Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Roger A. Baylor

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:01 pm

New Albany

This year's beer offerings at Louisville Slugger Field.

by Roger A. Baylor » Sun Apr 08, 2007 11:04 am

I haven't been yet -- too cold for a recently surgically repaired shoulder -- but I'd appreciate reports on this year's beer selection.

There's no reason to belive that the club's eternally Philistine management would veer from the iron dictum of allowing Anheuser-Busch to dictate consumer "choice" in return for its normal monopoly, but there's always hope.

A-B's house line of mockrobrews obviously don't count.

I spoke last night with Rick DeBar of BarrelHouse Brewing in Cincy, and his beer is in the Reds' home field again this year, apparently at a specialty-themed concessions area. Wow -- evidence of progrssive thinking ... and from a baseball team?

Each year, the Bats ignore a free-spending demographic in return for appeasing the 800-lb gorilla. Strange ... and sadly out of step.
Roger A. Baylor
Beer Director at Pints&union (New Albany)
Digital Editor at Food & Dining Magazine
New Albany, Indiana
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: This year's beer offerings at Louisville Slugger Field.

by Robin Garr » Sun Apr 08, 2007 12:06 pm

Roger A. Baylor wrote:I haven't been yet -- too cold for a recently surgically repaired shoulder -- but I'd appreciate reports on this year's beer selection.

We haven't been yet either, Roger. This ridiculous cold makes it just silly to sit out at the ball game. But as soon as it warms up a little, I intend to go do my annual food-and-beer report. For the reasons you state, I'm not hopeful, but I always go with an open mind ...
no avatar
User

Holly C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 1:53 am

by Holly C » Sun Apr 08, 2007 11:48 pm

I went to tonight's game... 10 hits by the Bats in the 3rd inning, including a grand slam home run! We left after the 7th inning stretch, although we should have left at the top of the 6th, once they pulled Homer Bailey, to save our fingertips.

I chose hot chocolate over beer to keep warm, but I did try to take note of the beer selection. Most vendors had Bud and Bud Light, and I thought I heard one vendor announcing he had Coors Light, but I might have been mistaken. There's a vendor right behind home plate on the 3rd base side that offers more beer selections, but none of them are particularly memorable -- I tried to take note, but the cold obviously had an effect on my brain! They had a chalkboard in front of the counter announcing their "around the world" selection -- I do remember that this included Corona (Mexico!) and Pilsner Urquell (Czech!), among other things. I did also notice a sign for Woodford Reserve, so I guess they serve that as well. There was a banner hanging above one of the food vendors behind right field that advertised Grolsch Fridays, whatever those are. And of course, the Thursday $1 Bud/Light special was advertised as well.

Sorry I couldn't remember more of the beer offerings at that one vendor, but to be honest, they really weren't memorable.

What WAS memorable, however, was the hot chocolate vendor. He roamed through the stands calling, "Warm up your chops with cocoa and schnapps!" and "Warm up quicker with cocoa and liquor!" Quite amusing. I don't know how much the peppermint schnapps shot cost, but a virgin hot chocolate was $2 -- it was a medium-sized cup (about 12 oz probably), and it was Swiss Miss (I could see the packets behind the counter), but I think they gave you two packets per serving (thankfully) and it actually didn't taste all that horrible, considering it was Swiss Miss, etc.

Can't wait to go when the weather is warmer!