Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

hiko-a-mon?

no avatar
User

Jenny H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 29, 2007 12:14 pm

hiko-a-mon?

by Jenny H » Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:03 pm

I am guessing that kiko-a-mon japanese restaurant in Westport Village is open now. Does anyone know if this is correct? Has anyone been yet? I think I may try it out tonight. Their website is up so I think that is a good sign... http://www.hikoamon.com/ as to them being open. Thanks!
no avatar
User

RG/Mobile

{ RANK }

Forum host

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:02 am

Could be anywhere!

Re: hiko-a-mon?

by RG/Mobile » Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:09 pm

I have not checked it out, but it looks promising. The chef reportedly brings over a loyal following from Shogun. They were also planning a small retail fish market on the premises.
no avatar
User

Jenny H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 29, 2007 12:14 pm

by Jenny H » Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:41 pm

I just called and they open tomorrow. Bummer!
no avatar
User

Broc Smith

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Feb 24, 2008 6:56 pm

by Broc Smith » Tue Apr 22, 2008 11:10 pm

I've been inside throughout the later build-out. I like the upper level room where it looks like you sit in the floor. I wanted to go to the offline at BJ's, but I will be checking out Hiko's work...

I even skipped penny sake Tuesday at Sakura Blue to get ready.
no avatar
User

Jackie R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Mar 06, 2007 3:48 pm

Highlands

by Jackie R. » Tue Apr 22, 2008 11:36 pm

Just got home from their soft opening / friends and family coutesy night (I was there for software programming and training) and I have to say that I like it alot. Really nice people and a classy concept. Tomorrow is their official kickoff. I think we all will consider it to be an affable addition to the community.
no avatar
User

Ethan Ray

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:30 pm

by Ethan Ray » Tue Apr 22, 2008 11:47 pm

From the looks of the website (very well done i might add), this place looks very promising and might be able to give some of the other top sushi spots a run for their money.

...and hell, they have monk fish liver on the menu - which i don't think i've seen before in Louisville.

Ballsy.
Ethan Ray

I put vegetables in your desserts, white chocolate with your fish and other nonsense stuff that you think shouldn't make sense, but coax the nonsense into something that makes complete sense in your mouth. Just open your mind, mouth and eat.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Apr 23, 2008 7:24 am

Ethan Ray wrote:...and hell, they have monk fish liver on the menu - which i don't think i've seen before in Louisville.

Tokyo Sushi (Lime Kiln) has it fairly regularly as a special. Foie gras of the sea, it is ...

Click and page down to review of the ankimo (monkfish liver) at Tokyo Japanese
no avatar
User

Ethan Ray

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:30 pm

by Ethan Ray » Wed Apr 23, 2008 10:41 am

Robin Garr wrote:
Ethan Ray wrote:...and hell, they have monk fish liver on the menu - which i don't think i've seen before in Louisville.

Tokyo Sushi (Lime Kiln) has it fairly regularly as a special. Foie gras of the sea, it is ...

Click and page down to review of the ankimo (monkfish liver) at Tokyo Japanese

Well, i meant on a printed menu as a regular item.

I mean, specials are special.
Ethan Ray

I put vegetables in your desserts, white chocolate with your fish and other nonsense stuff that you think shouldn't make sense, but coax the nonsense into something that makes complete sense in your mouth. Just open your mind, mouth and eat.
no avatar
User

Jackie R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands

by Jackie R. » Thu Apr 24, 2008 8:13 pm

Was there again last night and Chef Hiko (very very nice man) prepared sushi for me. It was the "jewel box" - a bed of sushi rice with sea urchin (my first time with the urchin - adventurous even for me), yellowtail, tuna, salmon, octopus, shrimp, bbq eel, and tamago (sweet egg...mmm...). I ate it all, not entirely out of hunger. Go now, while there is the pervasive fragrance of lillies from all of the floral arrangements people have sent them to congratulate.
no avatar
User

Broc Smith

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Feb 24, 2008 6:56 pm

by Broc Smith » Thu Apr 24, 2008 8:50 pm

Ate there last night...

Hiko started us off with the Toro. It melted in my mouth.

Nam prepared the Dragon Fire, Scallop Fire, and one with crawfish. It might have been a New Orleans Roll or something???

All were excellent. Hiko even provided us with some real wasabi that was given a rough chop.

Finished it off with house prepared tamago. It was nice to have tamago that doesn't come from a vacuum sealed bag.

Nam said that they are going to provide all the ingredients for "take and make" sushi at the carry-out side door. Excellent idea for those who want to make sushi at home for parties, fun, etc.

Enjoy
no avatar
User

Jackie R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands

by Jackie R. » Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:10 pm

Oh yeah! They are going to have a Japanese market with indigenous ingredients and snacks. They're billing it as a fish market, but my understanding is that it will be more of grocery. Only one in Louisville? I know there are alot of Asian markets, but are there any that are true Japanese?
no avatar
User

Robin F.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:50 am

by Robin F. » Mon Jun 09, 2008 9:54 am

I have to jump on the wagon here. My husband and I ate there Friday night and it was great! I started with the house salad, it was just enough and had a great seseame dressing. He had the squid salad (our server seemed please and gave him a "good for you"), it was the deals. I think when we go back I'll have the house salad with the squid salad on the side. It was tangy, the squid were tender and very addictive.

For dinner we split the Crunch Munch roll (spicy crab, tempura crunchies on top) and one of the Spicy Dragon rolls (eel, avocado and maybe tuna?) and not only were they fabulous, but the dragon roll came to the table looking like a dragon with a wasabi head and squid tentacle eyes. I love fun food.

We'll be back.
no avatar
User

Elizabeth S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:36 pm

St. Matthews

by Elizabeth S » Fri Jun 13, 2008 11:04 am

Please add another to the bandwagon. Before I jumped on the bandwagon, I visited several times to confirm my suspicions but after dining there last night I have decided that, IMHO, it's the best sushi in town. To clarify, I found the actual fish to be top notch. I have had several rolls during my previous visits and they have been absolutely delicious but I find that rolls have a tendency to overpower the flavor and texture of the actual raw fish. Last night, I ordered only the nigiri and it was truly a treat. I look forward to returning and having the sashimi and the Chirashi sushi. For all of you true sushi lovers out there, make a trip. You won't be disappointed. Hiko's skills are unparalleled and can't be duplicated in the other Korean owned sushi joints in town (yes, I am talking about Sapporo, Caviar, Fuji, etc...).
no avatar
User

Aaron Newton

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 15, 2007 3:34 pm

by Aaron Newton » Sat Aug 09, 2008 6:59 pm

We finally got a chance to try hiko-A-mon tonight... it was truly fantastic. By far the best new Japanese restaurant in a long long time. We've been long time devotees of Sapporro on Bardstown, but I think that's going to change. Not only was the sushi beautiful and original in presentation, but the noodle bowls we ordered contained some of the most authentic flavors I've seen in a japanese restaurant in Louisville. I can't wait to go back.
no avatar
User

Melissa S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 3:03 pm

by Melissa S » Sat Aug 09, 2008 9:28 pm

I love Hiko-a-Mon. We went for the first time 2 weeks ago and have been there 4 times since. The sushi bar, where we usually like to sit, is well laid out with big comfy chairs. My 2 young boys love to watch their dinner being prepared. The sushi is fantastic and the service has always been perfect. Highly recommend ordering the jewel box and, of course, the sushi.
Next