Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Eliza W

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 21, 2007 4:24 pm

Indian Hills

Local products road trip ideas?

by Eliza W » Wed May 14, 2008 9:50 am

Any suggestions on great places to buy local produce or products? I'd like to map out a couple of day trips.

I'm thinking of berry picking plus local ham or bacon, maybe cheese...a good day of driving with lots of quality local stuff to show for it.
no avatar
User

DeeDee D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 8:48 pm

Sellersburg, IN

Re: Local products road trip ideas?

by DeeDee D » Wed May 14, 2008 10:59 am

Eliza, How about Capriole Goat Cheese Farm in Greenville, IN? We have always thought that would be an interesting place to go. Plus they produce the most amazing goat cheese!
Realtor, Semonin Realtors
Selling homes in beautiful Indiana
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed May 14, 2008 11:37 am

DeeDee D wrote:Eliza, How about Capriole Goat Cheese Farm in Greenville, IN? We have always thought that would be an interesting place to go. Plus they produce the most amazing goat cheese!

I don't believe Capriole allows tours, although I'm pretty sure they do have a small retail shop.
no avatar
User

Steve Shade

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:53 am

by Steve Shade » Wed May 14, 2008 12:15 pm

Eliza W wrote:Any suggestions on great places to buy local produce or products? I'd like to map out a couple of day trips.

I'm thinking of berry picking plus local ham or bacon, maybe cheese...a good day of driving with lots of quality local stuff to show for it.

Bray Orchards in Bedford Ky. On 42 in Trimble County, less than an hour from Louisville. Hwy 42 was the main Louisville/Cincinatti road before the expressway. Nice drive.

Gallrein Farms just outside of Shelbyville. Don't know about upick. You will also find their products at Bardstown Rd farmers market. gallreinfarms.com

Looked up Capriole farms website and they have a farm day this Sunday. capriolegoatcheese.com
"Don't accept your dog's admiration as
conclusive evidence that you are wonderful."
-- Ann Landers
no avatar
User

Sabrina C

{ RANK }

Just got here

Thu Jan 31, 2008 12:45 pm

by Sabrina C » Wed May 14, 2008 12:51 pm

My brother grows blueberries outside of Owensboro, KY. Only a 2 hour drive from Louisville & they offer u-pick in June & July.

http://blueberriesofdaviess.tripod.com/
no avatar
User

DeeDee D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sellersburg, IN

by DeeDee D » Wed May 14, 2008 1:48 pm

We went and toured Woodford Reserve Derby week and had a wonderful time! They are closed on Sunday and Monday I believe. It was worth the drive! Also checked out Equis winery too.
no avatar
User

robert szappanos

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 4:17 pm

louisville, ky

by robert szappanos » Wed May 14, 2008 2:00 pm

Speaking of Brays in Bedford...I have noticed that all of the land around the place has For Sale signs on it....wonder if they are getting out of the orchard bussiness???
no avatar
User

Shawn Vest

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Jul 15, 2007 9:10 pm

850 main street, charlestown, indiana

by Shawn Vest » Wed May 14, 2008 2:23 pm

capriole is fantastic, and i think if you call ahead you might be able to talk your way into a tour

they do have a great little retail shop

well worth the trip if you love cheese and goats

of course, all the berry farms in starlight (Huber and Stumler)

there are some Amish farms around Paoli also
Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza. D Barry
www.ctownpizzaco.com
850 MAIN 812-256-2699
no avatar
User

DeeDee D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sellersburg, IN

by DeeDee D » Wed May 14, 2008 2:42 pm

I checked out Capriole's website, that farm day sounds like fun! I think the kids would love the farm. Me, I'm just going for the free samples! :lol:
no avatar
User

HollyR

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Sep 12, 2007 12:28 pm

by HollyR » Wed May 14, 2008 3:18 pm

Looks like this Saturday would be a good time to visit Capriole. Received an email from LocalHarvest that May 18 is Spring Farm Day with open house.

