Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Cakes

User

MichaelDrane

{ RANK }

Just got here

Sun Mar 09, 2008 11:50 pm

Louisville

Cakes

by MichaelDrane » Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:37 am

Rarely will you find cakes on the dessert menu it seems these days. However I just recently had the Lemon Sunshine cake at Cafe Lou Lou and it was quite possibly the piece of cake I have ever had. Very moist, the icing wasn't too sugar laden and the lemon-lime cream toping was the perfect touch. I know Sweet Surrender has incredible cakes, however does anyone know of other full service restaurants with splendid cakes on the menu?
Michael Drane
Managing Partner- Louisville
Creation Gardens
What Chefs Want
(502) 457-4147
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

Re: Cakes

by Mark R. » Mon Jun 02, 2008 11:05 am

MichaelDrane wrote:. . . does anyone know of other full service restaurants with splendid cakes on the menu?

Nobody else can have cakes as good as Cafe Lou Lou since they don't have Marsha making their cakes. Marsha, who participates regularly in this formum certainly makes some of the best cakes in town!
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
User

Marsha L.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:56 pm

Louisville, KY

by Marsha L. » Mon Jun 02, 2008 2:30 pm

Aw, shucks you guys! :mrgreen:

Everybody loves cake. I don't know why more restaurants don't have them on their dessert menu. Lemon Sunshine is my "constant" cake special for spring, but I throw another one into the mix from time to time, just so we don't get bored. Right now in addition to lemon I'm running a peanut butter cake with peanut butter/cream cheese frosting.
Marsha Lynch
LEO columnist, free range cook/food writer/food stylist
User

Tom Holstein

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Nov 02, 2007 8:55 am

Derby City :)

by Tom Holstein » Mon Jun 02, 2008 2:45 pm

Marsha L. wrote: Right now in addition to lemon I'm running a peanut butter cake with peanut butter/cream cheese frosting.

HolyCow......I swooned an' fell off my perch. Peanut butter has caused me to attend meetings.... :lol:
User

Rebecca Clark

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jun 12, 2007 8:57 pm

by Rebecca Clark » Mon Jun 02, 2008 3:49 pm

Tom Holstein wrote:HolyCow......I swooned an' fell off my perch. Peanut butter has caused me to attend meetings.... :lol:

The "HolyCow" comment from the BCD cracked me up!!!! :lol: :mrgreen:
"Save the neck for me, Clark!" - Cousin Eddie
User

Leah S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:31 pm

Old Louisville

by Leah S » Mon Jun 02, 2008 4:44 pm

Marsha also makes a fabulous coconut cake, as mentioned often on this forum. I requested it specially for my birthday dinner last week at CLL. It was thoroughly enjoyed by all four of us!!
User

Marsha L.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Louisville, KY

by Marsha L. » Mon Jun 02, 2008 4:49 pm

Leah, that is high praise indeed, coming from such an accomplished *actual* pastry chef as you.
Marsha Lynch
User

Leah S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:31 pm

Old Louisville

by Leah S » Tue Jun 03, 2008 7:59 am

You are an "actual" pastry chef!
User

Scott Schamel

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:02 am

Louisville, KY

by Scott Schamel » Tue Jun 03, 2008 2:00 pm

We have cakes from time to time at The Bluegrass Bistro. My wife makes a Citrus cake with a cream cheese icing that is out of this world. Thursday, I will have Carrot Cake and a Rum Bundt Cake.
If you keep looking back, you will miss what's ahead....
no avatar
User

Michelle R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed May 30, 2007 1:28 pm

Hikes Point

by Michelle R. » Tue Jun 03, 2008 2:18 pm

Did I see the words "peanut butter" and "cake" in one sentence? OMG. It might be time for a much-overdue trip to Cafe LouLou!
"If you're gonna be a bear, be a grizzly!"
no avatar
User

Scott Endres

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jan 16, 2008 8:13 pm

Crescent Hill

by Scott Endres » Tue Jun 03, 2008 6:51 pm

I just had Marsha's Lemon Sunshine Cake for the first time earlier this evening, and I have to say that it takes the....umm...uh...well, you know. The combination of whip cream, cake and icing was fantastic. In fact, the whipped cream almost made it feel like a lemon cake/pie. Great stuff! :D
Have a Good Day!
Scott

Teaching Is Too Important to Take Seriously!
http://www.paperwadideas.com
no avatar
User

Michelle R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Hikes Point

by Michelle R. » Wed Jun 04, 2008 3:33 pm

Marsha's lemon sunshine cake IS fabulous, as are her coconut cake, berries/champagne sorbet, and banana pudding. I can only imagine what she can do for peanut butter.
User

Marsha L.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Louisville, KY

by Marsha L. » Wed Jun 04, 2008 3:43 pm

Michelle R. wrote:Marsha's lemon sunshine cake IS fabulous, as are her coconut cake, berries/champagne sorbet, and banana pudding. I can only imagine what she can do for peanut butter.

C'mon, Michelle. You need to come try my peanut butter cake for yourself! Also: today's sorbet is Mango-Mandarin, and it's a winner. I threw some rosemary simple syrup in there but it's very very subtle. Yummy!
Marsha Lynch
User

Tom Holstein

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Nov 02, 2007 8:55 am

Derby City :)

by Tom Holstein » Wed Jun 04, 2008 7:14 pm

Michelle R. wrote:Marsha's lemon sunshine cake IS fabulous, as are her coconut cake, berries/champagne sorbet, and banana pudding. I can only imagine what she can do for peanut butter.

What she can do.....it's just this side of HEAVEN! I had a piece of the Peanut Butter cake today....nearly passed out. :D

Someone near me had a piece. I discovered that by being able to smell it two tables away. I'd try to describe it but I'm at a loss for words. Just Do It!
no avatar
User

Michelle R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Hikes Point

by Michelle R. » Thu Jun 05, 2008 8:29 am

I might have to drag the hubby there. I do love me some peanut butter. Of course, I'm sure Marsha will do the civilized thing and remove all the fat and calories for me! ;)
Next