Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Region's best package beer stores?

by Robin Garr » Tue May 27, 2008 5:33 pm

Okay, beer nuts ... help us out with another important consumer service over here.

Switching over from our regular discussions of brewpubs, beer bars and tap rooms, let's talk about package retail beer: Looking at the greater Louisville metro area on both sides of the Ohio, where are the best places to buy beer at retail, bottle or six-pack? Tell us about your favorites, and tell us why you love them.
no avatar
User

Marsha L.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:56 pm

Louisville, KY

Re: Region's best package beer stores?

by Marsha L. » Tue May 27, 2008 5:46 pm

Old Town Liquors (you can still mix six-packs there!) and Valu Market in the Highlands (what an amazing beer cave!)

Edited to add: State Liquors in St. Matthews. First place I found Heavy Seas.
Marsha Lynch
LEO columnist, free range cook/food writer/food stylist
no avatar
User

Scott_Shreffler

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Aug 21, 2007 7:05 pm

by Scott_Shreffler » Tue May 27, 2008 6:32 pm

Wow! Lots to choose from. First of all, lots of love for The Keg in Clarksville. Todd always keeps the selection interesting, and I can't wait to see what he will be able to do once the new store is finished. This would be my first choice, if for no other reason than the fact that they are closest store to me that carries Three Floyds' line. That is my own personal pick. Here in Louisville, I would go with the three stores Marsha listed, add Whole Foods to the mix (even though it isn't technically a package store), and I'd have to finish off with Liquor Barn, because they just have a ridiculous amount of beer. Prospect Party Center and Party Mart on Brownsboro are both good stores too.
Life is too short to drink cheap beer.
-Hunter S. Thompson
no avatar
User

Sue H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat May 05, 2007 12:08 am

by Sue H » Tue May 27, 2008 7:42 pm

Keg Liquors
Value Market (Mid City Mall)
Whole Foods
Evergreen Liquors (Shelbyville Road)
no avatar
User

Jackie R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Mar 06, 2007 3:48 pm

Highlands

by Jackie R. » Tue May 27, 2008 7:53 pm

I definately have to go with Old Town because of the mix-match option. (haven't been to Keg Liquors, though) What other places in town allow that?
no avatar
User

Shawn Vest

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Jul 15, 2007 9:10 pm

850 main street, charlestown, indiana

by Shawn Vest » Tue May 27, 2008 8:15 pm

well you know us hoosiers have to stick together

The Keg wins hands down
1. the only place that i can walk into and ask for a recommendation and feel confident that the guy behind the counter has tried this beer and knows his stuff
2. the only place that i can walk into and see more than a dozen beers that i've never tasted
3. i met the owner at a beer festival - 'nuff said
4. local, local, local

runners up are the
liquor barns (based on quantity and overall variety of products, beer knowledge can be seriously lacking though, but you can find a treasure or two that gets buried in the back of the shelves)
old town (good selection, good beer know how, great deals from time to time)

shawn
Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza. D Barry
www.ctownpizzaco.com
850 MAIN 812-256-2699
no avatar
User

S Cruz

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Feb 27, 2008 2:42 pm

401 East Main St. @ Slugger Field

by S Cruz » Tue May 27, 2008 8:31 pm

oldtown (bardstown rd). good for its size.
Eat, Drink, and Be Merry.
no avatar
User

Caleb Weber

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Dec 01, 2007 9:08 pm

by Caleb Weber » Tue May 27, 2008 8:54 pm

keg liquors is the best, for a thousand reasons.

liquor barns are second, with the hurstbourne one being my favorite, and the fern valley rd one my least favorite.

party mart on brownsboro is pretty awesome and you can find some stuff there that you can't get anywhere else in louisville, such as goose islands 'brewmaster' beers like the bourbon barrel stout, imperial ipa and the pere jacques.

old town is good too if you're drinking in the highlands, and mixing sixers is awesome (plus the 10% discount if you get a full 6 pack), but the selection of beer could be a lot better and larger. it really doesn't have that much more than bombay has, and that's just a little grocery store/corner mart.
no avatar
User

Jeremy Markle

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jul 09, 2007 2:58 pm

In my car

by Jeremy Markle » Tue May 27, 2008 10:36 pm

You can mix/match beers at all the Liquor Barns.
Check out the new http://www.kentuckyale.com
no avatar
User

Tom Holstein

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Nov 02, 2007 8:55 am

Derby City :)

by Tom Holstein » Wed May 28, 2008 8:23 am

Todd and crew at Keg Liquors are the best I've been exposed to. While I'm still a fairly new beer fan, I have visited several beer stores in Kentuckiana. Todd's expert advice, 350+ beer selection and ability to purchase single bottles makes my choice simple.

Those who are more advanced in love of brews have spoke here.....
http://www.ratebeer.com/RateBeerBest/ta ... _2008b.csv
Keg Liquors..........rated 14th BEST BEER Retailer in the World by Rate Beer.

Keg's new store will surely improve choices.

Viva Fest of Ale :D
no avatar
User

jpdurbin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 4:23 pm

Louisville, KY

by jpdurbin » Wed May 28, 2008 8:35 am

I like Old Towne and Valumarket but no mention of the Bodega at Felice. The Bodega has many different 'interesting' beer and sell by the bottle.
Johnathan P. Durbin
http://jpdurbin.net/
A Member of http://www.ThePCGurus.com
no avatar
User

Rob Coffey

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:17 pm

by Rob Coffey » Wed May 28, 2008 10:56 am

Sue H wrote:Keg Liquors
Value Market (Mid City Mall)
Whole Foods
Evergreen Liquors (Shelbyville Road)

Have to disagree on Evergreen. The Party Outlet on Shelbyville is much better, both in selection and especially price.
Evergreen is overpriced, IMO. Party Outlet doesnt have quite the selection of the Liquor Barns, however. But, its more
convenient to me. Evergreen would be even more convenient, but its pricing drives me away.
no avatar
User

Richard Rush

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:36 am

by Richard Rush » Wed May 28, 2008 1:58 pm

Living in New Albany I tend to shop over here. Hence, my top 2 would be Keg Liquors in Clarksville and Old Mill in New Albany for sheer proximity and a decent selection.
no avatar
User

Ethan Ray

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:30 pm

by Ethan Ray » Wed May 28, 2008 2:02 pm

When i'm on the proverbial "beer quest", (locally) i frequent:

Keg Liquors
Old Town Wine and Spirits
Liquor Barn
Whole Foods
Party Mart
Bridge Liquors (New Albany)

Caleb Weber wrote:party mart on brownsboro is pretty awesome and you can find some stuff there that you can't get anywhere else in louisville, such as goose islands 'brewmaster' beers like the bourbon barrel stout, imperial ipa and the pere jacques.

You can find Goose Island Brewmaster Series beers at a number of other places than just Party Mart.

I'm also surprised to see that no one has mentioned you can purchase "beer to go" at NABC/Rich O's - and that purchasing beers this way is cheaper than the prices on the beer list, and consume it there.

Roger could explain better.
Ethan Ray

I put vegetables in your desserts, white chocolate with your fish and other nonsense stuff that you think shouldn't make sense, but coax the nonsense into something that makes complete sense in your mouth. Just open your mind, mouth and eat.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed May 28, 2008 2:09 pm

Ethan Ray wrote:I'm also surprised to see that no one has mentioned you can purchase "beer to go" at NABC/Rich O's - and that purchasing beers this way is cheaper than the prices on the beer list, and consume it there.

Good point, but note that you can get growlers at most of the regional brewpubs. That's really outside the scope of this question, though, where we're looking at package retail for bottled beer.
Next