Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Now open for Brunch

no avatar
User

Michele Melillo-Clem

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:26 am

East Market Street

Now open for Brunch

by Michele Melillo-Clem » Sat Apr 07, 2007 5:59 am

Just a reminder that Melillo's is now open for brunch on Saturdays from 9am until 2pm. Hope to see you soon. Happy Easter, Passover weekend to all.[/quote]
It's the hand of the cook that expresses the heart.

Michele Melillo-Clem
no avatar
User

Holly C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 1:53 am

by Holly C » Sat Apr 07, 2007 12:32 pm

Wonderful! Is it the same menu as usual or a special brunch menu?
User

jpdurbin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 4:23 pm

Louisville, KY

Different menu and YUM....

by jpdurbin » Sat Apr 07, 2007 1:20 pm

Different menu and YUM.... I had brunch with a foodie or two this morning. We tried various items on the brunch menu and completely enjoyed all of them.

PS, try the Italian Doughnuts w/honeybutter.
Johnathan P. Durbin
http://jpdurbin.net/
A Member of http://www.ThePCGurus.com
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Different menu and YUM....

by Robin Garr » Sat Apr 07, 2007 1:32 pm

jpdurbin wrote:Different menu and YUM.... I had brunch with a foodie or two this morning. We tried various items on the brunch menu and completely enjoyed all of them.

PS, try the Italian Doughnuts w/honeybutter.

Nice to see you down there, JP! Mary and I agree ... we ate and ate until we were stuffed and still took about half of lunch home. Frittata, egg-and-ham sandwich, home-fries and those amazing "doughnuts" ("Zeppole," in Italian) ... delicious coffee. Great brunch!
User

Marsha L.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:56 pm

Louisville, KY

by Marsha L. » Sun Apr 15, 2007 10:12 am

We set out for brunch at Toast about 11:30 yesterday morning. The place was packed when we got in, and there was a 30-35 minute wait, so we decided to seek more instant gratification elsewhere. (Don't worry, Toast - we'll be back soon!) BTW, the hostess helpfully informed us that on the weekend, they are usually on a wait from about 9:30 AM until 1:30 PM.

An aside here: on our way back to the car, we wandered into this little store just west of Toast on the same side of Market St. It's a lamp/curio store called "Ray of Light", and I'm ashamed to say I never noticed it there before, although the guy told us he's been there almost 3 years! We were drawn to the place because it has a window full of blown-glass spring blossoms right now. Very colorful. Great store, definitely recommended if you're shopping for a unique lamp or gift.

And then I remembered Melillo's new Saturday brunch! Literally, like - two blocks away. Hooray!

Table for two, no waiting at all. The brunch menu makes everything sound so good, it's challenging to make your decision. So, naturally, I had to throw a wrench in the works and ask for their rice ball appetizer, which isn't on the brunch menu. I remember reading about it here on the forum and I've wanted to try them ever since. Our server just checked with the kitchen and they were happy to oblige. Giant balls of rice and cheese, stuffed with marinara and vegetables (and more cheese) and then deep-fried? It almost goes without saying, but I'll say it - delicious.

Besides the risotto balls, we ordered Eggs Benedict and french toast, fried potatoes (yummy, well-seasoned potatoes. So many places under-season potatoes...). Michelle, that Eggs Benedict oughta be against the law! I counted five poached eggs on my plate (afloat on a pool of buttery hollandaise, on top of crispy pancetta which was itself on top of some crazy-good english muffin thing...). That's right, I said it - FIVE! LOL - I was guiltily looking over my shoulder to make sure my doctor wasn't in the room. Of course, we had to take half of it home. I've heard about Melillo's generous portions before, but wow. I was sad I didn't have room for zeppoles. Too bad. I guess that means I'll have to go back. :wink:

If you haven't been to Melillo's, stop putting it off. The atmosphere is so warm and charming, it's like eating a meal with your family all around you. And I dare anyone to walk away from there hungry. We were laughing because we stepped in to the adjacent Bodega and made a sort of languid pass through the store without being able to muster the enthusiasm to buy any food. We wondered if they get a constant stream of well-sated "tourists" rolling out of Melillo's, stomachs full, just checking them out without buying anything. It's a nice store, though. They have a lot of merchandise packed into a small-ish space without any feeling of clutter. Huge beer selection.

We can't wait to go back to Melillo's for dinner. Or brunch again. 8)
no avatar
User

Linda C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:38 pm

by Linda C » Sun Apr 15, 2007 11:09 am

Where were you? You must have been behind us, lol, cause we had the whole crew to ourselves yesterday..First, do not let Michelle start you off with a Mimosa. It made for a very interesting and unproductive day. My husband also had the eggs benedict, I had the eggplant sandwich...yum. Great brunch menu! btw- I sent a visitor to Mellilo's last week (a person who asked on the Fodor travel forum) People were telling them to go to Jack Fry's, but they had an 18 month old. They went to Lynn's and Melillo's, thankfully, and they had nothing but praise for the latter (great food, service, friendly, etc) Nice to see that posted!