Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

NYTimes Reviews Chains

no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

NYTimes Reviews Chains

by Andrew Mellman » Sat May 03, 2008 2:45 am

The NYTimes reviews suburban mall chains . . . and likes them a lot more than expected! (Cheesecake Factory appears to be their favorite)

(edited to include the opening paragraphs with a link to the full story - RG)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
May 4, 2008
Déjà Vu Dining
“HELLO, your name is familiar — and so is your food.”

Thousands of people could use that greeting each week as they enter their favorite chain restaurants to claim their tables — or more likely to wait, if it’s a weekend evening. They scoop up their personal pagers and head outside or off to the bar until it’s time to sit down, learn the names of their servers, and eat food that is often better than might be expected.

“Surprisingly decent” was the consensus among nine reviewers who visited chain restaurants in the suburbs around New York City. They peeled back Bloomin’ Onions, meditated on Zen chicken pot stickers and attempted to ignore the calorie count of an “appetizer” that included Buffalo wings, fried mozzarella and stuffed potato skins.

But it wasn’t all living off the fat of the franchise, as chains have also learned to accommodate those who are watching their weight, and even vegetarians. And the youngsters who accompanied the reviewers enjoyed touches like complimentary crayons and children’s menus designed as coloring books.

At most of these places, there is indeed something for everyone — frequently with a side of good value.

Here are the reviewers’ reports.

For the full story in the April 29, 2008, New York Times click this link:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05/04/nyreg ... intro.html
Last edited by Robin Garr on Sat May 03, 2008 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Replace full text with the opening lines plus a link
Andrew Mellman
no avatar
User

robert szappanos

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 4:17 pm

louisville, ky

Re: NYTimes Reviews Chains

by robert szappanos » Sat May 03, 2008 7:27 am

I think that a lot of people like them but are afraid to say so....
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat May 03, 2008 7:38 am

andrew mellman wrote:Sorry for length, but it was a long article!

Andrew, here's a link to the full article:
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05/04/nyreg ... intro.html

Would you object if, for copyright reasons, I edit your original post to show the first few paragraphs with a link to the rest? The issue isn't so much the length of the post as the copyright issues involved.
User

carla griffin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:32 pm

by carla griffin » Sat May 03, 2008 8:08 am

I've read just what's posted here covering 10 different restaurants. It's more like a love song to chains instead of a series of reviews. I'm glad they had such positive experiences but frankly - and this isn't an anti chain bias speaking- my experiences at many of the same restaurants found here in Louisville were less than stellar and closer to the mediocrity end of the spectrum. Every time I happen into an Applebees I find myself saying, "That's it! Never again. That's the last time I eat here." It's either mmeph food or having to suffer with a sever that's too bored to be working there. I have no idea what the problem is but it's reoccurring. I've had some decent meals at Friday's and 1 or 2 at Changs but I can't say I've ever had anything memorable at any of the others listed.
Maybe I'm just being an old poop on this rainy Saturday morning.
Carla
There is one thing more exasperating than a wife who can cook and won't, and that's a wife who can't cook and will. ~Robert Frost
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Sat May 03, 2008 8:20 am

This article highlights one of my biggest complaints about several of the restaurant's, the wait required! I refuse to wait the length of time required at many of these restaurants to end up with mediocre food. If the wait wasn't so long I'd eat there more often just for the convenience factor but the wait is over an hour there is no convenience factor. Another gripe I have with the Cheesecake Factory is the advertising in the menu, for the prices they charge they certainly don't need another source of income.

I guess we're fortunate in Louisville to have so many local restaurants that chains are not the only option like they are in so many places.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

robert szappanos

{ RANK }

Foodie

louisville, ky

by robert szappanos » Sat May 03, 2008 8:43 am

The reason that you have to wait so long is that they are usually packed every night.....A problem that a lot of places wish they had..... :D
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

by Andrew Mellman » Sat May 03, 2008 12:37 pm

1. I have no problem in Robin editing my post with a link . . . I did credit the NYTimes with date et al, so doubt that there would be copywrite problems, but if you feel safer, go for it!

