Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

sergios world beers

no avatar
User

S Cruz

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Feb 27, 2008 2:42 pm

401 East Main St. @ Slugger Field

sergios world beers

by S Cruz » Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:42 am

anyone heard of this place? i saw it on the louisville diner site. its off of shelbyville rd.
Eat, Drink, and Be Merry.
no avatar
User

Robert Carnighan

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:47 am

none

Re: sergios world beers

by Robert Carnighan » Mon Apr 28, 2008 1:56 pm

We have been there many times. It is actually just on the Louisville side of Shelbyville Road at the Simpsonville exit from I64 and very close to the Old Stone Inn. Sergio is the owner. He was born in Brazil and raised in France. He speaks a gazillion languages. The building looks like a converted gas station and is a dump. The menu is extremely long, diverse and favors Italian and Mexican. He has hundreds of exotic bottled beers and eight or ten taps with some hard to find craft brews. It is worth the drive; the food is good, the servings huge and the prices are low.
no avatar
User

Rick G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 2:05 am

by Rick G » Mon Apr 28, 2008 9:56 pm

The beer may be good and the food may be good but that is one of the dirtiest places I have ever been in.
No way will I eat there.....Sorry
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Apr 29, 2008 8:09 am

Rick G wrote:The beer may be good and the food may be good but that is one of the dirtiest places I have ever been in.
No way will I eat there.....Sorry

Rick, are you talking about the food or the overall environment? Do they have a sanitation inspection report on view?
no avatar
User

Rick G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 2:05 am

by Rick G » Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:04 am

I'm talking about the over all enviroment.
no avatar
User

Roger A. Baylor

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:01 pm

New Albany

by Roger A. Baylor » Wed Apr 30, 2008 8:33 am

I found it to be cluttered in a folksy and endearing way, but not dirty.
Roger A. Baylor
Beer Director at Pints&union (New Albany)
Digital Editor at Food & Dining Magazine
New Albany, Indiana
no avatar
User

John Hagan

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:38 pm

SPENCER CO. Lake Wazzapamani

by John Hagan » Fri Sep 05, 2008 3:15 pm

I know its been awhile since anyone has added to this thread but we stopped in last night for the first time. Living out here in the sticks we have drivin by this place hundreds of times(near Claudia Sanders,Lou end of Shelbyville) and have never stopped. For some reason yesterday this old thread popped in my head and thought we ought to check it out. The outside is not particularly inviting nor is it a total turn off either,kind of a carnival stand crossed with a service station look going on. This didnt faze us,the gordita trailer is not much to look at either but as we know the food rocks. Once inside the door you are in a pretty large dinning room with hundreds of empty beer bottles that line the window sills. Its appears there are some more tables behind some curtains at one end of the room kind of hard to tell what that was all about. A few of the tables in the main room had some cardboard boxes pilled on them as though it was part of some unfinished project. While there were cars in the lot we didnt see anybody seated nor did anybody greet us at the door. We walked in kind of moving toward the back where we heard some noise coming from and found a little bar type area set up with about a half dozen card size tables stuffed in this small room. This "back room" was filled with a pretty diverse crowd. A handfull of business sales type guys, a couple of blue collar types,a guy and his wife out to eat,and a few other colorfull charters. The owner met us at the entrance to the bar area and gestured to a table in the room. I pointed to the bar and said we will just sit there. He looked a bit surprised but happy at the same time. I asked for the beer list and he brought a phone book size binder filled with tasting notes and commentary through out. I read a couple pages written by Roger Bayor that semed to be from a blog or something. I was overwhelmed and put myself in the hands of Sergio. Just bring me what you like that you have on tap. As I recall there were about 14 different brews on tap(over 600 in bottles) that included a fine Russain stout,great Belgiums,some Bells, I cant remember all that was on tap but everything he brought me was great. The place is covered in hand written commentary notes from the regulars as well as many dry erase boards showing the number of different world beers each regular has tried. Sergio was at the top of the list with over 700. The next down was in the 600s as I recall. This area is also covered up in beer bottles, they are on the wall,windows,all over the bar. Its really quite a collection. It kind of reminds me of being in a real beer geeks basement , a guy who never threw out an empty bottle knowing that just looking at it would remind him of that fine brew. I remember hearing about the cheesesteak before so decided to give it a try. This thing was huge. Anne and I split one and were both filled up. The meat was cut right,easy to eat but not so cut up that it lost its texture. The cheese was yellow but not of the wiz type. Served on good chewy fresh roll topped with grilled peppers and onions. The fries that came with this reminded me of the ones at Ollies Trolley just a bit more crisp. I am not sure I would take someone here for an anniversary dinner and its probably not a good first date place but if your into beer I would highly reccomend this joint. As we were sitting there I told Anne if Bordain ever comes to Louisville this would be right up his alley. I wouldnt go as far to call this place dirty,but it does have a charm all its own.We did poke our heads in the kitchen and it was very clean and orderly. Anne concluded that Sergio must be a bachelor as this palce shows no sign of a womans touch. No ,its not your normal bar and eatery(TGImcawfuls). When you order water they bring you a miller lite product. That sealed the deal for me, I am going back. So if you go, head toward the little room in back and let Sergio show off a really incredible selection of beer, made all the more impressive that its sitting right here in Shelbyville.
The tall one wants white toast, dry, with nothin' on it.
And the short one wants four whole fried chickens, and a Coke.
no avatar
User

