Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Beer Beer Wonderful Beer!

no avatar
User

Brad W

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 30, 2008 2:38 pm

Liquor Barn Louisville

Re: Beer Beer Wonderful Beer!

by Brad W » Tue May 27, 2008 10:26 am

I think most people think of "domestics" as being Bud/Miller/Coors/PBR/Old MIl, etc.

Even though Goose Island is a string-puppet of AB, I would put it in a category named "American Craft" or "craft brewed"which includes most micro's small and large and regional breweries, implying that it is something more than plain, yellow fizz like the domestic category. Don't get me wrong...the domestics have their place in our society but lumping in IPA's, wheat beers with Budweiser is a disservice to lots of creative individuals.

Just my 2 cents....which buys nothing these days. :cry:
no avatar
User

Rob Coffey

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:17 pm

by Rob Coffey » Tue May 27, 2008 10:31 am

Brad W wrote:I think most people think of "domestics" as being Bud/Miller/Coors/PBR/Old MIl, etc.

Even though Goose Island is a string-puppet of AB, I would put it in a category named "American Craft" or "craft brewed"which includes most micro's small and large and regional breweries, implying that it is something more than plain, yellow fizz like the domestic category. Don't get me wrong...the domestics have their place in our society but lumping in IPA's, wheat beers with Budweiser is a disservice to lots of creative individuals.

domestic - indigenous to or produced or made within one's own country; not foreign; native

Thats my point, not that craft and BMC should be grouped together. Change the word domestic to "American Macro Beer"* or something. It also bothers me when places list american beers under "imports".

* Technically, only Bud is american now. Miller and Coors are foreign beers now.
no avatar
User

Roger A. Baylor

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:01 pm

New Albany

by Roger A. Baylor » Tue May 27, 2008 10:36 am

The important thing is educating people to make these distinctions themselves. As for me, there are rough categories: Imports that are worth the time, American beers that are worth the time, and Swill. The latter usually doubles as "domestic."

Another thought on the thread: "Expensive" may be a relative term, but at this precise moment, with the soon-to-be-deposed regime maintaining a pitifully weak dollar, Imports worth the time are going to be pricey (Ayinger falls into that category). What continues to amaze me is the per glass price that wine lovers pay without blinking, compared to what even the most savvy beer enthusiasts regard as the proper price point for beer. Again, education is the thing that enables drinkers to differentiate. Eight bucks for a 10-oz draft Chimay is not unreasonable given what it is and how much it costs wholesale. Five bucks for a 12-14 oz Stella is pure "what the market will bear" robbery. Then again, I detest Stella.

Believe it or not, I'm off to work to finish the overhaul of the bottle list.
Roger A. Baylor
Beer Director at Pints&union (New Albany)
Digital Editor at Food & Dining Magazine
New Albany, Indiana
no avatar
User

Roger A. Baylor

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:01 pm

New Albany

by Roger A. Baylor » Tue May 27, 2008 10:39 am

Rob Coffey wrote: domestic - indigenous to or produced or made within one's own country; not foreign; native

Thats my point, not that craft and BMC should be grouped together. Change the word domestic to "American Macro Beer"* or something. It also bothers me when places list american beers under "imports".

* Technically, only Bud is american now. Miller and Coors are foreign beers now.

LOL: If I had a dime for every time a server has included Blue Moon as an import, I'd have enough money to live in Europe.
Roger A. Baylor
Beer Director at Pints&union (New Albany)
Digital Editor at Food & Dining Magazine
New Albany, Indiana
no avatar
User

Garrett Hoover

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun May 25, 2008 9:50 am

louisville

by Garrett Hoover » Tue May 27, 2008 10:43 am

Rob Coffey wrote:
Brad W wrote:I think most people think of "domestics" as being Bud/Miller/Coors/PBR/Old MIl, etc.

domestic - indigenous to or produced or made within one's own country; not foreign; native

