Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Casey J.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Mar 13, 2007 4:39 pm

Elizabethtown + Prospect

Best bakeries in Louisville ??

by Casey J. » Sun Jun 01, 2008 7:24 am

We have been to several of the bakeries in Louisville and my wife and I have found Plehns to be our favorite. Any suggestions on Louisville's finest?
The path to progress, though not always smooth, was blazed by men of restless intelligence, tinkerers seized with a vision of change.
User

Leah S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:31 pm

Old Louisville

Re: Best bakeries in Louisville ??

by Leah S » Sun Jun 01, 2008 7:28 am

I think it depends on what you're looking for. She places are better at donuts, some at cakes, some at pastries, breads, etc.
User

Casey J.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Mar 13, 2007 4:39 pm

Elizabethtown + Prospect

by Casey J. » Sun Jun 01, 2008 7:38 am

Leah s wrote:I think it depends on what you're looking for. She places are better at donuts, some at cakes, some at pastries, breads, etc.

How about adding some examples of all?

We enjoy Blue Dog for bread, Plehns for cookies and pastries, Sweet surrender for cakes. I am sure there are a lot more, we are trying to find some new ones to try.
The path to progress, though not always smooth, was blazed by men of restless intelligence, tinkerers seized with a vision of change.
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:48 am

by Ron Johnson » Sun Jun 01, 2008 7:38 am

Plehn's is my favorite old-school, German-style bakery for pastries, danish, and donuts. They also make excellent dinner rolls. Their cakes and pies are not as good.

Blue Dog is my favorite for bread. No one else is even close.

I've not found anyplace that bakes really good pies. Homemade Ice Cream and Pie Kitchen is probably closest contender.
no avatar
User

Aaron Newton

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 15, 2007 3:34 pm

by Aaron Newton » Sun Jun 01, 2008 7:57 am

Nord's has my favorite donuts, I'd be surprised if Blue Dog isn't the overwhelming response for breads.
no avatar
User

Michele Melillo-Clem

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:26 am

East Market Street

by Michele Melillo-Clem » Sun Jun 01, 2008 8:54 am

I'm not a doughnut muncher, though I am a doughnut lover. Oh, so many calories. But, having said that, hands down, Bussman Bakery on Frankfort Avenue has the best doughnuts in this city. When I pass them on the way to work I have to look the other way so I won't turn in and buy and eat a dozen of their cinnamon apple fritters. I think I gain weight just thinking about them.
It's the hand of the cook that expresses the heart.

Michele Melillo-Clem
User

Leah S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:31 pm

Old Louisville

by Leah S » Sun Jun 01, 2008 9:37 am

Well, definitely Blue Dog for bread (I don't think you'll find any arguments) And other than me and Marsha, Sweet Surrender does make great cake. I don't think that anyone in Louisville makes good pies. I haven't eaten a donut in years, but Nords and Bussmans are the two I hear mentioned most by people who do eat them. Ihaven't found really good cookies anywhere either, but my cookie standard is pretty high.

There is that little Latino bakery on Preston next to Luna Rosterica that is really good. Is it still there?
User

carla griffin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:32 pm

by carla griffin » Sun Jun 01, 2008 9:51 am

Loved Plehns when I lived in St Matthews. Had a couple of fantastic cakes from Heitzman's but I also think I have to give a positive stroke to the new little bakery in Hikes Point off Taylorsville Rd. I forget the name, "A Little Bakery", "The Neighborhood Bakery"? She does some great gluten free treats allowing those with that kind of intolerance to enjoy some tasty treats.
There are still some ethnic bakeries I haven't had the chance to try yet that may cause me to realign my picks.
Carla
There is one thing more exasperating than a wife who can cook and won't, and that's a wife who can't cook and will. ~Robert Frost
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:48 am

by Ron Johnson » Sun Jun 01, 2008 10:40 am

Get a jelly donut at Plehn's and then get anywhere else. Plehns uses a real, high-quality fruit jam in their donut. Everyone else uses that neon-colored glop.
no avatar
User

Aaron Newton

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Aaron Newton » Sun Jun 01, 2008 11:12 am

carla griffin wrote:Loved Plehns when I lived in St Matthews. Had a couple of fantastic cakes from Heitzman's but I also think I have to give a positive stroke to the new little bakery in Hikes Point off Taylorsville Rd. I forget the name, "A Little Bakery", "The Neighborhood Bakery"? She does some great gluten free treats allowing those with that kind of intolerance to enjoy some tasty treats.
There are still some ethnic bakeries I haven't had the chance to try yet that may cause me to realign my picks.

Small Times Bakery, and I agree, they are pretty good. When I don't wanna make the drive on a Sat morning for Nord's, Small Times serves as an excellent sub. Had a Banana-Nut donut there a few weeks ago that both I and my wife really liked.
no avatar
User

Aaron Newton

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Aaron Newton » Sun Jun 01, 2008 11:14 am

Ron Johnson wrote:Get a jelly donut at Plehn's and then get anywhere else. Plehns uses a real, high-quality fruit jam in their donut. Everyone else uses that neon-colored glop.

I can see where that would be appealing if you like jelly donuts. Never cared for them in general myself - i tend cream fillings if I go with any filling at all.
no avatar
User

Kimberly JW

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:25 pm

by Kimberly JW » Sun Jun 01, 2008 12:42 pm

Adrianes (sp?) in Jeffersonville has great cookies, and everything else I have tried there is wonderful too. Still love Kizito cookies.
no avatar
User

Melissa S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 3:03 pm

by Melissa S » Sun Jun 01, 2008 12:56 pm

The Fresh Market has, in my opinion, excellent cakes, cookies and pastries. Their prices are also very reasonable. I believe they make most of their baked goods on site. They make a fantastic strawberry shortcake as does Whole Foods.
Still looking for a great cannoli with a fresh baked shell. Any ideas? I usually have to have them shipped from Boston for my hubby's birthday and the shipping cost more then the product.
User

Ed Vermillion

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:32 pm

38 degrees 25' 25' N 85 degrees 36' 2' W

by Ed Vermillion » Sun Jun 01, 2008 1:23 pm

Melissa S wrote:Still looking for a great cannoli with a fresh baked shell. Any ideas? I usually have to have them shipped from Boston for my hubby's birthday and the shipping cost more then the product.

Steve-O's Italian in Buckner has great homemade cannoli. 222-0300
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sun Jun 01, 2008 1:49 pm

Melissa S wrote:Still looking for a great cannoli with a fresh baked shell. Any ideas?

Melillo's?
Next