Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Gasthaus/Erika's

no avatar
User

MarieP

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:56 pm

St. Matthews

Gasthaus/Erika's

by MarieP » Tue Apr 29, 2008 10:02 pm

I just went there tonight with my parents. I had not been in about a year, and, while the food was still excellent as ever (I had the weiner schnitzel and pan fried potatoes), the prices seem to have gone up by $4 for the meals (I am not exaggerating! My schnitzel/potatoes were $19) Also, the desserts are about $8 now.

Is Erika's still open? I did not like it quite as well as Gasthaus, but it still was great! Is it still less expensive?

And, of course, the German plate at Flabby's is good :D
no avatar
User

Bob B

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 12, 2008 4:39 pm

Germantown

Re: Gasthaus/Erika's

by Bob B » Wed Apr 30, 2008 7:33 am

Yes, Erika's is still doing great business. In fact she is a good friend of ours. In my opinion her place is more like a typical gasthaus you'd find in Germany, very relaxed and friendly. They even have a stamtisch table where family and friends sit to visit. Erika's prices are between $13-$16 for most entrees and include a salad and side. And of course Erika waits on the tables and her husband Tom is in the kitchen. They are a great couple.
no avatar
User

Mark Head

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:44 pm

Prospect

by Mark Head » Wed Apr 30, 2008 10:16 am

We like both places. Erika's is less expensive and more casual. I wish she would do something about the atmosphere....there is none. The food is really good with nice generous portions. We've gottin to know Erika over the years going back to her days in that long closed German place on the square in J-town.

The Gasthaus is virtually next door to us...but we tend to eat there only on special occasions in the fall and winter as it's a bit more expensive. The desserts are top notch! Again the food is really good. Of note - they had a German Spatsburgunder (sic) (a sort of German burgundy/pinot noir) on the wine list last time we were there that was a real bargin given the quality of the wine.

My wife and really miss the German place that was out on Dixie Highway in the old Alamo Court Motel....now that was really good and relatively inexpensive German eatting at the time.
no avatar
User

Shawn Vest

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Jul 15, 2007 9:10 pm

850 main street, charlestown, indiana

by Shawn Vest » Wed Apr 30, 2008 11:27 pm

what was the name of the place on dixie??
i only went once, and it was great.
Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza. D Barry
www.ctownpizzaco.com
850 MAIN 812-256-2699
no avatar
User

Robert Carnighan

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:47 am

none

by Robert Carnighan » Thu May 01, 2008 10:14 am

It was The Bavarian Dine Inn. Great place in a dreadful motel. There was another German place further out Dixie on the river side named The Monarch Club.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu May 01, 2008 10:33 am

Robert Carnighan wrote:It was The Bavarian Dine Inn. Great place in a dreadful motel. There was another German place further out Dixie on the river side named The Monarch Club.

I believe, although memory grows hazy over the years, that these two places were owned sequentially by the same individual.

Doesn't anyone remember Kienle's in the Shelbyville Road Plaza? Now, that was classy German dining!
no avatar
User

Steve Shade

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:53 am

by Steve Shade » Thu May 01, 2008 11:31 am

Robin Garr wrote:
Robert Carnighan wrote:It was The Bavarian Dine Inn. Great place in a dreadful motel. There was another German place further out Dixie on the river side named The Monarch Club.

I believe, although memory grows hazy over the years, that these two places were owned sequentially by the same individual.

Doesn't anyone remember Kienle's in the Shelbyville Road Plaza? Now, that was classy German dining!

You are right about the Monarch Club and the motel place being owned by the same lady. The Monarch Club was one of the weirdest places you would ever go. Sometimes when you ordered beer, they would go to the local bar and get it. The bar originally consisted of two whiskey barrels with boards. The printed menu had little relation to what you ate. You got what they were fixing that night. Best directions to the place was to go to the "Last Chance Bar" .. Jefferson County line .. First Chance if you were coming towards Jefferson County. Turn around and go down the little street by the junk yard towards the river to a house which is where you would find an old house. Went many times.

Kienle's was just the opposite. You wore a tie. Only a couple of tables in what was a deli. Mrs Kienle would tell you the couple of dinner choices. It was also excellent, but in a different and more formal way.

Both of them were like eating in someone's home, but a completely different type of home.
"Don't accept your dog's admiration as
conclusive evidence that you are wonderful."
-- Ann Landers
no avatar
User

Mark Head

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:44 pm

Prospect

by Mark Head » Thu May 01, 2008 2:03 pm

Yes... The Bavaian Dine In! Really cool place.

I had one dinner at The Monarch's Club. We thought we had to be in the wrong place when we crossed the train tracks by the junk yard. Actually had a nice view of the river once you got past the wrecked cars. :mrgreen:
no avatar
User

Casey J.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Mar 13, 2007 4:39 pm

Elizabethtown + Prospect

by Casey J. » Sun May 04, 2008 7:19 am

We have tried all of the places mentioned above and feel that the added price at Gasthaus is warranted. The service, meal and dessert are always fantastic. It is also always packed.
The path to progress, though not always smooth, was blazed by men of restless intelligence, tinkerers seized with a vision of change.
no avatar
User

robert szappanos

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 4:17 pm

louisville, ky

by robert szappanos » Sun May 04, 2008 8:55 am

You say it is packed....Geee the food quality must be lacking...... :lol: