Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Reply to TP's Thai Feast post

User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Reply to TP's Thai Feast post

by Robin Garr » Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:41 am

Great report, TP! I'm excruciatingly envious.

But tell us one thing, if you can ... in candor and fairness, how would you compare Thai food in Thailand to Thai food in the Derby City? Do any of our Thai eateries come reasonably close in style, or is it a whole 'nuther universe?
Last edited by Robin Garr on Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:00 am

Shelby County

Re: So tell us this ...

by TP Lowe » Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:04 pm

Robin Garr wrote:Great report, TP! I'm excruciatingly envious.

But tell us one thing, if you can ... in candor and fairness, how would you compare Thai food in Thailand to Thai food in the Derby City? Do any of our Thai eateries come reasonably close in style, or is it a whole 'nuther universe?

You know, Robin, it's hard to say. This place was so "off the charts" I find it hard to compare it to Louisville spots. It would be like comparing the Seelbach to the Bristol and trying to sense of it. I hope tomorrow to find one or two more casual spots and give them a go, which I think might be a more fair comparison to Louisville's Thai. I did do the street thing yesterday (walked to Chinatown from the Captain Bush Road area -and, yes, that's the street name!) and that is just not comparable to anything I've seen before, except for a few weeks ago in Beijing.

By the way, it was mid-90s and high humidity here today and, wow, did it feel good!
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:13 pm

TP Lowe wrote:This place was so "off the charts" I find it hard to compare it to Louisville spots. It would be like comparing the Seelbach to the Bristol and trying to sense of it.

Thanks, TP! Funny, I thought I was replying to your original post, but obviously I clicked the wrong button. Guess I need to learn to use this software, too! :oops:

No obvious way to "glue" it back to your original either ... oh, well
User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Shelby County

by TP Lowe » Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:14 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
TP Lowe wrote:This place was so "off the charts" I find it hard to compare it to Louisville spots. It would be like comparing the Seelbach to the Bristol and trying to sense of it.

Thanks, TP! Funny, I thought I was replying to your original post, but obviously I clicked the wrong button. Guess I need to learn to use this software, too! :oops:

No obvious way to "glue" it back to your original either ... oh, well

I sort of thought so ... we'll learn! And, I should have said "Oak Room," not the generic "Seelbach," of course!
User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Shelby County

by TP Lowe » Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:44 am

I'm not sure I will have a definitive answer to your question, Robin, but I think the thing that strikes me here is in general the simplicity of ingredients. It may be because this seems to be a very poor country overall, and the average food on the street is very basic, but has the flavors you'd want. The "feast" just can't be compared, because it was full of complexity that the balance of the food I've had did not share. After back to back Asia trips, I think my new mantra is simplicity but boldness - when I open my first restaurant, that will be my story!
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:57 am

TP Lowe wrote:I'm not sure I will have a definitive answer to your question, Robin, but I think the thing that strikes me here is in general the simplicity of ingredients. It may be because this seems to be a very poor country overall, and the average food on the street is very basic, but has the flavors you'd want. The "feast" just can't be compared, because it was full of complexity that the balance of the food I've had did not share.

Thanks for the follow-up, TP!

After back to back Asia trips, I think my new mantra is simplicity but boldness - when I open my first restaurant, that will be my story!

I'd eat there! :) Have a good trip home!
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

Chicago comparison?

by Andrew Mellman » Tue Mar 06, 2007 12:33 am

Just wondering if you've ever been to Arun's in Chicago?

It's a Thai . . . $85/person fixed price . . . when you arrive, servers sit down and discuss your likes/dislikes, food allergies, and heat preferences, then come out with a special designed multi-course feast (they say 12 courses average, but since each is one or two dishes for sharing I'd say closer to 7 or 8 courses by my count). It's supposed to be very authentic, but since I never ate in Thailand I don't know.
Andrew Mellman
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:48 am

Re: Chicago comparison?

by Ron Johnson » Tue Mar 06, 2007 10:02 am

andrew mellman wrote:Just wondering if you've ever been to Arun's in Chicago?

It's a Thai . . . $85/person fixed price . . . when you arrive, servers sit down and discuss your likes/dislikes, food allergies, and heat preferences, then come out with a special designed multi-course feast (they say 12 courses average, but since each is one or two dishes for sharing I'd say closer to 7 or 8 courses by my count). It's supposed to be very authentic, but since I never ate in Thailand I don't know.

Ok, time to go to Chicago. That sounds awesome.
User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Shelby County

Re: Chicago comparison?

by TP Lowe » Tue Mar 06, 2007 11:58 am

andrew mellman wrote:Just wondering if you've ever been to Arun's in Chicago?

Wow, agree with Ron. That sounds wonderful. Road trip?!
User

Ryan B

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Mar 05, 2007 1:22 pm

Arun's

by Ryan B » Wed Mar 07, 2007 11:44 am

I know that in the past year or 2 Arun's has lost a star in Chicago Magazine. I had the opportunity to eat there a couple of years back after my brother described it as one of the best meals he ever had. While I thought it was good, it seemed expensive for what you got and not particularly amazing. Funny thing was the lower ranking came out about a month after we ate there. Maybe they've stepped their game back up since then.
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

Re: Arun's

by Andrew Mellman » Wed Mar 07, 2007 6:07 pm

Ryan B wrote:I know that in the past year or 2 Arun's has lost a star in Chicago Magazine. I had the opportunity to eat there a couple of years back after my brother described it as one of the best meals he ever had. While I thought it was good, it seemed expensive for what you got and not particularly amazing. Funny thing was the lower ranking came out about a month after we ate there. Maybe they've stepped their game back up since then.

The Trib and Sun Times both repolrted that Arun's hasn't lost a step . . . the problem is that everyone else is catching up, and they are staying still. Around five years ago they were always ranked one of the top five restaurants in the city. Over the past 5 years, first one and then another reviewer has lowered that ranking, with comments that others are adding to their menu/service while Aruns is doing the "same thing". That doesn't make it bad, but maybe not a first stop?

One example: when you eat at Tru, you get a personalized print-out of your special tasting menu; when you eat at Arun's, you don't (comment from Sun Times).
Andrew Mellman
User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Shelby County

Re: Arun's

by TP Lowe » Sat Mar 10, 2007 7:01 pm

andrew mellman wrote:
Ryan B wrote:I know that in the past year or 2 Arun's has lost a star in Chicago Magazine. I had the opportunity to eat there a couple of years back after my brother described it as one of the best meals he ever had. While I thought it was good, it seemed expensive for what you got and not particularly amazing. Funny thing was the lower ranking came out about a month after we ate there. Maybe they've stepped their game back up since then.

The Trib and Sun Times both repolrted that Arun's hasn't lost a step . . . the problem is that everyone else is catching up, and they are staying still. Around five years ago they were always ranked one of the top five restaurants in the city. Over the past 5 years, first one and then another reviewer has lowered that ranking, with comments that others are adding to their menu/service while Aruns is doing the "same thing". That doesn't make it bad, but maybe not a first stop?

One example: when you eat at Tru, you get a personalized print-out of your special tasting menu; when you eat at Arun's, you don't (comment from Sun Times).

I have a framed menu from Tru in my kitchen. Our old friend Adam Seger, when he was GM there, treated us to a four hour tasting evening as a birthday gift for my wife (it was a very, very BIG birthday). What a wonderful evening.