Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

new restaurant-Olivia's

no avatar
User

Ellen White

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:00 pm

st. matthews

new restaurant-Olivia's

by Ellen White » Sat Apr 26, 2008 1:42 pm

Last night, I went to the VIP Preview Party (me, a VIP?) at Goss Avenue Antiquess & Interiors (where the Louisville Antique Mall used to be). They are going to have a new restaurant, called Olivia's. The chef's mother was there, handing out menus. She said that the chef, Travis Hall, used to own Eva Mae's on River Road. The planned opening date is May 5, although it could be a little later. This is at 946 Goss Avenue, phone 224-5545, email oliviasrestaurant@yahoo.com. The entrance to the antique mall has been re-done and looks nicer. The restaurant is on the first floor (the old Cafe was on the 2nd floor). It looks like a pretty nice space. The chef's mother said the Chef likes to do catering, and they will be doing parties, wedding receptions, etc.

Unfortunately, it doesn't look like there are many vegetarian items on the menu, except the children's menu has a pb&j, grilled cheese, or tuna sandwich, or there is a pimento sandwich, or a couple of salads. However, the menu does sound interesting, and vegetarians could probably order something off the menu "minus meat".

Soup:
Creamy Tomato Dill
Soup of the Day

Salad:
Served w/freshly baked bread
Funny Cide: house salad w/crisp greens, shredded carrot, egg, cheese, diced tomato, cucumber, and potato sticks. $3.95
Donerail: roast chix, bacon, tomatoes, avocado, olive oil croutons, blue cheese crumbles, red onion. $6.95
Kauai King: lettuce, napa cabbage, ramen noodles, celery, sweet peppers, ginger chix, red onion with ginger honey-lime vinaigrette $6.95
Sea Hero: grapes, pancetta, golden raisins, slivered red onion, lettuce, dried apricots, toasted pine nuts. $7.50
Smarty Jones: ham, turkey, tomato, onion, egg, bacon, cheddar. $7.95
Winning Colors: roast chix, feta, slivered almonds, mandarin oranges, and onion, tossed w/cranberry-honey vinaigrette and crisp greens $7.50

Sandwiches:
All sandwiches are served grilled w/choice of one side item.
Genuine Risk: southwest chix, pepperjack, bacon, avocado, chipotle mayo on grilled hoagie $7.75
Secretariat: mesquite salmon, provolone, bacon, chipotle mayo on wheatberry w/lettuce, onion, tomato $7.95
Seattle Slew: Olivia's soon to be famous reuben. corned beef, swiss, kraut, and 1000 island grilled on swirled rye $7.50
Riva Ridge: roast pork, smoked ham, cheddar, swiss, dill pickles, yellow mustard, mayo on grilled hoagie $7.50
Northern Dancer: ground beef, grilled onion, tomato, dill pickle slices, queso wrapped in flour tortilla and grilled until
crunchy on the outside $7.25
Spectacular Bid: buffalo chix, provolone, celery mayo on grilled hoagie, served w/ranch dressing $7.50

Sides:
All are $1.25
potato chips, pasta salad, apples and grapes, asian slaw, potato salad

Kids Choices. All $4.00. Sandwiches served w/chips:
grilled cheese, pb&j,turkey,tuna,ham

Desserts: all are $3.95
bread pudding, banana pudding, key lime cheesecake, apple brown betty, thoroughbred pie

What do you think?
Just from my point of view, the menu seems a little heavy, especially for lunch at the antique mall. Seems to me like it would be more a "ladies who lunch" kind of place, with a little lighter fare.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: new restaurant-Olivia's

by Robin Garr » Sat Apr 26, 2008 1:50 pm

Ellen White wrote:Last night, I went to the VIP Preview Party (me, a VIP?) at Goss Avenue Antiquess & Interiors (where the Louisville Antique Mall used to be). They are going to have a new restaurant, called Olivia's. The chef's mother was there, handing out menus. She said that the chef, Travis Hall, used to own Eva Mae's on River Road. \

Thanks for the report, Ellen! It certainly sounds worth checking out, and I do recall Travis, who had big plans for Eva Mae's.

One thing surprises me: I thought the antique mall was moving out because they were going to convert that old building into condo lofts ... I'm surprised to hear that something similar is going in there. Or maybe it's condos on the second floor, antiques on the first?
no avatar
User

Ellen White

{ RANK }

Foodie

st. matthews

by Ellen White » Sat Apr 26, 2008 11:38 pm

I'm not sure about that, but I did notice that, at least at the preview last night, everything was on the first floor. I know someone who works there and I will try to find out.
no avatar
User

Michele Cull

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jun 06, 2007 9:44 am

Original Highlands

by Michele Cull » Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:14 am

I think this is how the story goes...
The "Louisville Antique Mall" moved to 834 E Broadway and will have a restaurant on the 5th floor. The owners of the building on Goss decided to keep a mall going over there. (My hubby has a booth at LAM.)

More shopping for me!!

MissChele
MissChele
no avatar
User

Ellen White

{ RANK }

Foodie

st. matthews

by Ellen White » Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:18 am

My contact at the Goss Avenue Antique Mall says that all of the antiques are on the first floor. He said they may eventually do some condos on the 3rd floor, but there are no plans at this time.