Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Latin Fusion Derby Tasting

User

Ed Vermillion

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:32 pm

38 degrees 25' 25' N 85 degrees 36' 2' W

Latin Fusion Derby Tasting

by Ed Vermillion » Sat Apr 19, 2008 5:18 pm

This is my kind of Derby event!!!!! If someone already posted this sorry for the repeat.

"Latin Fusion Derby Tasting:

Monday April 28 @ 6:30 PM at Mojito
Chefs Fernando Martinez of Mojito Tapas Restaurant and Bruce Ucan of The Mayan Cafe team up to give you the dinner of your dreams! Enjoy a 7 course latin tasting menu paired with complementing cocktails & wine.

Call Mojito @ 425.0949 for reservations"
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Latin Fusion Derby Tasting

by Robin Garr » Sat Apr 19, 2008 5:35 pm

Ed Vermillion wrote:This is my kind of Derby event!!!!! If someone already posted this sorry for the repeat.

You're the first! Sounds like my kind of event, too ... can't believe I didn't get a notice on this.
no avatar
User

Cristina M

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Oct 20, 2007 9:59 pm

2231 Holiday Manor Center

by Cristina M » Sat Apr 19, 2008 10:43 pm

Sorry for the delay but I did not want to post with out Robin's permission.

We are really exited to have Bruce and Fernando working together.
The 7 courses are as follows:
Watermelon Mojito or Marques de Caceres Rioja
Yucatan Julianne Coconut Salad- Bruce
Scallop Serrano - Fernando
Conch Seviche - Bruce
Latin Mint julip or Don Miguel Gascon
Bacalao a la Biscayna - Fernando (Black Cod)
Mojito Sorbet - Fernando
Lamb Mole - Bruce
Solomillo - Fernando
Madeira Port or Cafe con Leche Martini
Banana Puding de pan w/rum raisin ice cream- Bruce and Fernando

It'll be $80 (tips and tax included) per person for food and drinks mentioned above.
Thank you,
Cristina M
User

Gayle DeM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:42 pm

Bummer

by Gayle DeM » Mon Apr 28, 2008 9:49 pm

This sounded so good and so exciting! Like Ed, I thought this would be my kind of Derby event. Sad to say, we left shortly after seven without having tasted a bite. The "tasting," scheduled for 6:30, had yet to start, although we had been served the first of the three beverages. Before leaving, I checked with Christina who explained that they were still waiting for several reservations to arrive. I have never before been to a dinner/function that appeared open to the public, that then went on hold because the "important" reservations/tickets had not arrived. I'm sorry I missed out on the food, because it sounded extraordinary. However, I always eat a light lunch on the day of a multi-course dinner. I was hungry. A gentleman at the next table was trying unsuccessfully to get a basket of bread. (He was told that the first course would be out in two minutes. We didn’t leave until ten minutes later.) I don't get it! I'll continue to eat at Havana Rumba, but it will probably be some time before I go to Mojito’s again.
While we waited and waited, both Fernando and Bruce came out to kibitz with "other" important or regular customers. I much preferred the welcome we received at Cafe Lou Lou beer dinner several weeks ago. Clay and his mother were busy greeting and talking to all their customers, even me and it was my first time at the new location. I don't get it! Is this the beginning of a new hip trend, which Fernando brought back from Paris?
"I didn't fight my way to the top of the food chain to be a vegetarian" -Erma Bombeck
User

Ed Vermillion

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:32 pm

38 degrees 25' 25' N 85 degrees 36' 2' W

by Ed Vermillion » Tue Apr 29, 2008 10:45 am

Sorry I missed seeing you last night, Gayle. I wish you could have stayed as the food was incredible.

Coconut Salad had arugula with thin crisp coconut strips, toasted pumpkin seeds and small blood orange sections. The mint-chili vinaigrette dressing was clean and fresh. Told my wife that I was seriously thinking about licking the plate clean. My kingdom for a spoon!

Conch Seviche was next. Conch meat marinated in lime with tomatoes, cilantro and pasilla sauce. This dish really sparkled of citrus and sunshine. The conch was very tender.

Scallop Serrano was a very nice sized fresh scallop perfectly seared on both sides, served on a avocado sauce with dots of balsamic vinegar (I think). The scallop had a chip of dried serrano ham inserted in the top of it like a sea fan.. It was dried so the intense flavor of the ham had infused the scallop. Perfect combination.

Bacalao a la Biscayna was a fan of oven roasted black cod over a tomato, capers, garlic, olive oil sauce. It was plated with a sweet plantain fufu (think a small scoop of dense plantain stuffing). A small dollop of puree of kalamata olive was a great counter point to the sweetness of the cod.

Lamb Mole was shredded leg of lamb in a sweet/smoky/dense/dark chocolate mole. I do not care for lamb (my wife loved hers) but the mole sauce was very good. Think dark Ghanaian chocolate intensity squared.

Solomillo was grilled beef tenderloin over mashed manchego cheese potatoes, baby carrot, pearl onions in a spanish port reduction sauce. This dish magnified a feeling of hearty warmth on a cold evening.

Banana Bread Pudding in a bourbon chocolate sauce was a cylinder of dense creamy bread pudding paired with rum raisin ice cream over the chocolate sauce. Chocolate sauce is a poor title to hang on dark, dark chocolate with a hint of bourbon smoke. This time it was my bride who threatened to lick both bowls clean. Decorum won out on both our parts.

To Cristina, Fernando, Bruce and all of the crew at Mojito this was fantastic evening. Thank you for sharing it with us. As I told Cristina on the way out, this was THE Derby celebration for 2008. I'm at work on Derby Day so everyone be safe this week.