Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

CJ grants Bootleg warm review, 2 1/2 stars

by Robin Garr » Sat May 17, 2008 8:05 am

The editors at Scene give Marty an unusually generous amount of space again this week, and he turns 770 words to a warm and generous review of Bootleg Bar-B-Q in another of those slightly puzzling situations where the words read a half-star or so better than the 2 1/2 star rating actually bestowed. I might have given a little more attention to the fact that Bootleg is one of the few places in the Louisville area (Ole Hickory Pit being another) where you can still opt for Western Kentucky-style mutton.

As rustic as they come
Bootleg Bar-B-Q pleases palate

Bootleg Bar-B-Q
9704 Bardstown Road, Fern Creek; (502) 239-2722; 7508 Preston Highway, Okolona, (502) 968-5657; Ky. 44E, Shepherdsville, (502) 921-2875.
http://www.bootlegbbq.net
no avatar
User

Doogy R

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:15 pm

The purlieus of Louisville, KY

Re: CJ grants Bootleg warm review, 2 1/2 stars

by Doogy R » Sat May 17, 2008 7:47 pm

I visited Bootleg just a few weeks ago and definitely thought they deserved better than 2 1/2 stars. Based on my review, I gave them 4 stars for the genre. I may have a bias as I am a long time fan, but the food is seriously good and you cannot beat the ambience of the original location.

This is what I wrote on April 20th. Please note they were out of mutton the day I visited. You may want to call ahead and check if they have mutton if that's what you desire.

I dropped in on the original Bootleg BBQ shack way out off Bardstown Rd. today. As usual, right after noon, there was a crowd and nowhere indoors to sit. No matter, the air about the place had the lingering aroma of smoked meat and the exhaust of all the bikers from 2 Lane Liquor, so we sat outside. This is a good thing, by the way. Anyone who can remember when Bardstown Road past Fern Creek was way out in the country will understand.

I ordered mutton and was told they had exhausted their supply. Alas, in midstream I had to change my mind. Fortunately I had a sidekick who had requested a baby back dinner and adamantly said choose something else. I chose the brisket sandwich platter, with cactus slaw and tater salad. We both did well in our decision making.

Her half baby back was comprised of 7 very meaty bones wrapped with tender smoked meat. The pork ribs were so free of fat that it amazed me. My partner also wanted the HUGE baked potato instead of 2 sides. It came steaming hot, so hot it melted her plastic fork. I am not lying. I wished I had my digital camera to take pix.

Anyhow, to digress a bit, the ribs were so succulent, so tender, so smoky, so, well, so, perfect. The monster spud, after being doused in butter, sour cream and smoked bacon bits (didn’t know they did that until today}, was proclaimed the best she’d ever eaten. OK, we know she loved her ribs and tater.

Now, let’s talk about my brisket sandwich. It was good, very good, but not Jucy’s good. I always compare any brisket I indulge in to Jucy’s. Don’t get me wrong, it was delicious. So very tender, smoky and juicy. But it ain’t Jucy’s, dadgummit.

The spicy and vinegary Cactus Slaw and the Down Home Tater Salad were their usual awesome selves.

So, all in all, we had a 4 star meal in a shack. Ya gotta love that about not only Bootleg but the Ville. 4 star dining in a shack. If you haven’t been there, it is seriously a shack.

20 dollars and 4 for the tip jar.

My review is nowhere nearly as eloquent as Marty's, but it does accurately describe my experience that day. Take it for what it's worth.
Great food along with great company is truly one of lifes best treasures.
no avatar
User

robert szappanos

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 4:17 pm

louisville, ky

by robert szappanos » Sun May 18, 2008 7:18 am

Not a big fan of Bootlegs....I think that there BBQ is overrated....mind you it is OK but nothing to make me go cack to...In Fern Creek area I would rate FireFresh much better and if you want a short drive...the best Jucys.... :D
no avatar
User

Doogy R

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:15 pm

The purlieus of Louisville, KY

by Doogy R » Mon May 19, 2008 6:38 pm

robert szappanos wrote:Not a big fan of Bootlegs....I think that there BBQ is overrated....mind you it is OK but nothing to make me go cack to...In Fern Creek area I would rate FireFresh much better and if you want a short drive...the best Jucys.... :D

Jucy's sure does rock ass. And it's a whole nearer to me than Bootleg. I am so blessed to have them both as my #1 and #1A BBQ places.
Great food along with great company is truly one of lifes best treasures.