Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Leah A

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Dec 25, 2007 1:00 pm

Elizabethtown

Re: What are some of your favorite bourbons?

by Leah A » Mon Apr 14, 2008 10:51 pm

I like Four Roses Small batch on the rocks. I seem to like it better than the single barrel although I haven't tried the single barrel since its initial release a couple of years ago. Occasionally I like to mix Buffalo Trace or the basic Four Roses with orange bitters. This weekend I tried mixing a splash of balsalmic vinegar with Heaven Hill after reading about it on another foodie site. I'm not sure if they were joking or not but it was actually pretty good! My husband swears by Geroge Stagg neat but his all time fav is Hirsch 16yr. Probably because we can only afford it once every ten years or so. He's been looking for Four Roses Barrel Strength. Has anyone been able to try it or do any of the bourbon bars in town carry it?
User

Amy Hoover

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:27 pm

Butchertown

by Amy Hoover » Tue Apr 15, 2008 1:40 am

Noah's Mill is my absolute favorite. It is velvety smooth with hints of nut and vanilla. (and it's 114.3 proof!) Drink it neat or with 2 or 3 cubes of ice.

For casual bourbon drinking I enjoy Basil Hayden. I like to mix Basil Hayden, a dash of bitters, and some of the juice from maraschino cherry jar. I've been known to have 6 or 7 of those and think I've only had 3.

I also enjoy the Four Roses Small Batch-on the rocks. Four Roses master distiller Jim Rutledge is so passionate and eager to share his bourbon knowledge and acumen.
“Fear less, hope more; Eat less, chew more; Whine less, breathe more; Talk less, say more; Love more, and all good things will be yours”

Swedish Proverb
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:14 am

Amy Hoover wrote:Noah's Mill is my absolute favorite.

Noah's Mill! It and Rowan Creek took the top two spots in a major Bourbon tasting I participated in for Louisville Magazine several years ago. Definitely a favorite.

I've got to speak up for Knob Creek as another favorite call brand. And for decent, affordable Bourbon in an old-fashioned style, not rotgut, I've got to nominate W. L. Weller, both the regular and the reserve, for excellent quality-price ratio.
User

Jessica H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Sep 26, 2007 1:25 pm

Crescent Hill

by Jessica H » Tue Apr 15, 2008 12:28 pm

I drink Maker's and Knob Creek most of the time, but my favorite is Old Pogue. Then again I just recently discovered Ancient Ancient Age so Pogue might have some competition.
Jessica Haskell
Owner
Sweet Surrender Dessert Cafe
http://www.sweetsurrenderdessertcafe.com
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

by Andrew Mellman » Tue Apr 15, 2008 6:27 pm

I prefer wheated Bourbon.

If you like Makers and/or wheated bourbons, try Bernheim Original - far superior, at a similar price point!
Andrew Mellman
User

Jon K

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 10:22 pm

by Jon K » Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:28 pm

I'm a big fan of Old Forester "Signature". I think it's comparable to more expensive bourbons.
no avatar
User

Will Crawford

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:51 pm

by Will Crawford » Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:49 pm

One of my favorite pass times is sipping bourbon. I agree with Robin on the W.L. Weller. What a great bourbon for the $.
Before there were boutique bourbons I was very partial to Henry Mckenna and Wild Turkey 101. My "reach for" at the restaurant now is Old Forester. It never lets me down and has a nice clean taste that does not have the undesired headache effect. I keep it lower on the shelf than the Basil Hayden (light finish) and the Bookers (powerful proof with a nice vanilla finish.) The Four Roses single barrel and Small batch are mighty fine. and of course the Pappy van Winkle brands. I would go out of business if that is all I drank. So I make it harder on myself. It is nice to save some higher end brands for special occasions. What I like about bourbon is the subtle differences you taste among brands. Noah's Mill is so fine but also boasts the higher proof which can be off putting if you do not know how to let it breath with a touch of branch and a cube of ice. Have you noticed how if you do a switch mid evening from say a wheated bourbon like Makers or W.L. Weller to the Jim Beam family of bourbons (Basil, Knobb, Bookers,) that you are almost tasting a different animal?
Will Crawford
no avatar
User

Aaron M

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Sep 12, 2007 8:52 am

Louisville

by Aaron M » Wed Apr 16, 2008 1:21 pm

I've only been to Bourbon's Bistro once, but I loved the Bourbon flights they offered. And they give you a card with your selections on it to take with you so you can remember what you had and what you liked.

I'm partial to Eagle Rare. Love Woodford (yes I know it's just old forrester, but it's tasty). Elijah Craig 12-year is quite yummy especially for the price.

