Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

LEO/LHB: Sushi is good in the neighborhood

by Robin Garr » Wed Apr 30, 2008 8:39 am

LEO's Eats with Louisville HotBytes

A few weeks ago, I had occasion to nosh my way through Sushi In The City, a sociable fundraising event at which a random selection of local sushi bars (and a few other eateries) provided samples of their wares.

The experience was so tasty that it left me craving even more of the stuff, so in recent weeks, I've made it my business to check out a couple more recent arrivals on the metro sushi scene.

Some people are still a bit wary of sushi - the concept of eating raw fish does take some getting used to. But as I said in the previous report, 125 million Japanese can't all be wrong, and enough of us have acquired the taste to support more than 20 good sushi restaurants around town.

Two more have arrived recently: Oishii Sushi in the Highlands opened last month and Hanabi Sushi & Japanese Cuisine in Prospect around the end of the year. A third arrival, Hiko A Mon in Westport Village, opened just last week, and I'll take my chopsticks and get out there, too, one day soon.

Full report in LEO and on LouisvilleHotBytes.

Oishii Sushi
2245 Bardstown Road
618-2829
Robin Garr's rating: 88 points

Hanabi Sushi & Japanese Cuisine
6027 Timber Ridge Drive
228-8244
Robin Garr's rating: 82 points
User

Mark Head

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:44 pm

Prospect

Re: LEO/LHB: Sushi is good in the neighborhood

by Mark Head » Wed Apr 30, 2008 10:04 am

When I became "addicted" to sushi several years ago my dining habits and wallet changed - one for the better and one for the worse. Sushi is pure and soulfull when done right....and cat food in the wrong hands.

My wife and I had dinner at Hanabi last fall and didn't really care for the food - the service was spotty. I was told they were having trouble finding qualified staff. I have subsequently been told that they have a "new" sushi chef from Las Vegas and the hiring issues have been resolved. I suppose that is reflected in Robin's rather positive review. On the other hand I'm so picky about where I eat raw fish, why take a chance? So given the number of local options, our "go-to" sushi is Tokyo on Lime Kiln. For a change of pace it's either Maido or Sapporo (sic). I tend to avoid places that have habachi grills given the noise level and the "oily grill aroma". Sapporo (sic) does have these segregated to one side better than most.

We need to give Oishii a try.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Apr 30, 2008 11:32 am

Mark Head wrote:our "go-to" sushi is Tokyo on Lime Kiln.

That's an excellent pick, Mark. I think people overlook it because it's small and in a strip center, but I agree that the sushi is exceptional.

Don't overlook Maido, even if it's technically not a sushi bar - it's in the top rank for me.
User

Jeffrey D.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 10, 2007 11:49 am

Prospect

by Jeffrey D. » Wed Apr 30, 2008 11:59 am

I can't get enough sushi. Although not the best in town, dollar night at Shogun is a cheaper way to scratch my super white tuna itch.
My memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
Also, my memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

by Andrew Mellman » Wed Apr 30, 2008 8:54 pm

Regarding Hiko A Mon in Westport Village . . .

We went there tonight. While I'll write a more detailed report later, given their menu, our experience, et al, I'd describe them as a Kyoto-style restaurant with sushi rather than a sushi restaurant with main dishes also.
Andrew Mellman
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Apr 30, 2008 9:14 pm

andrew mellman wrote:I'll write a more detailed report later

We'll look forward to it, Andrew!
no avatar
User

Solomon Gayman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Nov 29, 2007 8:47 am

highlands

by Solomon Gayman » Mon May 05, 2008 4:16 pm

This place is awesome.. The name means delicious sushi in Japanese and thats exactly what it is. It is not expensive and the quality is excellent. The have a yum yum roll that will make your day.