Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

CJ: 3 1/2 stars for Buck's

User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

CJ: 3 1/2 stars for Buck's

by Robin Garr » Sat Apr 26, 2008 9:52 am

Marty lavishes praise on Buck's in Old Louisville this week, bestowing a 3 1/2-star rating in an unusually long (692-word) review. Only a "dismal disappointment" of a dessert mars an otherwise 100 percent positive review.

Buck's charms with history
Setting is perfect for a romantic meal

Buck's Restaurant and Bar
425 W. Ormsby
(502) 637-5284
User

Mark Head

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:44 pm

Prospect

Re: CJ: 3 1/2 stars for Buck's

by Mark Head » Sat Apr 26, 2008 1:23 pm

Buck's has location, atmosphere, and style....no question. We've had dinner there a couple times in the past 6 months and without delving into specifics that I can't totally recall, we felt let down by the food. Nothing "bad" just not particularly exciting.

Maybe we should go back again?
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat Apr 26, 2008 1:43 pm

Mark Head wrote: we felt let down by the food. Nothing "bad" just not particularly exciting.

Maybe we should go back again?

Or maybe not. I haven't been back to Buck's for a while, but my attitude over the years has consistently been similar to yours. Nothing really wrong with the food, but I think of Buck's as first tier for atmosphere, but not really up with the top players for food. Just about what you said ... nothing wrong with it, but not always exciting.
User

Leah S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:31 pm

Old Louisville

by Leah S » Sun Apr 27, 2008 2:48 pm

That's actually been our experience also. And for the menu prices, I want some excitment. Nothing bad, but nothing innovative either.
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:48 am

by Ron Johnson » Mon Apr 28, 2008 7:48 am

The food might be a bit on the safe side, but it is always good. The kitchen is manned by an Ed Garber protege. As for atmosphere, service, warmth of reception, quality of cocktails, and ambience, the place can't be beat.

In my mind there are few better places to sit at the bar and enjoy a martini.