Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Primo for lunch

no avatar
User

Holly C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 1:53 am

Primo for lunch

by Holly C » Sun Apr 08, 2007 12:19 pm

I had the opportunity to be taken to lunch at Primo on Friday, and I was definitely excited and looking forward to it. My first experience at Primo was for Valentine's Day dinner, and I was very impressed. Knowing the V-day dinner had a special menu, I was looking forward to trying Primo again on a "normal" day.

I still want to go back to Primo for a "normal" dinner, but I don't think I'll be returning for lunch. The service was great, but the menu wasn't very interesting. Just salad, soup (no soup of the day that day, only the tomato and rosemary), pasta (choice of 3), a large selection of pizzas, and a hamburger and fish sandwich, seemingly included out of a sense of duty to do so.

We had a large group that day, and a lot of the group got the special of the day, cavatappi with salmon in a cream sauce (replacing the ravioli of the day). They all said it was delicious. I had the spaghetti with scallops and shrimp in a cream pesto. It was also delicious, although the shrimp and scallops were teeny (there were a lot of them, but not quite as impressive as fewer, larger pieces), and the serving was a little small for the price ($13). Someone else had the fish sandwich -- breaded perch. It was a pretty large piece of fish, and he said it was good, although he detected a disturbing number of scales under the breading and I noticed he didn't finish it. The other meal I took notice of was a pepperoni pizza -- thin bread, about 8-9" in diameter. That person said the pizza was also very good. I just wasn't really in a pizza sort of mood.

We all got dessert -- they had a molten chocolate cake, tiramisu, and lemon chiffon cake. All were delicious, but since they reportedly didn't have enough raspberries to give them to everyone who ordered the chocolate cake, none of us got any. :(

All the food was actually very good, which make my feelings about the place all the stranger. Nothing really jumped out at me when I looked at the menu, since I wasn't in the mood for pizza and I'm never in the mood for salad, and pasta initially seemed really heavy to me. So I guess that set the mood for the rest of the meal, even though what I ordered was really well made and tasty. In addition to that, it was more expensive than what I usually pay for lunch, so that plays a big part in me probably not going back for lunch.

I'm definitely still looking forward to going back for dinner, but lunch at Primo, though very good, is just not my thing.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Primo for lunch

by Robin Garr » Sun Apr 08, 2007 12:32 pm

Holly Cummings wrote:and a hamburger

Don't underestimate that hamburger! It's actually the old Allo Burger from Allo Spiedo, and it's not just a burger, it's actually a giant veal polpette with gorgonzola cheese. It's amazin'!

I've also had excellent luck with Primo's lunch salads, including a seafood salad once that was remarkably good.
no avatar
User

elaine m

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:54 am

East End

primo's lunch

by elaine m » Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:46 pm

Have to agree with Holly. I was at Primo's on Thursday for lunch with friends. We often do this .... check out restaurants at lunch, and the impressive ones get added to the 'dinner with the spouses' list. We were really impressed with the facility, but not so much by the food. While it was not bad, it really wasn't memorable either. I prodded a friend into ordering the burger, and, it was, in my opinion very good. Other entrees at the table included the ahi tuna salad, and the pasta dish with shrimp and scallops. Again, okay, but not outstanding. I understand that the evening menu is more elaborate, but if a restaurant does not insinuate it's best effort into the luncheon menu, it may not get an opportunity to win the return visit.
Of all the things that I've lost, I miss my mind the most!
no avatar
User

Amy A

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:34 pm

Jeffersonville

by Amy A » Sun Apr 08, 2007 5:41 pm

I love Primo's! It is one of my favorite places in town.
no avatar
User

Charles W.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:53 pm

Schnitzelburg

by Charles W. » Sun Apr 08, 2007 7:42 pm

Amy A wrote:I love Primo's! It is one of my favorite places in town.