Now now If you want to get technical AB is A publicly traded company And it's largest investor is an english company whose net profit each year is the equivalent of the gross profit of AB's entire sales in the state of Texas. So what do you truly consider American, I feel the lines have truly been blured . I do agree with your line of thought though.
It's all fun and games till someone puts an eye out! Then it's just fun and games you can't see!
no avatar
User

Shawn Vest

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Jul 15, 2007 9:10 pm

850 main street, charlestown, indiana

by Shawn Vest » Tue May 27, 2008 10:59 am

i think Swill is the best nomenclature for the bud, miller, coors, stellas, coronas, and heinekens of the world
and given that neither miller/coors or ab are "american" (and that AB is seekeing to nab In Bev) - the line for import vs domestic is already blurred

maybe we should just use the terms good beer and swill

Roger's point about the price points of wine is right on

good beer is more expensive than swill, there is no way around that

my favorite beer retails at liquor stores for around $7-9 for one 11.2 oz bottle and considering the quality of the beer, it is worth every penny (rochefort 10)

just my 2 pennies worth

shawn
Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza. D Barry
www.ctownpizzaco.com
850 MAIN 812-256-2699
no avatar
User

Broc Smith

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Feb 24, 2008 6:56 pm

by Broc Smith » Tue May 27, 2008 11:01 am

If you move to Europe, you can enjoy Blue Moon as an import!!!
no avatar
User

Rob Coffey

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Rob Coffey » Tue May 27, 2008 11:03 am

Roger A. Baylor wrote:
Rob Coffey wrote: domestic - indigenous to or produced or made within one's own country; not foreign; native

LOL: If I had a dime for every time a server has included Blue Moon as an import, I'd have enough money to live in Europe.

My favorite is when places have "$2 domestic draft happy hour" and then charge you $5 for a Two Hearted.

As far as Blue Moon goes, now that its made by Molson/Coors, I guess calling it an import (even though it is still made in the US) is okay. Sort of like calling a car made in Georgetown an import.
no avatar
User

David R. Pierce

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:02 pm

by David R. Pierce » Tue May 27, 2008 11:21 am

Rob Coffey wrote:
My favorite is when places have "$2 domestic draft happy hour" and then charge you $5 for a Two Hearted.

As far as Blue Moon goes, now that its made by Molson/Coors, I guess calling it an import (even though it is still made in the US) is okay. Sort of like calling a car made in Georgetown an import.

My favorite occurs in our Tap Room all the time:

Customer: Don't you have any domestic beer?
Bartender: Our beer is made fifty feet from here (pointing toward the brewery)
Customer: Yeah but do you have any domestic beer?
Bartender: I guess if we moved the brewery into this room it would be more domestic?
Customer: Never mind, I'll have a bourbon & coke.
Bartender: (looking at a back bar void of any liquor) We only serve beer we make here and ice water.
Customer: You'll never make it...
Cheers,
David R. Pierce
The Original BBC Brewmaster
Bluegrass Brewing Co.
St. Matthews branch
Craft Brewing Louisville continuously since 1992
no avatar
User

Rob Coffey

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Rob Coffey » Tue May 27, 2008 11:30 am

David R. Pierce wrote:

Heh.

How do you put up with the regular "Give me whatever tastes the most like Bud Light." Or do
you just serve them ice water?
no avatar
User

David R. Pierce

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:02 pm

by David R. Pierce » Tue May 27, 2008 12:02 pm

Rob Coffey wrote:
David R. Pierce wrote:

Heh.

How do you put up with the regular "Give me whatever tastes the most like Bud Light." Or do
you just serve them ice water?

Generally, we offer our Amber Ale, then Gold. The Gold still has more "flavor molecules" then the average swill.
Cheers,
David R. Pierce
The Original BBC Brewmaster
Bluegrass Brewing Co.
St. Matthews branch
Craft Brewing Louisville continuously since 1992
no avatar
User

Brad W

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 30, 2008 2:38 pm

Liquor Barn Louisville

by Brad W » Tue May 27, 2008 12:50 pm

Using the term "domestic" is more of an industry term that has been thrown around for the last couple of decades more than one consumers usually go by so it's true, it's not a technically correct situation. One of those things that just is and hardly gets questioned but I guess really needs to be.

