Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

My take on the Gordita Trailer...

no avatar
User

Brian Taylor Clark

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:58 am

Louisville, Ky

My take on the Gordita Trailer...

by Brian Taylor Clark » Sat May 17, 2008 9:54 am

With the significant others out for the night, and some time to burn, my best friend and I decided to roll out to the trailer last night. No trouble finding it, it's in the Eastland parking lot right where you all said it would be. A little background on me, I lived in Mexico for about a year on and off and am fascinated by Latin American culture and cuisine. From Mexico to Bolivia I've eaten anywhere from 5 star restaurants sitting on ruins in Lima, to the chifas and taco stands in tiny neighborhoods in el campo. When I lived in Mexico I was fortunate enough to have a taco stand roll up around 7-8 right next to my house. I ate there 4-5 times a week and like a drug, I'm still chasing that first bite...
We got there about 9 last night. It was pretty busy, about 10 people standing around, all latinos. Being bilingual, it really helps me get the feel of the place. All of the people working there we're really nice and it's always funny to watch their heads spin when a 6'6" gringo steps up speaking castellano complete with Mexican slang. Their menu is pretty consistant with a typical taco cart, tacos, gorditas, tortas, tamales etc. I started with a few gorditas, al pastor, with grilled onions (cebolla) and cheese. I was dissapointed to see them using Mozzarella instead of manchego, an excellent latino cheese, but it didn't hinder the taste at all. Fresh pico de gallo with green peppers in it which was a first for me, and was excellent. THey have two salsas, a red and a green, both with unique flavors, my preference was the red. I found neither one very hot, but good nonetheless. Fresh limes to squeeze on top and I was in heaven. They also serve Mexican Coke in a glass bottle made with cane sugar which is always a hit. My friend had a taco con asada and really liked it. Next we decided to try the chorizo tacos and we were both in love. Literally some of the best chorizo I've had stateside. So good we kept ordering more and more of them until we were pleasantly full. They use traditional corn tortillas which have always been my preference. 3 gorditas, 6 tacos and two cokes came to 19 and we were pleased. We both drove away as satisfied as we could be. The car ride back was filled with many "Damn that was good" from both of us. Will we be back, uh maybe as soon as tonight! Thanks all for the tip off on this place, it's not to be missed.
Brian Taylor Clark
Real Estate Agent-Semonin Realtors-502-558-1441
Specializing in Investment Property/Client Sales in the Highlands, Germantown, Crescent Hill, and St. Matthews
no avatar
User

Melissa S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 3:03 pm

Re: My take on the Gordita Trailer...

by Melissa S » Sat May 17, 2008 10:42 am

Sounds great!
I'd like to take my family, but my sons are both vegetarian. Do they offer bean and cheese tacos?
If so, we'll be there tonight.
no avatar
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:48 am

by Ron Johnson » Sat May 17, 2008 8:04 pm

Nice post. Did you see manchego being used a lot for tacos, gorditas, huaraches, etc. in Mexico? I always thought that queso blanco, queso fresco/anejo, asadero, or chihuahua were used for that purpose. Or, does that differ by region?

Is the mexican version of Manchego much like the spanish original?
no avatar
User

Mark Head

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:44 pm

Prospect

by Mark Head » Sat May 17, 2008 10:27 pm

I couldn't take reading these posts about the "Gordita Trailer" anymore. Tonight my wife, son, and I made the trek over to Eastland Shopping Center for some Mexican street food. I won't repeat Brian's review because he's dead-on. Very nice and accurate report. We loved the chorizo tacos and asada gorditas. They have tongue and brains for the brave at heart....we'll consider that another time. Fresh, fresh taste. Sitting outside eating at the make-shift table was perfectly enjoyable....the generator is a bit loud but hey....you need that to power the kitchen. With this food available....why would anyone go near a nasty Taco Bell. This will be a regular stop for us!

BTW my son is a vegetarian and he loved the bean and cheese tacos with cooked onions, pico de gallo, and salsa.
no avatar
User

Sarita C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Apr 16, 2008 11:02 am

by Sarita C » Sun May 18, 2008 8:09 am

Glad you all liked it. Pat gave me a fistful of cards this weekend. You can give them a call to see if they are setting up at 502.492.0112
Sometimes they are not open until early evening so if you live far from it you might consider calling. Best, Sarita
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sun May 18, 2008 6:58 pm

We went out there tonight and had some great food - awesome carnitas taco and pastor gordita, and a pretty good lengua taco. They didn't have a tent tonight. Instead, they were using a trailer with a big service window!

I'd like to write this place up for LouisvilleHotBytes and LEO, but the women inside, even though their English was excellent, were really busy. Sarita, or anyone else looking on who goes there regularly, would you mind getting in touch with me by PM or Email to rgarr@louisvillehotbytes.com about helping me interview the operators?