Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Lovely meal at the Patron

User

Melissa Richards-Person

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 08, 2007 3:05 pm

The 'burbs of the Ville

Lovely meal at the Patron

by Melissa Richards-Person » Fri Apr 06, 2007 10:46 am

My hubby and I dined fairly late Saturday at the Patron.

Somehow in the rush of new openings and things to check out, I had forgotten this place that has been a Brunch favorite and a place for Derby and Oaks box lunches in the past. But I had a LO's gift certificate, and thought - Wow, we haven't been there in a while, so we went after a day of working in the yard.

Amber McCool was behind the bar and warmly welcomed us. There were a couple ladies at the bar, and two other tables. The place had a nice lounge-y night time vibe.

I was a happy, happy gal when I looked at the menu and saw the smoked tomato and lima bean soup. This almost has the rich, smoky flavor of chili, and is just as hearty, but seems "lighter" and I love the juicy tomato flavor and the earthiness of the limas.

I also had the Crispy Country Ham salad. God bless a restaurant the understands the way to actually dress a salad - the honey vinagrette just very lightly coated the spinach leaves, and the dressing, poached pear slices and candied walnuts were a great sweet counterpoint to the salty country ham. This was actually my favorite part of the meal!

Hubby had the Roasted Tomato and Goat Cheese Napoleon, which is a Patron classic. There wasn't a bit left, and he rarely spoke after taking the first bite, so I'm assuming it was great! I had the Maine Lobster Pasta with pappardelle, muscles, leeks and larger-than-I-expected pieces of lobster in a savory seafood broth. It was a little bit salty, but not overwhelming, and was quite delicious.

We have a new way to use up leftover waffles after sharing the dessert special. It was an Irish bread pudding - made with waffles instead of bread, irish whiskey, white and dark chocolate and whipped cream. YUM!

Matt was a friendly, attentive, knowledgable server; and overall, the experience made me wonder why we don't go there more often! Thanks to Amber and her staff for a lovely meal!
User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:00 am

Shelby County

by TP Lowe » Fri Apr 06, 2007 11:28 am

I couldn't agree more about Amber's place. It is just so far away from "front of mind" for me, but I need to make an effort to be there more than a couple of times a year. I'd love for Amber to have a bigger "buzz" in the region.
no avatar
User

John Lisherness

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:25 pm

The Highlands

Great for Sunday brunch too

by John Lisherness » Sat Apr 07, 2007 5:42 pm

I couldn't agree more on the excellent food and service at the Patron.
Their Sunday brunch is great (check out the menu on their website) with one of the best Bloody Marys in town.