Probably time for a campaign to straighten it out on Menus. Kind of like, "why is Brut champagne drier than Extra-dry"...seems wrong...or if Congress actually did something worthwhile...they'd be called Progress(George Carlin).

I probably need to adjust my vocabulary...I use this currently: domestic, cheap domestic, import(for imported swill), imported craft(for quality products), American craft, Micro(for the smaller guys), and brewpub.

AB is considering a deal from INBEV as I type this, so it could also fall by the wayside and be considered a true foriegn-owned brewery before too long.

Molson/Coors/SAB/Miller and now INBEV/AB...seems like it keeps changing once a year. A few years from now...who knows...
no avatar
User

David Clancy

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:09 pm

A couch in Andy's house.

by David Clancy » Tue May 27, 2008 4:13 pm

Brad W wrote:Using the term "domestic" is more of an industry term that has been thrown around for the last couple of decades more than one consumers usually go by so it's true, it's not a technically correct situation. One of those things that just is and hardly gets questioned but I guess really needs to be.

Probably time for a campaign to straighten it out on Menus. Kind of like, "why is Brut champagne drier than Extra-dry"...seems wrong...or if Congress actually did something worthwhile...they'd be called Progress(George Carlin).

I probably need to adjust my vocabulary...I use this currently: domestic, cheap domestic, import(for imported swill), imported craft(for quality products), American craft, Micro(for the smaller guys), and brewpub.

AB is considering a deal from INBEV as I type this, so it could also fall by the wayside and be considered a true foriegn-owned brewery before too long.

Molson/Coors/SAB/Miller and now INBEV/AB...seems like it keeps changing once a year. A few years from now...who knows...
Hi Brad! To clarify (from my original post), I put "the usual suspects" under domestic (I.E. Bud/Coors/MGD/etc. etc.) to differentiate between how important those beers "should" (not) be, versus those craft/micro/interesting beers that are currently on the market, and they are the ones that we seek out to make the world safe for democracy........I put AB/Coors/Miller Et.al in the same tent as Walmart/Gannett/ etc. and any tentacles or "sell out's" are alway's suspect in my mind.......JMHO
David Clancy
Fabulous Old Louisville
(Is this your homework Larry?)
no avatar
User

Marsha L.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:56 pm

Louisville, KY

by Marsha L. » Tue May 27, 2008 4:17 pm

Here's a link I stumbled upon:

The 10 best beer names ever
Marsha Lynch
LEO columnist, free range cook/food writer/food stylist
no avatar
User

Scott_Shreffler

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Aug 21, 2007 7:05 pm

by Scott_Shreffler » Tue May 27, 2008 4:22 pm

Matt B wrote:Since we are talking about beer, what is everyones opinion on Dogfish Heads Burton Baton. I snagged a pack the other day and really liked it. I am not a big fan of their 90 minute but felt like this one had a little more balance. I went back out and got some more for the cellar...right next to my case of Bells Hopslam...

I love the Burton Baton. I'm glad it's not a one off batch, as I believe it was first intended when it was released last year for the first time. Of course, I have a major beer crush on Dogfish Head. I just had their Palo Santo the other day for the first time. "A Brown Ale aged in oak" doesn't even begin to describe the complexities of this beer. Sam and company can do no wrong IMHO.

To add one more thing to the German discussion from before, any good beer geek who hasn't already, needs to try the Schneider and Brooklyn Hopfen-Weisse collaboration. A German Hefeweizen dry-hopped with Hallertau hops. It is the perfect summer beer. Just had another bottle of it the other day, and I love it.
Life is too short to drink cheap beer.
-Hunter S. Thompson
PreviousNext