I just went there for lunch the other day--is one of my favorites. I agree that the lunch menu is not nearly as extensive as some other places: several salads, lots of pizzas, a few sandwiches, and a pasta and meat entree. Since I love the Romaine salad, the pizzas, and often the specials, I can always find something to eat. They do a few things well.
no avatar
User

Jeremy J

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Mar 20, 2007 11:30 am

Louisville, KY

by Jeremy J » Sun Apr 08, 2007 8:01 pm

I work at Primo, and I worked one lunch shift and quickly decided that i would never work another one. I really just think that what we do at dinner is fantastic, and takes time. People at lunch are looking for a quick, inexpensive, meal and I just don't think that's what Primo is about. I felt that it turned the customer and the server against each other...tables looked at me as if I, personally was purposely cooking their food slow and I got frustrated with them for wanting a dinner caliber meal to pop out of the kitchen in under 5 minutes...I understand some people love us for lunch, but you can come see me at dinner. We will take our time and give you a great meal and experience.
no avatar
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:48 am

by Ron Johnson » Mon Apr 09, 2007 7:48 am

Primo is known for its top notch pizzas baked in the wood burning oven. The fact that the menu contains a large selections of pizzas for lunch sounds like a plus, not a negative, to me.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Apr 09, 2007 7:56 am

Ron Johnson wrote:Primo is known for its top notch pizzas baked in the wood burning oven. The fact that the menu contains a large selections of pizzas for lunch sounds like a plus, not a negative, to me.

As noted in the fun little video I posted on LouisvilleHotBytes while I was over in Verona, Primo is the ONE eatery in Louisville that makes a true, authentic, Italian style wood-oven pizza. Not that there's anything wrong with the others of various styles, from NYC to Chicago to Louisville, but for what it's worth, Primo's pizzas are the <i>real deal</i>. If you don't like them, you won't like pizza in Italy.
no avatar
User

Holly C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 1:53 am

by Holly C » Mon Apr 09, 2007 9:15 am

I never said the pizzas weren't good. (And I know you never said I did; just continuing the conversation.)

Just that it seems you have to be in the mood for them (or a small selection of pastas or salads) to eat at Primo at lunch, compared with, as other posters have pointed out, the more extensive dinner menu.

We weren't in a rush on Friday, but I could see how that could be a problem if one were on a business lunch, as Jeremy J pointed out.
no avatar
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Ron Johnson » Mon Apr 09, 2007 9:54 am

I guess I've not noticed this situation because I always get the pizza when I go for lunch. :D
no avatar
User

NicoleP

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 15, 2007 12:44 am

by NicoleP » Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:16 am

We have been to Primo several times (mostly on special occasions), but have never ordered the pizza...I REALLY miss Allo Spiedo and am looking forward to trying Primo's pizza if it is the same but in a different restaurant's clothing. Allo's pizza was exactly the same as pizza we had in Italy. Does Primo have Allo's spiedinis by any chance?? those are another favorite that I will never see in the ville again :cry:
no avatar
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Ron Johnson » Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:34 am

The pizza is the same as Allo if not better!
no avatar
User

Amy Hoover

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:27 pm

Butchertown

by Amy Hoover » Mon Apr 09, 2007 11:37 am

We have been to Primo several times (mostly on special occasions), but have never ordered the pizza...I REALLY miss Allo Spiedo and am looking forward to trying Primo's pizza if it is the same but in a different restaurant's clothing. Allo's pizza was exactly the same as pizza we had in Italy. Does Primo have Allo's spiedinis by any chance?? those are another favorite that I will never see in the ville again Crying or Very sad

They don't have the spiedini's on the menu, but occasionally do them as specials. They really were one of my favorite things at Allo Spiedo. Mmmm...I'd take a few for lunch today if I could!
no avatar
User

Ned Weatherby

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:29 pm

LaGrange

Lunch

by Ned Weatherby » Wed Apr 11, 2007 9:37 pm

I went a feww months back and it was good but I have to agree it was a pretty limited menu and I could see people having issues finding something. I still have not been for dinner but the wife wants to try it so I guess I will have to pencil it in :lol:
Good Eats
no avatar
User

Jeremy J

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Mar 20, 2007 11:30 am

Louisville, KY

by Jeremy J » Thu Apr 12, 2007 1:13 am

you wont be sorry.