Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Bourbon Barrel Foods

no avatar
User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:00 am

Shelby County

Bourbon Barrel Foods

by TP Lowe » Thu May 15, 2008 2:52 pm

no avatar
User

Ethan Ray

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:30 pm

Re: Bourbon Barrel Foods

by Ethan Ray » Fri May 16, 2008 12:32 am

I can't say enough good things about the products Bourbon Barrel Foods are putting out.

We use a number of their products (regularly) at the Oakroom, including:

-Bourbon Barrel Aged Worcestershire Sauce
-Bourbon Smoked Sea Salt
-Bourbon Smoked Peppercorns
-Bourbon Smoked Paprika
-Vanilla-Bourbon Sorghum
-Blueberry Sorghum

The smoked products are incredible: We use a lot of the smoked salt (as a finishing salt for meats), and their paprika is smokier than any other smoked paprika we've sourced from anywhere!
I was excited to taste the Vanilla-Bourbon Sorghum, but it pales in comparison to the Blueberry Sorghum (and i'm a vanilla fanatic, and don't usually like blueberry flavored food-stuffs).

If i recall correctly they're in the works of getting things together to brew their own soy sauce, instead of altering existing soy... we is pretty awesome if you ask me.

Worth looking into.
These products are pretty intensely flavored and a little goes a long way.
Ethan Ray

I put vegetables in your desserts, white chocolate with your fish and other nonsense stuff that you think shouldn't make sense, but coax the nonsense into something that makes complete sense in your mouth. Just open your mind, mouth and eat.
no avatar
User

Marsha L.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:56 pm

Louisville, KY

by Marsha L. » Fri May 16, 2008 6:00 am

We use their products at Lou Lou, as well. The smoked salt and smoked paprika especially (one of our new sandwiches has a smoked paprika aioli on it). They are expensive, but like Ethan said, one container of anything would last you forever at home.
Marsha Lynch
LEO columnist, free range cook/food writer/food stylist
no avatar
User

Brad W

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 30, 2008 2:38 pm

Liquor Barn Louisville

by Brad W » Fri May 16, 2008 10:53 am

I used the bourbon smoked paprika as part of a rub for some slow cooked ribs a couple of weekends ago. I must say, it pushed them over the top and they were maybe one of the best batches I've made. My wife asked me what I did different.....one thing...the rub...

Nice set of products.