Shawn Vest

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Jul 15, 2007 9:10 pm

850 main street, charlestown, indiana

by Shawn Vest » Fri Sep 05, 2008 3:23 pm

hooray for good beer in the metro
Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza. D Barry
www.ctownpizzaco.com
850 MAIN 812-256-2699
no avatar
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Sat Sep 06, 2008 8:35 am

John,
When you order water they bring you a miller lite product. That sealed the deal for me, I am going back.

Did they really? You ask for a glass of water and they bring you Miller Lite? That's hysterical!!!! I'll have to send Brian's "guy's night" group out that way.

Deb
no avatar
User

S Cruz

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Feb 27, 2008 2:42 pm

401 East Main St. @ Slugger Field

by S Cruz » Sat Sep 06, 2008 11:23 pm

thanks for the review, still havent made it out.
Eat, Drink, and Be Merry.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sun Sep 07, 2008 7:43 am

John Hagan wrote:When you order water they bring you a miller lite product. That sealed the deal for me, I am going back.

Hilarious!!

And a great review, John! Really, truly puts us in the picture of a unique and idiosyncratic place. Thanks!
no avatar
User

Jeremy Markle

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jul 09, 2007 2:58 pm

In my car

by Jeremy Markle » Mon Sep 08, 2008 12:45 pm

I have never failed to meet an interesting person at Sergio's, including Sergio himself. I have seen many beercentric places in the world, and this podunk place in Shelbyville is a one-of-a-kind treat. Like a previous poster said, if no one greets you at the door, just wander towards the back. If a cook comes out that doesn't speak much English, just order some chips and salsa and point to a tap.

When Sergio does show up, he'll steer you toward the cheesesteak, but try the chile rellenos. They are firey hot and superb. And if you are beer geek, be sure to ask him what goodies he has in his cellar. He's got some gems.
Check out the new http://www.kentuckyale.com
no avatar
User

Jackie R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Mar 06, 2007 3:48 pm

Highlands

by Jackie R. » Mon Sep 08, 2008 6:47 pm

Amazing review. Thank you. I want to go there.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Sep 08, 2008 6:48 pm

Jackie R. wrote:Amazing review. Thank you. I want to go there.

Forum offline!? :D
no avatar
User

Jackie R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Mar 06, 2007 3:48 pm

Highlands

by Jackie R. » Mon Sep 08, 2008 6:49 pm

In
Next