Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

WHere have all the basic spoons gone?

no avatar
User

Bedford Crenshaw

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri May 18, 2007 12:12 am

Jeffersonville, Indiana

WHere have all the basic spoons gone?

by Bedford Crenshaw » Wed May 21, 2008 11:09 am

We've been going to a lot of restaurants lately that don't have a basic, normal teaspoon available. They have tablespoons and soup spoons. and maybe those long handle ice tea spoons, but your basic spoon is AWOL. What gives? What's wrong with your basic spoon that it is no longer at many restaurants?
Have you hugged your penguin today?
no avatar
User

MikeG

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 3:22 pm

Twin Cities, MN

Re: WHere have all the basic spoons gone?

by MikeG » Wed May 21, 2008 11:33 am

I am upset that I cnat find sporks. Seriously I want to get actual silverware sporks for my house.
I am the original Mike G, never mind the impostor.

I am kind of a big deal.
no avatar
User

Mike Hardin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:24 am

by Mike Hardin » Wed May 21, 2008 3:02 pm

You can find titanium sporks at many camping and outdoor places.
no avatar
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Wed May 21, 2008 3:14 pm

Another spoon that is very difficult to find these days is a round (bowl) soup spoon. Tablespoons (oval soup spoons) are everywhere as a replacement. Neither restaurants nor stores seem to have them anymore. I recently wanted to purchase a set as a gift and spent many days searching, when I finally found them at Chelsea market and ordered them online I was disappointed when bullion spoons were shipped instead. When I called them, they explained that the round soup spoons were no longer available so they shipped what they had? To me the bowl spoons are much easier to eat with and they hold more.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed May 21, 2008 3:57 pm

Mike Hardin wrote:You can find titanium sporks at many camping and outdoor places.

I want titanium sporks fitted with rhinestones. Nothing but the best for my table!
no avatar
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Wed May 21, 2008 6:25 pm

I want titanium sporks fitted with rhinestones. Nothing but the best for my table!

Hey Robin,

If you find them, I want some too! :lol:
no avatar
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Wed May 21, 2008 6:31 pm

Has anybody trying to buy bowled soup spoons checked at Dine? We had bowled soup spoons for our Cooking Classes and purchased them there. To my memory, they were in stock and very inexpensive from a consumer point of view. Nice looking too! (don't know about sporks though... :wink: )

Deb
no avatar
User

Tony D.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Apr 24, 2007 2:29 am

by Tony D. » Wed May 21, 2008 10:15 pm

I have been searching for bowled soup spoons for about the last twenty years, they seem to have gone out of style for a while. The Dine Store does have several on display which they sell by the dozen. None of them looked as deep as my favorite silverplate soup spoons from my grandmother's first set, but I have a mind to take one over and see how closely they match up. They have a pegboard with many forks, knives, and spoons available by the dozen. The store is friendly to the general public but not particularly inexpensive. Chances are that if you ever cooked food for more than your immediate family you will probably find some useful items there.

http://www.dinecompany.com/