Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

A Thai Feast

User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:00 am

Shelby County

A Thai Feast

by TP Lowe » Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:35 am

I know I shouldn't post this (only because you'll all wish you were with me!), but I have to share the Thai feast I just attended in Bangkok. It was painfully upscale, at the Orient Hotel "The Sala." Fortunately, I was with a group that paid my way! Here's the lineup:

Laab Ped Yaang (spicy roasted duck salad)

Poo Nim Thod (batter-fried soft shell crab with sweet chili/basil sauce)

Hor Mok Pla (steamed curry fish mousse with coconut cream topping)

Gaeng Juad Kai Paagsob Gub Tao Hu (vegetable, egg tofu minced shrimp in chicken broth)

Gaeng Phed Goong Bai Chapoo (red prawn curry with wild betel leaves)

Nuea Phad Prig Thai Dam (wok seared beef with black pepper sauce)

Phad Phag (wok sauteed vegetables with oyster sauce)

Khow Hom Mali (steamed fragrant jasmine rice)

Sam Sae (date, red bean, lotus seed in scented jasmine syrup with crushed ice)

Look Chug (yellow bean marzipan)

Polamai (fresh fruits.

Whew. I'm exhausted just reliving it. While this was an excellent Thai meal, I recognize that it was not terribly challenging from the diner's perspective, although the heat in most of the dishes where appropriate was probably a tick more than I expected. I think the highlight was the Poo Nim Thod, followed by the Hor Mok Pla (which I enjoyed immensely for the creativity of the curry fish mousse).

Today was a holy day for the Hindu, so no wine or liquor was served! I was hoping Robin would be able to critique my pairings, but no such opportunity will present itself. Tomorrow is a half day or temple touring, so maybe I'll have something interesting to offer from the streets ... (and, for any hard core Thai fans, I apologize for any misspellings - I was taking notes as fast as I could!)
User

Megan Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:12 pm

scenic Germantown

by Megan Johnson » Sat Mar 03, 2007 7:42 pm

}}} jealous {{{
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:48 am

by Ron Johnson » Mon Mar 05, 2007 12:35 pm

sounds amazing TP. Thanks for the reports.
User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:00 am

Shelby County

by TP Lowe » Mon Mar 05, 2007 1:11 pm

Thanks, Ron - it was an unusual treat. I had two very formal Thai sittings while in Bangkok, and a couple of informal (of which I would have appreciated more opportunities!). Regardless, a great experience...