Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Stephen D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Feb 03, 2008 3:41 am

Lyndon, Ky

Re: Maybe it was the Tsing Tao ...

by Stephen D » Sat Apr 19, 2008 11:53 am

The Twice- Fried Pig Intestine is delicious as well! The texture of dark meat chicken, with the flavor of roast pork.
no avatar
User

Jackie R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Mar 06, 2007 3:48 pm

Highlands

by Jackie R. » Thu May 08, 2008 7:18 pm

Gretchen D. wrote:
Jackie R. wrote:Anything non-chinese? My most sensuous meat experiences are free from sweet and salty curing. I wanna have a neat and authentic stomach tasting time. My stomach is already growling... for stomach... (insert dracula emoticon)...

There is a little taqueria called La Mexicana next door to La Favorita Grocery at 6201 Preston that makes menudo which is a beef tripe soup... traditionally it uses the first three of the four chambers of a cow's stomach. They make it fresh for Saturday's and maybe Sunday? I have not had it, but their carne asada burrito with green sauce is AMAZING! You could try that for another ethnic version of stomach. Enjoy! :P

Okay - as promised, I tried Tripe / Menudo. I'm embarrassed to say that I cannot remember the name of the little mexican restaurant just south of the Outer Loop off of Preston Hwy. La or El something? I didn't even mean to fulfill my promise on this particular day, I just had a craving for South of the Border. Ordered the flautas. Kept the menu for further review, if for no other reason than to busy myself and entertain the thought of busting my britches on a Sunday morning. I was alone at the bar, sipping on H2o. A man on his way to church took interest and called out, "you should try the menudo!" How did he know??? I had forgotten all about it, and divinity reminded me! I asked, "what is menudo", knowing full well what it was, but I was trying to be humble. The description ensued, and the man admitted he was trying to coax me into trying something I would probably hate, but in a nice way. I believe he trying to make me at "casa" in a teasing way. I replied, "I'm gonna try it!" He said, "don't blame it on me if you don't like, is different", with a heavy accent. When I ordered, the waitress hesitated because she knew it was alot of food, but I assured her I was hungry. EEEWWW!!! Thank god I got the flautas, cause I did NOT like the stew!!! The smell reminded me of my Aunt Terry's dairy farm. The texture was true to itself, cause it was skin! Everything else about the stew I would have loved - the thin meat broth, cilantro, tomato, onion, etc.. But damn, that tripe was disgusting. I know there are those of you that love the thing, so maybe I'm not the true "foodie" I thought I was (weeping). Kidding, cause the adventure of it was what defines my truest "foodie" nature. This board sooo... inspires me! The place was awesome, though, so if someone would please help me recall the name...
no avatar
User

Kurt R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 9:08 am

Louisville, KY

by Kurt R. » Thu May 08, 2008 7:22 pm

El Nopal is in the shopping center in front of Gattiland
Ernesto's is 1 blk down Preston

I think you are referring to El Nopal
Kurt

Character is measured by a series of split second decisions.
no avatar
User

Jackie R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands

by Jackie R. » Thu May 08, 2008 7:26 pm

Nope. Thank you so much for trying, but El Nopal is not the place. I'm familiar with El Nopal, and this would be ON Preston Hwy, BEYOND Outer Loop. Think "authentic".
no avatar
User

Suzi Bernert

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:08 pm

Louisville, KY

by Suzi Bernert » Thu May 08, 2008 7:58 pm

Possibly - La Flavorita?
Retired from LMEMS
Co-Founder and House Mother
Berndows Enterprise
"Time to eat?"
no avatar
User

Jackie R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands

by Jackie R. » Thu May 08, 2008 8:02 pm

That doesn't sound right, but could be. La Tienda is in my mind, but I know that is an on-line supplier of Mexican goods. La la la...
no avatar
User

Suzi Bernert

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:08 pm

Louisville, KY

by Suzi Bernert » Thu May 08, 2008 8:07 pm

La Tapatia!! I could not remember the name either......at Bluelick Rd?
Last edited by Suzi Bernert on Thu May 08, 2008 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Retired from LMEMS
Co-Founder and House Mother
Berndows Enterprise
"Time to eat?"
no avatar
User

Jackie R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands

by Jackie R. » Thu May 08, 2008 8:07 pm

Oh oh oh! La Tapatia! That was it. La Tapatia, very friendly.
no avatar
User

Jackie R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands

by Jackie R. » Thu May 08, 2008 8:09 pm

We posted simulataneously. I was proud of my memory. Thank you.
Previous