Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Abbaye de Abbey of Leffe

no avatar
User

Jackie R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Mar 06, 2007 3:48 pm

Highlands

Abbaye de Abbey of Leffe

by Jackie R. » Thu May 08, 2008 7:59 pm

Okay, beer affishies... I'm trying this beer for the first time tonight. Good, good, good. Purchased at The Wine Market on Frankfort Ave. What say you? The excellence tickles me...
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Abbaye de Abbey of Leffe

by Robin Garr » Thu May 08, 2008 8:19 pm

Jackie R. wrote:Okay, beer affishies... I'm trying this beer for the first time tonight. Good, good, good. Purchased at The Wine Market on Frankfort Ave. What say you? The excellence tickles me...

Leffe is indeed an excellent Belgian Abbey ale, Jackie. I have a few in my fridge right now.

Hmmm ... maybe I'm about to have one less ...
no avatar
User

Jackie R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands

by Jackie R. » Thu May 08, 2008 8:24 pm

Oh Robin, let us toast one to the spring! My favorite toast is, "cheers big ears!"; then, "same goes, big nose!"; and my best friend came up with (she doesn't believe it's very good, but I really love it), "right back at ya, and down the hatchya!" Thanks for your interest, my friend.
no avatar
User

Kurt R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 9:08 am

Louisville, KY

by Kurt R. » Thu May 08, 2008 9:22 pm

Jackie,
You are in rare, interesting form tonight!
Kurt

Character is measured by a series of split second decisions.
no avatar
User

Jackie R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands

by Jackie R. » Thu May 08, 2008 9:49 pm

Ha ha ha!!! I love you Kurt! And it's not just the Abbey sayin' so. Although she does speak volumes at the moment...
no avatar
User

Roger A. Baylor

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:01 pm

New Albany

by Roger A. Baylor » Fri May 09, 2008 9:20 am

Leffe is a competent beginning portal for abbey-style ales, but I tend not to drink it because it's an In-Bev import and thus handled by Anhesuer-Busch. Leffe itself is an abbey that licensed the use of its name after WWII, and was eventually bought by the company that has become In-Bev. It is brewed in the same facory as Stella.

Start with Leffe ... and then ascend to the more artisanal brewers.
Roger A. Baylor
Beer Director at Pints&union (New Albany)
Digital Editor at Food & Dining Magazine
New Albany, Indiana
no avatar
User

Brad W

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 30, 2008 2:38 pm

Liquor Barn Louisville

by Brad W » Fri May 09, 2008 10:54 am

Roger A. Baylor wrote:Leffe is a competent beginning portal for abbey-style ales, but I tend not to drink it because it's an In-Bev import and thus handled by Anhesuer-Busch. Leffe itself is an abbey that licensed the use of its name after WWII, and was eventually bought by the company that has become In-Bev. It is brewed in the same facory as Stella.

All good points.
no avatar
User

Derrick Dones

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Aug 13, 2007 11:02 am

by Derrick Dones » Fri May 09, 2008 12:57 pm

While I am by no means a beer connoisseur like some on this board, I do really enjoy me some Belgian beers and abbey ales. I do not recall ever having a Leffe, but I will have to give it a try. I quite enjoy Chimay (white / triple is my fave), Ommegang, and some others that don't immediately come to mind. Roger, would you or any other beer expert suggest a few of the "more artisinal brewers" that I should give a try? Thanks! DD
no avatar
User

Shawn Vest

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Jul 15, 2007 9:10 pm

850 main street, charlestown, indiana

by Shawn Vest » Fri May 09, 2008 1:36 pm

i'll second Roger on the Leffe notes

for more artisan examples

St Bernardus, Rochefort, & Westmalle are all good choices
Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza. D Barry
www.ctownpizzaco.com
850 MAIN 812-256-2699
no avatar
User

Jackie R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands

by Jackie R. » Fri May 09, 2008 4:53 pm

Roger A. Baylor wrote:Leffe is a competent beginning portal for abbey-style ales, but I tend not to drink it because it's an In-Bev import and thus handled by Anhesuer-Busch. Leffe itself is an abbey that licensed the use of its name after WWII, and was eventually bought by the company that has become In-Bev. It is brewed in the same facory as Stella.

Well that's a little disappointing and I thank you for your wisdom, Roger. I really haven't had a Belgian that I didn't like, but the distinction of this for me was the strength. I could be wrong, but it seemed a little lighter.

I'm not familiar with In-Bev but I'm gonna research it. I'm trying to be more responsible but I cannot do that if I am uninformed.

Don't care for Stella one bit.

Thank you, Shawn, for your suggestions.
no avatar
User

Roger A. Baylor

{ RANK }

Foodie

New Albany

by Roger A. Baylor » Fri May 09, 2008 7:46 pm

There's nothing bad about Leffe other than its parent; it's just that I feel other examples are better (and Shawn's on the money).

I'm busy right now, but will try to report back with concrete examples this weekend.
Roger A. Baylor
New Albany, Indiana
no avatar
User

Jackie R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands

by Jackie R. » Fri May 09, 2008 8:29 pm

So... a company like In-Bev will produce all of their brands one factory? I looked at their web-site and they have quite a few. I appreciate any input and realize that I could research this on my own, but I love the way Hotbytes educates us. Teach me...
no avatar
User

Roger A. Baylor

{ RANK }

Foodie

New Albany

by Roger A. Baylor » Sat May 10, 2008 8:07 am

Not at one factory, but the drill goes something like this: Assemble a portfolio by buying breweries, then shift production to certain centralized beer factories, close the acquired breweries, and purge the acquisition of unwanted "minor" brands," which often are the most interesting ones. Then, market the brands as though they're small independents, whe in fact they're chits at a conglomerate.

Is it any wonder I'm bitter ... I'm not talking hop bitter, either. Of course, I'm sure there are some here prepared to defend such practices (cue ... )
Roger A. Baylor
New Albany, Indiana
no avatar
User

Jackie R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands

by Jackie R. » Sat May 10, 2008 8:36 am

(...cue) Thank you for the wisdom.
no avatar
User

Roger A. Baylor

{ RANK }

Foodie

New Albany

by Roger A. Baylor » Sat May 10, 2008 8:46 am

My pleasure. In the end, all of us are perfectly free to to drink whatever we think tastes good -- or not at all. But ... and this is a big one ... as with Wal-Mart, it's important to understand the high cost of low price. :D
Roger A. Baylor
New Albany, Indiana
Next