Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Good Local Eateries near St. X?

no avatar
User

Peg O'Neill

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Mar 13, 2007 12:28 pm

Good Local Eateries near St. X?

by Peg O'Neill » Sun Apr 20, 2008 4:51 pm

I have a lot of family that will be in town for a tournament next weekend, and was hoping to get some recs for good local fare in the vicinity-ish of St. X. Would prefer to avoid Bardstown Rd. Preferably places that may be able to accommodate a large party (maybe 10?), in a casual environment. Thanks!
no avatar
User

Marsha L.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:56 pm

Louisville, KY

Re: Good Local Eateries near St. X?

by Marsha L. » Sun Apr 20, 2008 8:01 pm

Peg O'Neill wrote:I have a lot of family that will be in town for a tournament next weekend, and was hoping to get some recs for good local fare in the vicinity-ish of St. X. Would prefer to avoid Bardstown Rd. Preferably places that may be able to accommodate a large party (maybe 10?), in a casual environment. Thanks!

I would strongly recommend Lolita's Tacos. Just let Juan know you're coming....they even have picnic table seating outside. 459-4356. They have cheese things and ice cream novelties for the kids, too.

Here is the map. It's in a kind of weird corner off the Watterson on Poplar Level. You have to be careful where you turn, but it's worth it. SOOOO worth it!
Marsha Lynch
LEO columnist, free range cook/food writer/food stylist
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sun Apr 20, 2008 8:08 pm

Marsha L. wrote:I would strongly recommend Lolita's Tacos. Just let Juan know you're coming....they even have picnic table seating outside. 459-4356. They have cheese things and ice cream novelties for the kids, too.

Good call. It's very small, but handy to St. X, and frankly, Poplar Level inside the Watterson isn't exactly awash with eateries. There's Danny Mac's, but it seats about four.
no avatar
User

Suzi Bernert

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:08 pm

Louisville, KY

by Suzi Bernert » Sun Apr 20, 2008 8:40 pm

Robin is right, the choices are all pretty limited.

Lolita's is great, but a space problem if the weather is dicey.

The best would be the Cottage Inn on Eastern Parkway. You may be able to reserve the small room to the right there.

There is Shoney's and Denny's on Eastern Parkway

The Chinese Restarant on Preston, near Clark's - can't remember the name......

Panera Bread and Qdoba on Poplar Level and Hess

Folio's on Poplar Level and Trevillian

Frisch's on Poplar Level at 264
Retired from LMEMS
Co-Founder and House Mother
Berndows Enterprise
"Time to eat?"
no avatar
User

Marsha L.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:56 pm

Louisville, KY

by Marsha L. » Sun Apr 20, 2008 8:41 pm

Danny Mac's was my first choice, but frankly I don't think they can handle the sit-down 10-top.

Zoiks - Frolios = Nolios. And don't go to Frisch's if Lolita's is even slighty imaginable.
Marsha Lynch
LEO columnist, free range cook/food writer/food stylist
no avatar
User

Bryan Shepherd

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 30, 2007 6:58 pm

Between Here and There

by Bryan Shepherd » Sun Apr 20, 2008 9:25 pm

You have Jockamo's Pizza, Germantown Cafe, Flabby's, Check's Cafe. Don't go to any of these places next Saturday night, as the Schnitzelburg Walk will be rockin" and a rollin'. On second thought, if your family enjoys people watching, you may want to check out the Schnitzelburg Walk. Cold beer, good food and plenty of odd folks to enjoy!! I may very well be one of those odd folks!

You have to love derby time.........
BShep
no avatar
User

Peg O'Neill

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Peg O'Neill » Mon Apr 21, 2008 11:10 am

The 10-top is erring on the side of everyone coming. It could very well just be me and 2-3 other people. Cottage Inn is a good one. There was an excellent home-cooking type place on Preston Hwy. inside the watterson in the Audubon/Parkway Village area...can't remember what it was called, but it seems like I've driven by there and it looks as though they've changed names and perhaps menu/style? Does anyone know what I'm talking about?
no avatar
User

Derrick Dones

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Aug 13, 2007 11:02 am

by Derrick Dones » Mon Apr 21, 2008 11:30 am

Peg O'Neill wrote:The 10-top is erring on the side of everyone coming. It could very well just be me and 2-3 other people. Cottage Inn is a good one. There was an excellent home-cooking type place on Preston Hwy. inside the watterson in the Audubon/Parkway Village area...can't remember what it was called, but it seems like I've driven by there and it looks as though they've changed names and perhaps menu/style? Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

I belive that you might be thinking of Longino's. I am unsure of that extablishment's status.

I would second Check's and Cottage Inn. Stay away from Frolio's...terrible experience and bad food last time I was in there. Danny Mac's is great, but you might have to do carry-out. Place's like the Monkey Wrench, Logans St. Bar-b-Q, and others are close to st. x and fairly casual.

DD
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Apr 21, 2008 11:34 am

Derrick Dones wrote:I belive that you might be thinking of Longino's. I am unsure of that extablishment's status.

Longino's is closed, sorry.
no avatar
User

Peg O'Neill

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Peg O'Neill » Sat Apr 26, 2008 10:48 pm

Bummer to hear about Longino's. It had the only decent sweet tea I've found in this town (outside of McAllister's - ick!)

Games ended up going OT until after 1 a.m., so everyone had dispersed by then. The boy and I ate at Lolita's today. YUM YUM YUM! I'd wanted to try it for years but never had a chance. Chorrizo & egg burrito. Outstanding.