Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Bill Brymer

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 1:47 am

Maybe it was the Tsing Tao ...

by Bill Brymer » Fri Apr 18, 2008 7:33 pm

But visited Red Pepper tonight for an early dinner and ventured out of the comfort zone and had the Hot Pepper Pork Stomach. It was ... fantastic. The meat had a wonderful smoky flavor, a nice bit of heat -- so glad I left caution to the wind and tried something new. Have yet to be disappointed at this restaurant. Pulling hard that it overcomes the curse of Lower Brownsboro and thrives at this location
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Maybe it was the Tsing Tao ...

by Robin Garr » Fri Apr 18, 2008 9:49 pm

Bill, I share your affection for Red Pepper, and I've tried a lot of their dishes. Guess I'll have to try the pork stomach one of these days ...
no avatar
User

Jackie R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Mar 06, 2007 3:48 pm

Highlands

by Jackie R. » Fri Apr 18, 2008 9:55 pm

I've never had stomach of any kind. Can someone recommend an additional coupla places where I can try it? I'll promise to report back on the experience.
no avatar
User

Doogy R

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:15 pm

The purlieus of Louisville, KY

by Doogy R » Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:05 pm

It's been a while (3 years), but I had pork stomach at a Chinese buffet off Bardstown Road at Hurstbourne and I liked it a lot. I believe it was in the Piccadilly Plaza? It wasn't on the menu. I got to know the people who ran the place and they were always bringing me such oddities, and seemed quite proud to do so. I think they were trying to see what I would eat before they grossed me out. Fish heads, animal guts, chicken feet, and things that I don't even know what they were and was told not to ask. I dunno if the place is even around anymore.
Great food along with great company is truly one of lifes best treasures.
no avatar
User

Jackie R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands

by Jackie R. » Fri Apr 18, 2008 11:10 pm

Anything non-chinese? My most sensuous meat experiences are free from sweet and salty curing. I wanna have a neat and authentic stomach tasting time. My stomach is already growling... for stomach... (insert dracula emoticon)...
no avatar
User

Jackie R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands

by Jackie R. » Fri Apr 18, 2008 11:14 pm

Doogy R wrote:I think they were trying to see what I would eat before they grossed me out. Fish heads, .

Gross man, you really ate the fish heads? I sucked a crawfish once, but, like a striped bash or catfish head? Eye balls too?
no avatar
User

Gretchen D.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:18 pm

the Highlands

by Gretchen D. » Sat Apr 19, 2008 12:07 am

Jackie R. wrote:Anything non-chinese? My most sensuous meat experiences are free from sweet and salty curing. I wanna have a neat and authentic stomach tasting time. My stomach is already growling... for stomach... (insert dracula emoticon)...

There is a little taqueria called La Mexicana next door to La Favorita Grocery at 6201 Preston that makes menudo which is a beef tripe soup... traditionally it uses the first three of the four chambers of a cow's stomach. They make it fresh for Saturday's and maybe Sunday? I have not had it, but their carne asada burrito with green sauce is AMAZING! You could try that for another ethnic version of stomach. Enjoy! :P
no avatar
User

C. Devlin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:42 pm

by C. Devlin » Sat Apr 19, 2008 12:27 am

Please to explain "pork stomach." And is that the same thing as "pork lace" or "pork caul"? And if it is, does anybody know where I can buy some? I've asked some local butchers, and nobody has a clue what I'm talking about.
no avatar
User

Doogy R

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:15 pm

The purlieus of Louisville, KY

by Doogy R » Sat Apr 19, 2008 8:02 am

Jackie R. wrote:
Doogy R wrote:I think they were trying to see what I would eat before they grossed me out. Fish heads, .

Gross man, you really ate the fish heads? I sucked a crawfish once, but, like a striped bash or catfish head? Eye balls too?

Yes, even the eyeballs. Sick, huh?!?

fish heads for jackie.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Great food along with great company is truly one of lifes best treasures.
no avatar
User

Leah A

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Dec 25, 2007 1:00 pm

Elizabethtown

by Leah A » Sat Apr 19, 2008 10:08 am

I thought "pork belly" referred to the same cut which is used to make bacon. There is organ meat or "offal" called tripe when referring to the stomach. Pork caul or lace is the fat or "mesentery" surrounding the animal's abdominal organs. I would think that most butchers should be familiar with the term mesentery.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat Apr 19, 2008 10:13 am

Leah A wrote:I thought "pork belly" referred to the same cut which is used to make bacon. There is organ meat or "offal" called tripe when referring to the stomach. Pork caul or lace is the fat or "mesentery" surrounding the animal's abdominal organs. I would think that most butchers should be familiar with the term mesentery.

The problem with ethnic restaurant menus is generally the language barrier. It's hard to know what the good folks at Red Pepper mean by "stomach." Tripe, as in menudo? (Pigs not being ruminants, though, they don't have tripe.) The actual stomach, as in the vessel used to make Scottish haggis? Or maybe just a literal translation of "pork belly"? Could be any of the above, or something else.

I've got the Red Pepper authentic menu here someplace. I'll dig it out today and try to find the Chinese characters in my Mandarin dictionary and see if the original name is more revealing.
no avatar
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:48 am

by Ron Johnson » Sat Apr 19, 2008 10:42 am

The vast majority of tripe seen on menus is from cows, but there is pork tripe. It is common in sichuan (szechuan) dishes.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat Apr 19, 2008 10:48 am

Ron Johnson wrote:The vast majority of tripe seen on menus is from cows, but there is pork tripe. It is common in sichuan (szechuan) dishes.

I think we're on to something here. Red Pepper's three "pork stomach" dishes all have the final two characters in common. According to my Chinese-English dictionary, they are "Du Si," which means "Tripe silk."

I'm still puzzled about pork tripe, though, since pigs aren't ruminants, don't chew the cud or have multiple stomachs as cows do.

Source: WordNet (r) 1.7

tripe
n 1: lining of the stomach of a ruminant (especially a bovine)
used as food
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

by Andrew Mellman » Sat Apr 19, 2008 11:21 am

I agree that some of the best dishes at Red Pepper are the ones that turn you off with the name!

The tripe is some of the best I've ever tried (I agree with you!), my favorite appetizer is the "Smelly Chicken" (can't remember exact name), and I've never gone wrong by selecting a dish with a weird or crazy name.
Andrew Mellman
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat Apr 19, 2008 11:26 am

andrew mellman wrote:my favorite appetizer is the "Smelly Chicken" (can't remember exact name), and I've never gone wrong by selecting a dish with a weird or crazy name.

"Unique Chicken Smell" on the menu. :D Many Chinese restaurants translate this name more accurately as "Strange Flavor Chicken," which is still a little offbeat but maybe a little more appetizing. ;) Whatever you call it, I love it too!
Next