2. There were NOT uniformly praising the chains - DEFINITELY not a "love song". Rather, I read their point as being that many (not all) chains provide decent food, although one may have to search out good items from the menu. The secondary point was that many people - especially younger children - like knowing in advance exactly what they will be eating and what the food will taste like. I think it was a fair article, that chains can have their place, and if one searches one can find a good meal much of the time.
Andrew Mellman
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat May 03, 2008 3:31 pm

andrew mellman wrote:1. I have no problem in Robin editing my post with a link . . . I did credit the NYTimes with date et al, so doubt that there would be copywrite problems, but if you feel safer, go for it!

Andrew, I don't think there's much chance that the NYT would come after us, but I'm more comfortable - as a writer myself - with bending backward in favor of respecting intellectual property rights. I didn't mean to imply that you did anything wrong, either. :)

With your permission, though, I'll speed up the read and keep the lawyers happy by editing your post down a bit. Thanks!
User

David Clancy

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:09 pm

A couch in Andy's house.

by David Clancy » Sun May 04, 2008 12:04 am

robert szappanos wrote:The reason that you have to wait so long is that they are usually packed every night.....A problem that a lot of places wish they had..... :D
I'm not touching that statement with a ten foot pole, er, um, prod........(harmlessly passing your time in the grassland away.....). LOL
David Clancy
Fabulous Old Louisville
(Is this your homework Larry?)
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Sun May 04, 2008 7:43 am

robert szappanos wrote:The reason that you have to wait so long is that they are usually packed every night.....A problem that a lot of places wish they had..... :D

Just goes to show that the majority of the public is more impressed by advertising and mass marketing than by quality! I'm not sure that many (if any) of the local restaurants would want to give up their quality in order to be packed. Not saying that there's not a place for chain restaurants but they certainly aim in a different section of the market and a different clientele.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

robert szappanos

{ RANK }

Foodie

louisville, ky

by robert szappanos » Sun May 04, 2008 8:41 am

No wonder that places go out of bussiness...I sure am glad that with that attitude...you are not the one watching my investments...
no avatar
User

Brad W

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 30, 2008 2:38 pm

Liquor Barn Louisville

by Brad W » Sun May 04, 2008 10:57 am

It's not a power-chain, but the Mitchell's Seafood joint at the Summit has treated me pretty well, I'm pretty sure there are at least 2 other locations regionally, maybe more. I've had good lunch and dinner there. Fresh fish, decent beer and drinks.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sun May 04, 2008 11:07 am

Brad W wrote:It's not a power-chain, but the Mitchell's Seafood joint at the Summit has treated me pretty well, I'm pretty sure there are at least 2 other locations regionally, maybe more. I've had good lunch and dinner there. Fresh fish, decent beer and drinks.

Mitchell's recently changed hands - the smallish Cameron Mitchell chain sold all the Fish Markets, I believe, to Ruth's Chris.
User

carla griffin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:32 pm

by carla griffin » Mon May 05, 2008 6:56 am

Mark R. wrote:

Just goes to show that the majority of the public is more impressed by advertising and mass marketing than by quality! I'm not sure that many (if any) of the local restaurants would want to give up their quality in order to be packed. Not saying that there's not a place for chain restaurants but they certainly aim in a different section of the market and a different clientele.

Part of it may be mass marketing but I think the biggest appeal is that when you go into a Denny's and order a Grand Slam you know EXACTLY what you're going to get and what you're going to pay for it. No surprises. There's a big faction of people out there that can't stand culinary surprises... EVER. (That's one of the reasons why restaurants that exhibit their menus in front before you enter, tend to have a bit heavier traffic. But that's getting back to marketing again.) Other folks , like me, love culinary surprises as long as they're pleasant ones. I don't mind a bad experience that I can mark up to learning as long as it comes at a time when I can afford it.
Carla
There is one thing more exasperating than a wife who can cook and won't, and that's a wife who can't cook and will. ~Robert Frost