Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Jarfi's is not a Louisville Orginal

no avatar
User

Sherrie G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed May 02, 2007 4:13 pm

Jarfi's is not a Louisville Orginal

by Sherrie G » Mon May 12, 2008 12:55 pm

Our visit Saturday night was not as positive as Marty's review in the CJ. As soon as our waitress arrived at our table, I promptly showed her our Louisville Original’s Gift Certificate for $25 off at Jarfi’s. She looked at it, said ok, and handed it back to me. We had drinks, an appetizer, shared a salad and each ordered an entrée. We were unimpressed with the chewy and bland calamari and everything else was just ok.

Unfortunate, too, was the timing of our food. The waitress claimed the food was being cooked almost faster than she could deliver it. And we certainly felt rushed. It took a few minutes after having received our entrees to get the attention of our server so that I could request a knife for my steak. But the restaurant was very busy and our server seemed to be trying her best.

At the end of the meal, our server took my credit card and the gift certificate. She came by after a few minutes to inform us that she was trying to find “Jeff” so he could deduct the gift certificate. When she returned, she told us that Jeff said the certificate was no longer valid and could not accept it as they were no longer part of the Louisville Originals (LO).

As we were leaving, we passed Mr. Jarfi who asked my husband if we enjoyed ourselves. “No” was his instant response. He explained the problem with the gift certificate (GC) and explained that we would not be returning to Jarfi’s (not just because of the GC, but also because we unimpressed with our meals). Mr. Jarfi stood his ground and explained that as they are no longer part of L.O., we shouldn’t have been sold the GC; did we know what they get for being a part of LO?; that it was only good at the old location; that he couldn’t give us our money back. My husband went on to explain that we bought the GC before their move and that we showed our waitress the GC prior to ordering. He said he was not aware of that and offered a $25 GC as compensation.

I have no doubt that Mr. Jarfi is a kind person. We saw him throughout the evening, stopping by many tables around us to talk to people who were either his friends or, perhaps, just regulars. In hindsight, we would have been better off asking for him to stop by our table when the server said our GC was no good. Unfortunately, our underwhelming meal at this location (as well as an underwhelming meal back in December at their old location), as well as the way the discussion with Mr. Jarfi went, we saw no need to get a new GC to a restaurant that we don’t care to frequent again.
no avatar
User

Beth K.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed May 23, 2007 2:18 pm

Re: Jarfi's is not a Louisville Orginal

by Beth K. » Mon May 12, 2008 1:23 pm

That's kind of scary; I just bought 4 Louisville Original gift certificates last week. I would also be upset if they were not honored, especially since one was a gift! (How embarrassing would that be?!)

Sorry you had such an awful experience.
no avatar
User

Dan L.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 09, 2007 10:52 pm

Re: Jarfi's is not a Louisville Orginal

by Dan L. » Mon May 12, 2008 5:51 pm

I wish I could say that this is the first time that Jeff has took this stand. I was always a fan of Jarfi's in the Kentucky Center. Jarfi's was in our regular rotation as we both work downtown. When we found Jarfi's included in the Restaurant.com program we purchased two gift certificates, one for us, one for a gift. When we went to use our certificate Jeff told us that he no longer participated in their program. He ended up honoring the certificate but begrudgingly. I had to pursue restaurant.com to exchange the other certificate. We would still eat at Jarfi's just not as regularly as we had previously. I guess I just wonder why he keeps participating in these types of promotions if he doesn't like them.
no avatar
User

Sherrie G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed May 02, 2007 4:13 pm

Originals does good

by Sherrie G » Mon May 12, 2008 6:08 pm

Louisville Originals gave me credit on my credit card this afternoon for the purchase of the gift certificate. So, all was not lost. Now, if I could just get a credit for all those calories I ate too, I'd be really happy.