My wife tried a Midnight Manhattan at Proof a few months ago and now that's her favorite drink. It's like a regular manhattan but with Starbucks Coffee liquor added. No cherry. Sounds odd, but it's actually really good.
User

Jeremy J

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Mar 20, 2007 11:30 am

Louisville, KY

by Jeremy J » Wed Apr 16, 2008 1:40 pm

Will Crawford wrote:Have you noticed how if you do a switch mid evening from say a wheated bourbon like Makers or W.L. Weller to the Jim Beam family of bourbons (Basil, Knobb, Bookers,) that you are almost tasting a different animal?

Jim Beam uses a rye and corn base rather than a wheat and corn base which is why they are so different...rye based bourbons are a lot spicier, and tend have a fruity taste...I much prefer a ryed bourbon to a wheated one...you definitely picked up on a very important distinction between bourbons...if you like bourbons that tend toward rye, I recommend Bulleit, Ezra B. 12 yr single barrel, and (not technically a bourbon, but damn close) the Van Winkle 13 yr rye...mmmm some of my favs!
no avatar
User

Will Crawford

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:51 pm

by Will Crawford » Wed Apr 16, 2008 2:14 pm

Jeremy J wrote:
Jim Beam uses a rye and corn base rather than a wheat and corn base which is why they are so different...rye based bourbons are a lot spicier, and tend have a fruity taste...I much prefer a ryed bourbon to a wheated one...you definitely picked up on a very important distinction between bourbons...if you like bourbons that tend toward rye, I recommend Bulleit, Ezra B. 12 yr single barrel, and (not technically a bourbon, but damn close) the Van Winkle 13 yr rye...mmmm some of my favs!

I know. I have been noticing the difference since I was making old fashions for my grandmother when I was 11. I like the rye taste just as much as the wheat... but changing mid evening can be jarring.
Will Crawford
User

Jeremy J

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Mar 20, 2007 11:30 am

Louisville, KY

by Jeremy J » Wed Apr 16, 2008 2:18 pm

when I started drinking bourbon, wheated was always my fav...as my palate has gotten more experienced, I find ryed bourbons to be a lot more complex and interesting to drink. I also forgot to mention wild turkey KY Spirit! All wild Turkey tends toward the rye side of things, but KY Spirit is really something special...
no avatar
User

Mark A.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu May 24, 2007 10:30 pm

by Mark A. » Sat Apr 19, 2008 9:10 pm

Maker's for my daily pour. Weller when I'm feeling poor (half the cost of Maker's and very close in taste). Eagles Rare when I feel like splurging and Beam Black when I want a change of pace.
User

Steve Cecil

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Sep 22, 2007 5:26 pm

Oldham County

by Steve Cecil » Mon Apr 21, 2008 7:01 pm

Tom Holstein wrote:I prefer wheated Bourbon.
Makers has a special place in my memories and heart. My father and I sold lots of piping on initial Loretto construction, maintenance and expansion. My EKU roommate and I were treated to a private tour of the distillery and "quart house" by Sam Cecil in late 60's.........tasting all the way through made for quite a day.
While I mostly enjoy Bourbon on the rocks with a splash of water, I still have a Makers & Coke every now & then.....that combo can bring back waves of pleasant nostalgia for those days.

Sam is my great uncle. I've always felt the bourbon connection in KY especially strongly. :D

Makers for my everyday drinkin' and Basil Hayden on occasion. Knob Creek and Woodford are in my bar too.
User

Chris Hibbs

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 23, 2008 11:12 pm

by Chris Hibbs » Mon Apr 21, 2008 10:36 pm

I'm pretty new to the area and with this I have taken on the task of trying as many bourbons as I can find. I know it's a tough job, but I feel like I'm up for such a challenge.

I've made it through 18 so far...I've always loved Maker's, but like someone earlier posted, I was very surprised with how nice Evan Williams Single Barrel is, especially considering its relatively low price. I also found a nice gem at Kroger's Spirit Shop called Corner Creek...it's much nicer than it's $18 price tag would otherwise indicate. Blanton's and Buffalo Trace are other bottles I've enjoyed.

As much as I wanted to like it more, I personally can't find enough reason to justify the Van Winkle 20 year's price tag. Also, to reiterate others, if you like Woodford, you might as well just drink Old Forrester...very similar taste to my untrained palate.
User

Ethan Ray

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:30 pm

by Ethan Ray » Tue Apr 22, 2008 12:27 am

for my BS budget bourbon, i drink Evan Williams (E-dub, as it's become known to my circle of friends).

Hands down my choice for the best bourbon in regards to price for quality is Old Forrester 86 - in my opinion.

For sipping bourbon, my all time favorite is Eagle Rare 17 yr (when it's available), and Elijah Craig 18 yr as a runner-up.
Ethan Ray

I put vegetables in your desserts, white chocolate with your fish and other nonsense stuff that you think shouldn't make sense, but coax the nonsense into something that makes complete sense in your mouth. Just open your mind, mouth and eat.
PreviousNext