Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Irish Rover

no avatar
User

Kris Billiter

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:12 am

Downtown

Irish Rover

by Kris Billiter » Tue May 20, 2008 12:45 pm

Just thought I would post our experience at the Irish Rover last night. There was a group of about 13 of us including two toddlers so we were able to get the space upstairs. It was my first tip there and I was very impressed! We started with several apps including the chicken cordon bleu fritters which were my favorite by far. There were several orders of the fish and chips and the cottage pie. I had the pie and my wife and the fish and they were both excellent. Everyone seemed very pleased with their meal and the desserts were great as well. I had the spice cake which was fantastic though I was eying the bread and butter pudding someone else had. That thing was huge! Our server, Mark I believe, did a great job of taking care of us. All and all a great meal and I look forward to going back!

Kris
no avatar
User

thommy browne

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Oct 26, 2007 10:21 pm

Louisville

Re: Irsih Rover

by thommy browne » Tue May 20, 2008 1:21 pm

I was there last Thursday night for a wedding rehearsal dinner (upstairs as well) and our waiters did an excellent job. Keeping up with a big party w/ loud children is not fun. Bravo Irish Rover!
no avatar
User

Leah S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:31 pm

Old Louisville

by Leah S » Tue May 20, 2008 1:32 pm

We always enjoy the Rover. Consistent food, prompt service, excellent pricing. For a mid-week dinner, it's on our regular rotation.
no avatar
User

Bill Veneman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:35 pm

East End outside of the Watterson, but not afraid to travel for good grub

by Bill Veneman » Tue May 20, 2008 2:21 pm

I LOVE THE ROVER!!!!!!!!!!! Always have to have a Scotch Egg when I go......and the service is always spot on.
If life's a Banquet, what's with all the Tofu?

Cheers!

Bill V.
no avatar
User

MichelleJ

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Nov 02, 2007 11:47 am

Highlands

by MichelleJ » Tue May 20, 2008 3:00 pm

My love of the Rover is well known. I eat there just about once a week. I get twitchy if I go more than a week without it.
Consuming Louisville
very good things to do, buy & eat in the River City

http://www.consuminglouisville.com
no avatar
User

Linda C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:38 pm

Re: Irish Rover

by Linda C » Tue May 20, 2008 4:34 pm

We took our church music ensemble there recently and it was great! They must have an excellent system going on there because the service is good, never harried or rushed and the atmosphere is always pleasant. It's 1000% better now that the place is smoke free!!
no avatar
User

carla griffin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:32 pm

by carla griffin » Tue May 20, 2008 5:53 pm

Has my favorite fish sandwich in town.
Carla
There is one thing more exasperating than a wife who can cook and won't, and that's a wife who can't cook and will. ~Robert Frost
no avatar
User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:09 pm

The rolling acres of Henry County

by RonnieD » Tue May 20, 2008 5:58 pm

The wife and I crave the fish n' chips and cottage pie. Need to plan a return trip!
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY
no avatar
User

Casey J.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Mar 13, 2007 4:39 pm

Elizabethtown + Prospect

by Casey J. » Tue May 20, 2008 6:37 pm

We really enjoy the ROVER. Michael, the owner, gave us a lot of great Ireland advice. We went to Ireland for 8 days last month and he gave us a lot of non-touristy advice. It was very helpful.
Last edited by Casey J. on Wed May 21, 2008 4:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
The path to progress, though not always smooth, was blazed by men of restless intelligence, tinkerers seized with a vision of change.
no avatar
User

MarieP

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:56 pm

St. Matthews

by MarieP » Tue May 20, 2008 10:08 pm

My favorite meal there is the salmon potato au gratin! Add to that a Scotch egg, their bread (yay free bread!), and a berry trifle cake for dessert, and I'm set.