Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Madison IN

no avatar
User

Tom Sizemore

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jan 15, 2008 11:20 pm

Madison IN

by Tom Sizemore » Thu May 15, 2008 10:24 pm

Heading to Madison, Indiana this weekend. They supposedly have a plethora of historic buildings & dining establishments along the riverfront. Looking forward to visiting Hinkle's Sandwich Shop, open since 1933 & famous for their burgers & shakes. Any other places I should try?
no avatar
User

kati.b

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 09, 2007 4:49 pm

Prospect, KY

Re: Madison IN

by kati.b » Fri May 16, 2008 8:15 am

I grew up in Madison. There really aren't any places right on the riverfront that I can think of besides a place called Key West Shrimp House. Then again, I've only been back for short visits since I moved to Louisville 10 years ago so there could be places that have opened up. Most of the restaurants downtown are on Main Street. Hinkles is great! There is the Broadway Hotel on Broadway and Main. I went to a place recently called The Downtowner that was very good. Bello's Pizza has been around for a long time too. I can't remember if they are any good or not. There are also a lot of bars...the fight your way in, shoot your way out type. If you like that sort of thing. :D

Really the thing to go to Madison for is the historic buildings. It seems that (with a few exceptions) alot of restaurants seem to open there and then not do well.
no avatar
User

Al Musinski

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:17 am

Louisville

by Al Musinski » Fri May 16, 2008 8:44 am

Be sure to grab a bottle of wine and go to the fire tower in the park.( might want to put the wine in a wine skin). Great view of the river. Broadway hotel has ok food but a cool old bar. Red pepper deli has great sandwiches.
I always think better with a full stomach.
User

Jim Greenbrier

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Mar 06, 2007 6:28 pm

Norton Commons (Prospect,Kentucky)

Re: Madison IN..a Sweet Experience !

by Jim Greenbrier » Fri May 16, 2008 8:52 am

A Grand Treat is Mundt s Candy!!...located in the middle of town....featured in National Geographic...a wonderful trip into yesterday!!

go and take your best girl !!........... http://www.mundtscandies.com/

JJG Jr
no avatar
User

Heather L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:12 am

by Heather L » Fri May 16, 2008 9:02 am

The Ohio River Valley Folk Festival is in Madison this weekend with some great music, storytelling, folk art, and great local breweries and wineries (including our own New Albanian if I am not mistaken!)

http://www.ohiorivervalleyfolkfestival.com/

It takes place Friday night and Saturday.
....And be faithful to
Local Merchants Too.
Never buy far off
What you can buy near home.....
(Wendell Berry)
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

by Andrew Mellman » Fri May 16, 2008 1:27 pm

kati.b wrote:I grew up in Madison. There really aren't any places right on the riverfront that I can think of besides a place called Key West Shrimp House. .

The Key West Shrimp House is wonderful IF you go in with the right frame of mind: you must imagine that the front door is a time machine, transfering you back to 1965. Then, order the multi-course feast, and enjoy the optimal seafood as served in that year!

(Seriously, it's not bad, but is definitely stuck in the past . . . and it's so crowded most times, that evidently that's what people want)

Also, the Thomas Winery building there has tastings (of decent wine), and more modern food and appetizers.
Andrew Mellman
no avatar
User

robert szappanos

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 4:17 pm

louisville, ky

by robert szappanos » Fri May 16, 2008 3:08 pm

If you go there on the weekend...expect a wait.....
User

David L.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri May 04, 2007 1:13 pm

Hanover, IN

by David L. » Fri May 16, 2008 3:22 pm

As someone who lives in Madison, it's been hard watching some of the better restaurants vanish in the last few years, like Ovo Cafe, McQuiston's Malthouse, even the Local Harvest Market, which had wonderful prepared foods.

If you'd rather eat in 2008 than 1965, go to the Red Pepper Deli and Cafe. The sandwiches are great, and now, they're doing dinner on Friday and Saturday nights, with a new menu each weekend. Usually, they're doing steak, salmon, that kind of thing. As their site says, "it's not just for lunch anymore." My wife's current favorite is the cajun shrimp and andouille sausage over pasta, which is heavenly. It's easily the best restaurant in town these days. Knowing the level of foodies on this forum, it's also the only place I'd recommend whole-heartedly.

There's also Bistro One, which has more of Greek and Mediterranean flavor, but their hours are pretty random. (In eight years, we've tried to go there several times. We've only successfully eaten there once.)

Hinkle's is fine if you're in the mood for the White Castle style of food, just not made by a chain restaurant.

If you want to dine with a good river view, bring a picnic or eat from the vendors at the Folk Festival. Or get takeout from Red Pepper.

David J. Loehr
Riverrun Theatre Company

The Rough Guide to the Underworld
June 26--July 11, 2009 in Washington D.C.
http://www.rg2underworld.com
A.D.
July 21--July 26, 2009 as part of the Capital Fringe Festival in D.C.
User

Roger A. Baylor

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:01 pm

New Albany

by Roger A. Baylor » Sat May 17, 2008 1:28 am

Just got back from the first night of the folk festival. Earlier in the day we ate at Broadway and it was fine; before returning, we did the late night thing at Hinkle's ... and it is what it is, and not bad at being what it is.

The folk fest is a good gig and I recommend it. We're serving beer along with our pals at Upland, and Thomas Family Winery has the wine. The fest is worth supporting both because of the music and the fact that vendors are all local -- no Budweiser. If you go, let the officials know you appreciate the local angle. Evidently this year a sponsor was unhappy because mass market beer wasn't being sold. Note that both NABC and Upland have a pilsner on tap this year.

I'm zapped -- back there at 11:00 a.m. Sat. If any forumites attend and come by the beer tent, let me know who you are.
Roger A. Baylor
Beer Director at Pints&union (New Albany)
Digital Editor at Food & Dining Magazine
New Albany, Indiana
User

Shawn Vest

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Jul 15, 2007 9:10 pm

850 main street, charlestown, indiana

by Shawn Vest » Sat May 17, 2008 8:25 pm

roger
you'll have to visit us, we're on the way

shawn
Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza. D Barry
www.ctownpizzaco.com
850 MAIN 812-256-2699
no avatar
User

robert szappanos

{ RANK }

Foodie

louisville, ky

by robert szappanos » Sun May 18, 2008 7:15 am

The Madison Hilltop has a place called mavericks. It is a steak place where the old Cabana Joes was....Very good steaks at a good price.... :D
no avatar
User

Aaron M. Renn

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat May 12, 2007 7:10 pm

by Aaron M. Renn » Mon May 19, 2008 8:30 am

Red Pepper's sandwiches are adequate, but not that distinctive.

I'm a bit surprised a place like Madison doesn't have better dining options, considering the major tourism industry it has.

I love Madison, btw. It's an astonishingly well preserved town. And the people are great too.
no avatar
User

robert szappanos

{ RANK }

Foodie

louisville, ky

by robert szappanos » Mon May 19, 2008 8:32 am

Yes it is...It has the old downtown and the new at the hilltop and they all seem to be doing and getting along...