ordered the Vietnamese Noodle Soup. It was perfection. They accompaniments of bean sprouts, hot sauce, and mint made my night.

My husband ordered the Flounder special and it may have been the most perfectly cooked piece of fish I have ever tasted. Alas, it was only the evening special.

We ordered two coffees (they bring out individual press pots for the service, which I LOVED). Also, we tried two different desserts, their coconut creme brulee and the chocolate pot. Both just what I was looking for....not too sweet, but just right as Goldilocks would have said.

I think for only being open two weeks they are headed down the right path. It's not a place I would go to all the time, but I definitely will find myself back there.
no avatar
User

Annie K.

{ RANK }

Just got here

Sun Apr 15, 2007 4:00 pm

Basa is a must try!

by Annie K. » Sun Apr 15, 2007 5:58 pm

My girlfriends and I heard the buzz about this new restaurant, Basa on Frankfort Ave. and were dying to try it.

First time going my girlfriends and I were welcomed by the friendly, inviting staff and then taken by the stylish décor and ambiance of the space. We felt as though we were in a restaurant in New York or San Fran. The vibe was warm and inviting. Immediately impressed by the staff and ambience we couldn’t wait to taste the wine and food.

We coursed it out, starting first with the refreshing Lychee Spritzer on the tantalizing cocktail menu, which really wet our appetites.

We then moved to Basa’s exceptional wine list (which is priced extremely reasonable). Per our server’s recommendation we shared a bottle of The Furst Riesling. This wine features zippy acidity, solid presence and a nice finish. It paired perfectly with our scallops, spring rolls and shrimp dish appetizers that we shared. We unanimously concurred the scallops were the best we have ever had (the celery puree that accompanies it is off all charts). The cold spring rolls and shrimp dishes were so refreshing. Just the perfect hint of mint in the rolls.

Incredibly pleased with each appetizer we moved to the interesting list of modern Vietnamese entrées. Indecisive because everything sounded perfectly delicious we each tried a different dish. Lets just say I haven’t stopped craving the Ahi Tuna. My friends agreed the Shaking Beef and Eggplant dish were the best they have ever had!

The flavor, freshness and potion size of the food is perfect. You simply feel good about eating Basa’s food and feel so warm while taking in the stylish inviting ambiance and professional, exceptional service. I can’t wait to go back again and again. It is the perfect addition to Frankfort Ave.

:D
Next