Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Marsha L.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:56 pm

Louisville, KY

Re: OUTSIDE GRILL SUGGESTIONS?

by Marsha L. » Thu Apr 17, 2008 4:15 pm

We have the BGE at work, and Clay looooooooves it! We smoke everything from shrimp to tomatoes in it.
Marsha Lynch
LEO columnist, free range cook/food writer/food stylist
no avatar
User

Will Crawford

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:51 pm

by Will Crawford » Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:09 am

Also with the weber if the legs go you can make a really cool smoker using a 55 gallon drum. Stand the drum up right and cut the top so the weber can fit down on top of it. Simply cut a fire door at the bottom and hinge it. then you can use wood and get the nice smoker effect and still have the grill on top for grilling.
Will Crawford
no avatar
User

Kurt R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 9:08 am

Louisville, KY

by Kurt R. » Fri Apr 18, 2008 1:21 pm

Will Crawford wrote:Also with the weber if the legs go you can make a really cool smoker using a 55 gallon drum. Stand the drum up right and cut the top so the weber can fit down on top of it. Simply cut a fire door at the bottom and hinge it. then you can use wood and get the nice smoker effect and still have the grill on top for grilling.

Now that is a recycling tip I can use!
Rock on Willie!!
Kurt

Character is measured by a series of split second decisions.
no avatar
User

Will Crawford

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:51 pm

by Will Crawford » Fri Apr 18, 2008 3:34 pm

Best ot cut a few extra holes on the bottom of the Webber to allow the smoke to enter the chamber. I made mine when it was junk pick up time and I found the weber with broken legs but perfect top part. I got the drum from a commercial cleaning company. I washed out the soap and seasoned it with a nice fire to remove all paint. It is perfect.
Will Crawford
no avatar
User

Kurt R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 9:08 am

Louisville, KY

by Kurt R. » Fri Apr 18, 2008 4:08 pm

Lots of Grills get thrown out this time of the year. I will be on the look out for a kettle to recondition. The drum will be easy for me to get. I was thinking of making a 55 gallon drum, charcoal grill this summer anyway. Smoker and a Grill, the neighbors are going to think I am the topic of the next Jeff Foxworthy stand up routine.
Kurt

Character is measured by a series of split second decisions.
no avatar
User

Michael N.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 11:49 am

by Michael N. » Fri Apr 18, 2008 11:30 pm

For a good, all around charcoal grill I, too would give the nod to the Weber. BGE's/Kamados are sweet and they distribute heat evenly enough to bake a cake but for bang for the buck you can't beat the Weber kettle. As for a gas option, I would say go with a good, all around charcoal grill. :wink:

Oh yeah, I have to give another shout to charwood. I have pretty much used it exclusively on my grill since the mid 90's. GFS Marketplace usually stocks a 10 kilo bag for about 13 bucks.
no avatar
User

Lois Mauk

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:08 pm

Jeffersonville, Indiana

by Lois Mauk » Sat Apr 19, 2008 8:47 am

Digressing only slightly from the original topic . . . Any of you smoking gurus know where a person can find PECAN wood in this area? I need some for smoking my Andouille sausage. I've used the BBQr's Delight wood pellets in pecan, but it's just not the same (http://www.bbqrsdelight.com).

Thanks.

Lois
Make a fast friend . . . Adopt a retired racer from Greyhound Pets of America!
http://www.GPALouisville.org
Previous