Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Chicken Vesuvio?

no avatar
User

Scott_Shreffler

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Aug 21, 2007 7:05 pm

Chicken Vesuvio?

by Scott_Shreffler » Mon May 19, 2008 6:40 pm

My wife and I are heading to Chicago in June for my mom's birthday. We are having her birthday dinner at Harry Carey's, and I was looking at the menu for the dinner. One thing I saw listed was Chicken Vesuvio. Apparantly this is a Chicago specialty, but I have never heard of it. Anyone else familiar with it? It sounds good, from the very brief descriptions I have seen online. Just wondering if anyone recommends it, or if I should avoid it at all costs (although, I'm sure it's not that bad).
Life is too short to drink cheap beer.
-Hunter S. Thompson
no avatar
User

DMcGarity

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:55 pm

Re: Chicken Vesuvio?

by DMcGarity » Mon May 19, 2008 7:04 pm

Chicken Vesuvio is definetly a Chicago thing. It is usually a half of a chicken cut into pieces and kinda braised in a garlicy, buttery sauce with oregano and green peas. It is served with large wedge potatoes that are cooked in the broth with the chicken. It takes about 30 minutes to cook but it's really worth it for a properly cooked bone in chicken dish.
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

by Andrew Mellman » Tue May 20, 2008 3:25 am

If you're going to Harry Carey's I'd bite the bullet and get a steak . . . after all, it's a steakhouse, and steaks are what they're famous for.

The best chicago vesuvio is usually found at many of the Greek restaurants in town; they seem to have migrated to other ethnic foods at least in part due to people leaving the kitchens at the Greek restaurants to open their own ethnic restaurants (and/or diners, other types) and taking some of the more popular dishes with them, and then others (like Harry Carey's) searching for a chicken dish to offer and picking this.

(If you don't like heavy garlic, skip it . . . if you do like heavy garlic, it's worth a try) (and, Harry Carey's likely does a good version, it's just that they are famous for steaks)
Andrew Mellman
User

Mark P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jan 28, 2008 2:21 pm

by Mark P » Tue May 20, 2008 9:43 am

I agree with getting a steak, actually if you like surf and turf they do that well. However, the vesuvio is best with the bone in (they offer it both ways). I find it lacking something...not sure what.
no avatar
User

Scott_Shreffler

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Aug 21, 2007 7:05 pm

by Scott_Shreffler » Tue May 20, 2008 11:55 am

Unfortunately, it is a set menu dinner, with a few options for each course. I don't think there's a steak option. If I'm wrong, I'll follow the advice and get the steak. If not, I guess I'll take the plunge and try the Vesuvio.
Life is too short to drink cheap beer.
-Hunter S. Thompson