Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Oishii Sushi restaurant

no avatar
User

Jeremy J

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Mar 20, 2007 11:30 am

Louisville, KY

Oishii Sushi restaurant

by Jeremy J » Wed Apr 23, 2008 9:32 am

Went into the new sushi joint on Bardstown Rd. yesterday (across from Left Field Lounge where Papa Johns was like 9 years ago) and was very very impressed! The portions were extremely generous. We ordered Hamchi and Maguro nigiri, the fish was cut thick and draped over the rice expertly. We also tried a couple rolls, several of which were standard sushi fare and several of which were very interesting unique creations. The Pacific roll had Tuna, Yellow tail, and shrimp with tempura crumbles, hot sauce and japanese seasoned mayonnaise and was my wife's favorite, which worked out well because with tuna, flying fish roe, mango, cream cheese, avocado and hot sauce, the Hot Girl roll was definitely mine! Fantastic lunch, with a beautifully presented complimentary orange for dessert. Total was $37 before a well deserved $9 tip.

Oishii essentially translates as "tasty" in japanese and this restaurant DEFINITELY lives up to it's name.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Oishii Sushi restaurant

by Robin Garr » Wed Apr 23, 2008 10:11 am

Jeremy J wrote:Oishii essentially translates as "tasty" in japanese and this restaurant DEFINITELY lives up to it's name.

I've become a fan, too. Oishii ranks among the best sushi joints in town for me. I understand that the chefs boast experience at Sapporo, for what it's worth ...
no avatar
User

Gretchen D.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:18 pm

the Highlands

by Gretchen D. » Wed Apr 23, 2008 9:52 pm

Thanks for the review, Jeremy, and for the supporting comment, Robin. This place is definitely within walking distance from my house on a nice day... and Graeter's would be on the way home! :D I will have to try it soon. Do they have seaweed salad, and has anyone tried it? That is a favorite of mine at Sapporo.
no avatar
User

Jeremy J

{ RANK }

Foodie

Louisville, KY

by Jeremy J » Thu Apr 24, 2008 1:17 am

They do! But I didn't try it this time around...I will say it looked great!
no avatar
User

Solomon Gayman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Nov 29, 2007 8:47 am

highlands

by Solomon Gayman » Mon May 05, 2008 4:30 pm

this place is awesome! yum yum roll was my favorite
no avatar
User

Steffani S

{ RANK }

Just got here

Mon Apr 28, 2008 7:38 pm

by Steffani S » Wed May 07, 2008 10:52 pm

I went with a small group on Sunday evening and we sat at the bar (there are only a handful of tables). The atmosphere is casual and the chefs were very friendly. There's an option on the menu to order sashimi by writing in a $ amount of your choice. I requested $10 of tuna, salmon, and snapper and was very happy with the portions, quality, and presentation.

One of the chefs was preparing a roll for another table and someone in our group asked what one of the ingredients was... it was baby octopus. A few minutes later, the chef set a plate of baby octopuses in front of us to try (I believe they were coated in eel sauce but could be wrong about that). It was a bit out of my comfort zone but I couldn't pass up the opportunity. After that, he also prepared a calamari roll for us, which was absolutely amazing. Give it a shot if you're at all curious - it's great!
no avatar
User

Jeremy J

{ RANK }

Foodie

Louisville, KY

by Jeremy J » Thu May 08, 2008 1:09 am

Went again last week...A+++!!!