Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Rob Coffey

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:17 pm

BJ's Brewhouse - The good and the bad

by Rob Coffey » Mon Apr 14, 2008 5:47 pm

The weather was too miserable to trek to the waterfront on Saturday, so ended up going to BJ's with some friends. I will say that my expectations were low (I was thinking Hops), but hoped for better. It did exceed my low expectations, but there were some big problems.

We arrived at 6:15, told there was a 45 minute wait, we found a table in the bar to try some beer while we waited. Over the course of the evening, I had the Pale Ale and the Nut Brown, I also sipped at the Hefe and the Porter from others orders. All were good to very good, much better than what Hops used to offer. I do have some minor issues on the beer side:

1. If you are brewing the beer in Reno (or wherever), you shouldnt have Brewhouse in your name.
2. While the glasses werent frosted, they were chilled. It was too cold. Good beer shouldnt be that cold. Cold is good when you dont want to taste your beer, but they are serving beer meant to be tasted. It needs to be a bit warmer. Not chilling the glasses would solve that problem.
3. Kudos for making a real hefeweizen - not an American Wheat. I consider American Wheat to be a worse scourge upon the beer world than macro lagers, especially when called a hefeweizen (Im looking at you, Widmer). BJ's hefe was good, but drinking a hefeweizen out of a standard "pint" glass just isnt optimal. This is a very tiny nit to pick (especially considering some to follow) but it bugs me.

Onto the food: I had the scampi, I thought it was excellent, others seem to enjoy their food. No complaints, and definate thumbs up here.

The problem for the evening: SERVICE!

1. We arrived at 6:15, as I mentioned above, it was over 2 hours before we were seated. That is unacceptable after being told 45 minutes. I realize that is an estimate, so anything up to an hour would have been fine, but to be off by a factor of 3 isnt.
2. Once seated, the waiter was slow in getting around to taking our order.
3. The food came out in a reasonable amount of time, except for 1 order. Half of us were done eating before the final person got their food order.
4. The waiter apologized for the situation (he kept checking, tried it keep us up to date, all in all did a good job in a bad situation, but the kitchen let him down), mentioned it had been a problem all evening, said that tables had been yelling at the manager all evening, that she was in tears in the back, and thanked us for not being that way. Also mentioned meals being taken off bills and etc. So, why wasnt that meal comped at our table then? If they realized its the same situation, they should have taken it off, we shouldnt have needed to force the issue by yelling at the manager. If it had been my meal, it wouldnt have been paid for, but it wasnt my bill, so not my place. It ticked me off though.

All in all, Im willing to give them another chance. The problems are correctable. Maybe it was just one bad night, kinks to be worked out and all. I would expect thunder night to be a light evening though, what with a few 100k potential customers being out of the mix.
User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:09 pm

The rolling acres of Henry County

Re: BJ's Brewhouse - The good and the bad

by RonnieD » Mon Apr 14, 2008 5:56 pm

Wow. With all of these reports about the inconsistent service and kitchen, I am now dying to see what they do with all of us next week! Sounds like we'll be playing "who will get fed!"... :shock:
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY
no avatar
User

Rob Coffey

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Rob Coffey » Mon Apr 14, 2008 6:00 pm

RonnieD wrote:Wow. With all of these reports about the inconsistent service and kitchen, I am now dying to see what they do with all of us next week! Sounds like we'll be playing "who will get fed!"... :shock:

Just saw the other thread, I didnt look far enough down. I probably should have attached my review to it, although that thread has kinda gone off the rails (in a funny way).

Yeah, food roulette is never a fun game.
User

Jackie R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Mar 06, 2007 3:48 pm

Highlands

by Jackie R. » Mon Apr 14, 2008 7:30 pm

The one time I was forced to go there by my friends, we had really terrible service. The guy just didn't care about us one bit and it wasn't because of anything we did. We were gracious guests and he was lethargic and idiotic. Food and bev: big deal. Only way I'll be back is by force.
User

Roger A. Baylor

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:01 pm

New Albany

by Roger A. Baylor » Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:01 am

Rob Coffey wrote: I do have some minor issues on the beer side:

1. If you are brewing the beer in Reno (or wherever), you shouldnt have Brewhouse in your name.
2. While the glasses werent frosted, they were chilled. It was too cold. Good beer shouldnt be that cold. Cold is good when you dont want to taste your beer, but they are serving beer meant to be tasted. It needs to be a bit warmer. Not chilling the glasses would solve that problem.
3. Kudos for making a real hefeweizen - not an American Wheat. I consider American Wheat to be a worse scourge upon the beer world than macro lagers, especially when called a hefeweizen (Im looking at you, Widmer). BJ's hefe was good, but drinking a hefeweizen out of a standard "pint" glass just isnt optimal. This is a very tiny nit to pick (especially considering some to follow) but it bugs me.

All good points. Thanks.
Roger A. Baylor
Beer Director at Pints&union (New Albany)
Digital Editor at Food & Dining Magazine
New Albany, Indiana
no avatar
User

Rob Coffey

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Rob Coffey » Tue Apr 15, 2008 1:01 pm

Roger A. Baylor wrote:
Rob Coffey wrote: I do have some minor issues on the beer side:

All good points. Thanks.

You are largely responsibile for my glassware problem in #3.
User

Mark P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jan 28, 2008 2:21 pm

by Mark P » Wed Apr 16, 2008 12:10 pm

After reading many of the reviews on this board, I was anxious when it was decided by others in my group that we would be dining at BJ's last Friday night. Many of the problems people had revolve around terrible service, but in our case the waiter was excellent. We tried the beer sampler, and I settled on the hefeweizer, which was good. Our appetizer sampler was brought out in a timely fashion as was the deep dish pizza. Everything tasted good, and the overall experience was great. I will add that while I characterize the pizza as good, it in no way measures up to Sportstime's deep dish. My thoughts on BJ's was that it is a decent place to dine if you are in the area and in the mood for pizza (we didn't try any other dishes this visit), but it does not warrant a special trip if you live decently far away (New Albany for me).
no avatar
User

Tina Marsh

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Sep 30, 2007 11:17 am

Louisville

by Tina Marsh » Fri Apr 18, 2008 5:40 pm

well, the husband wants to head to BJ's tonight. maybe today's earthquake made him homesick for California and he associates BJ's with SoCal since that was one of his beer buddy hangouts in the day.

I'll let you guys know how they do with our Friday night visit. I can think of a bizillion places I'd rather go, but since I don't hate BJ's, it's okay, I'll do it for him.