Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

CJ's 3 1/2 star Jarfi's review reads like 4

by Robin Garr » Sat May 10, 2008 8:50 am

Marty was fairly quick to get over to the new Jarfi's Bistro in the former Lentini's, which opened about this time last month. I've been holding back to give them a little time to get their feet on the ground, but it seems such prudence was unnecessary: Marty gives them an absolutely glowing review that leaves me wondering why he didn't give them four stars rather than 3 1/2. It's also a remarkable 841 words, extending to a second page in Scene, possibly the longest review in the paper in recent years.

New Jarfi's Bistro transforms Lentini's

Jarfi's Bistro
1543 Bardstown Road.
(502) 589-5060.
http://www.jarfis.com
no avatar
User

Steve Shade

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:53 am

Re: CJ's 3 1/2 star Jarfi's review reads like 4

by Steve Shade » Sat May 10, 2008 3:40 pm

I would like to know what kept the place from four stars. Not a negative word about service or food in the review.

Really happy to see the place get such a positive review, as I have been going to that location for food, even before it was Lentinis. Holds good memories. Jeez, I am getting old.
"Don't accept your dog's admiration as
conclusive evidence that you are wonderful."
-- Ann Landers
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat May 10, 2008 4:31 pm

Steve Shade wrote:even before it was Lentinis.

Highland Italian? Or was that another Bardstown location? I loved that place ... shallow-dish Sicilian pizza in the old country style.
no avatar
User

Steve Shade

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:53 am

by Steve Shade » Sat May 10, 2008 10:51 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
Steve Shade wrote:even before it was Lentinis.

Highland Italian? Or was that another Bardstown location? I loved that place ... shallow-dish Sicilian pizza in the old country style.

Same location. Highland was in the name. The location of Club Grotto also was called the Highland Inn or something similar at one time.

The Lentinis place was run by a WWII vet who had been stationed in Italy during and after the war. He claimed to be the first place to serve pizza in Louisville. I remember he said he couldn't get anybody to buy it until he started giving away a slice with other food. He was a great guy and a few of us hung around there a lot, especially late. The place was there quite a few years in the fifties until about 1961.

Churchill Downs and Brown Forman got the best of him and left the place open for Sonny Lentini.
"Don't accept your dog's admiration as
conclusive evidence that you are wonderful."
-- Ann Landers