Capriole's Spring Farm Day Date of Event:5/18/2008
Our Spring Open House and Farm Day is from 12-4 pm. The gardens are beautiful (and there are several) so wear your muck shoes for a walk through the gardens, woods, caves (boots)and the barn. You can also just sit a spell! Bring your own picnic or have a little lunch here-- grilled Italian sausage from Fiedler Farms, a hearty cornbread salad with grilled asparagus and Jackson Farms first cherry tomatoes, and Larry Schrum's famous madelines with fresh strawberries and Grand Marnier Creme Fraiche ($7). Of course, we'll have lots of cheese to sample. Everything is outside, so if the weather looks doubtful, check here on May 18th or call 1-800-923-9408 for info about cancellation.

We're also thrilled to have the beers of the New Albanian Brewing Co. on hand for tasting. This New Albany gem has earned its reputation as one of the regions most diverse beer selections, while at the same time crafting their own stellar creations.

See you at the farm!
(from http://www.capriolegoatcheese.com)
no avatar
User

Steve Shade

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:53 am

by Steve Shade » Wed May 14, 2008 3:27 pm

HollyR wrote:Looks like this Saturday would be a good time to visit Capriole. Received an email from LocalHarvest that May 18 is Spring Farm Day with open house.

Capriole's Spring Farm Day Date of Event:5/18/2008
Our Spring Open House and Farm Day is from 12-4 pm. The gardens are beautiful (and there are several) so wear your muck shoes for a walk through the gardens, woods, caves (boots)and the barn. You can also just sit a spell! Bring your own picnic or have a little lunch here-- grilled Italian sausage from Fiedler Farms, a hearty cornbread salad with grilled asparagus and Jackson Farms first cherry tomatoes, and Larry Schrum's famous madelines with fresh strawberries and Grand Marnier Creme Fraiche ($7). Of course, we'll have lots of cheese to sample. Everything is outside, so if the weather looks doubtful, check here on May 18th or call 1-800-923-9408 for info about cancellation.

We're also thrilled to have the beers of the New Albanian Brewing Co. on hand for tasting. This New Albany gem has earned its reputation as one of the regions most diverse beer selections, while at the same time crafting their own stellar creations.

See you at the farm!
(from http://www.capriolegoatcheese.com)

Please note .... 5/18 is not Saturday, but Sunday
"Don't accept your dog's admiration as
conclusive evidence that you are wonderful."
-- Ann Landers
no avatar
User

HollyR

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Sep 12, 2007 12:28 pm

by HollyR » Wed May 14, 2008 3:37 pm

Oops. Allergies are making me stupid today. Thanks, Steve.
no avatar
User

Jeremy Markle

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jul 09, 2007 2:58 pm

In my car

by Jeremy Markle » Wed May 14, 2008 11:13 pm

Downtown Frankfort is beautiful this time of year. You can tour Buffalo Trace, and this weekend is the Historic Home & Garden tour at Liberty Hall historic site (site of the largest raised box garden in Kentucky).

Saturday, May 17 and Sunday, May 18, 2008
Living in History Home and Garden Tour
"The Garden Club of Frankfort is partnering with the Colonial Dames to offer a Living in History Home and Garden Tour of historic homes and gardens in Frankfort and Franklin County and a May Market on the grounds of historic Liberty Hall. We would like to invite everyone to come and join us on May 17th from 10am – 5pm for an English May Market Fair (garden, home and food vendors), speakers, home and garden tours.
On Sunday, May 18, the home and garden tours and speakers continue from 1pm – 5pm. We are offering a Frank Lloyd Wright home, the old Frankfort Poor Farm (now a lovely residence), the restored cemetery chapel and garden, Bibb-Burnley (home of Bibb lettuce) and much more. Come join us for a festive and fun day in May."

Also, if you find yourself in Lexington, be sure to stop by for a tour of our brewery. We have a regularly scheduled tour at 3PM weekdays and 1PM on Saturdays. Call ahead any other time.
http://www.kentuckyale.com/kentuckyale/brewerymap.htm
Check out the new http://www.kentuckyale.com
no avatar
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:48 am

by Ron Johnson » Thu May 15, 2008 7:36 am

Head down to western Kentucky around Cadiz and Princeton, and you can find lots of country ham producers. I think Father's Bacon is around there too.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu May 15, 2008 7:55 am

Ron Johnson wrote:Head down to western Kentucky around Cadiz and Princeton, and you can find lots of country ham producers. I think Father's Bacon is around there too.

Good advice, but note also that you can find an excellent country ham producer, Finchville Farms, much closer to Louisville.
Next