Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Baxter Station!

no avatar
User

Chris Rogers

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:21 pm

Far East End Wasteland

Baxter Station!

by Chris Rogers » Sun Apr 13, 2008 4:44 pm

The wife and I had a rare night out by ourselves Friday and found ourselves at Baxter Station. We used to love going to Baxter but haven't been since moving out to the East End......and boy have we been missing out!

We started with Sierra Nevada Porters and the Steamed Mussells, split a Caesar salad and for entrees the Salmon Mojo and the Crawfish & Artichoke Farfalle. Everything was well above average and very filling. We will undoubtedly be back - hopefully soon! I haven't seen anyone post about Baxter in some time, but it' s still as great as we remembered it.
"You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus."
—Mark Twain
no avatar
User

Greg R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Aug 07, 2007 9:15 am

Crescent Hill

Re: Baxter Station!

by Greg R. » Sun Apr 13, 2008 7:25 pm

Chris Rogers wrote:The wife and I had a rare night out by ourselves Friday and found ourselves at Baxter Station. We used to love going to Baxter but haven't been since moving out to the East End......and boy have we been missing out!

We started with Sierra Nevada Porters and the Steamed Mussells, split a Caesar salad and for entrees the Salmon Mojo and the Crawfish & Artichoke Farfalle. Everything was well above average and very filling. We will undoubtedly be back - hopefully soon! I haven't seen anyone post about Baxter in some time, but it' s still as great as we remembered it.

In my opinion, easily the most underrated and least talked about joint in town. We don't have enough of these sort of places in Louisville. I could eat there every night and never get tired of it...so much variety...soups, salads, pasta, nachos, sandwiches, fish, steaks, burgers, good beer...all prepared in creative and interesting ways, but not so fancy that it becomes art for art's sake. Know what I mean?

Baxter reminds me of a place in Dallas we frequent with similar food but their gimmick (for lack of a better word) is that they have an impressive patio and a huge bar with hundreds of bottles of wine on the wall which gives the place a cool vibe. (here are some pics and check out the menu...sound familiar? http://www.theporchrestaurant.com/photos.php) I know it would never happen, but I would love it if Baxter Station would move the the Frankfort Ave./Lexington road area. It's kind of an out of sight out of mind thing I guess because I don't get there as often as I should. Hey Andrew, did you see that the Sweet Peas bldg. is available? :lol: ...you could keep the train theme!
no avatar
User

Caroline K

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:45 am

by Caroline K » Mon Apr 14, 2008 1:24 pm

I agree-I have never had a bad meal, drink, service or bad time at Baxter Station! :D
no avatar
User

Kurt R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 9:08 am

Louisville, KY

by Kurt R. » Mon Apr 14, 2008 1:59 pm

Tried to go today for lunch, closed on Mondays!
Kurt

Character is measured by a series of split second decisions.
no avatar
User

Michele Janosek

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jun 25, 2007 5:08 pm

Douglass Hills

by Michele Janosek » Sun Apr 20, 2008 11:17 am

Thanks to Chris for reminding me of this gem of a restaurant! When we used to live in the Highlands, we frequently ate at Baxter Station, but once we moved to J-town for some reason, it fell off of our food radar. Mike and I had appointments downtown yeterday & made a point of stopping in for an early dinner afterwards. We had both forgotten how much we loved this place! We decided to get a hodge podge of apps instead of entrees. Mike had the soup of the day - Cheesy potato soup with Andouille sausage - delicious! The texture was not gritty and the sausage gave it a lively kick. Yum! I had the warm goat cheese salad and it was divine. Roasted red pepper, toasted walnuts and a sundried tomato vinaigrette topped with lightly breaded and fried goat cheese. Heaven on a plate! Next we split the potato puffs, chicken fajita quesadilla and calamari. Those puffs are so darn good and the calamari just melts in your mouth - so very tender! Our great meal was enhanced by our awesome server Kate. What a doll! She made us feel like old friends from the minute we arrived. I'm only sorry that we didn't save room for the Bailey's Cake! Next time... :D
no avatar
User

Marsha L.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:56 pm

Louisville, KY

by Marsha L. » Thu Sep 11, 2008 7:45 pm

You'll remember that I asked (on another thread) for Newport/Covington recommendations for today when John and I went to the aquarium. Well, we ate breakfast "by the highway" on the way up (yes, there was a McBiscuit in there somewhere) and spent most of the day at the aquarium, but when it came time to come home it was only about 4:00 when we left, and we sort of wanted to beat rush hour traffic around Cincinnati, so we headed back towards home. We were going to try and find somewhere along the way, but without knowing any "hidden gems" it was all pretty depressing choices on the way back, so we decided to come all the way back into Louisville, but stop somewhere for dinner before coming home, so the meal would still seem like part of our outing.

I asked John if he'd ever been to Baxter Station - he hadn't, and I hadn't been for a few years (shame on me!). So we got off the highway near downtown and drove directly over to Payne Street for beer, burgers and whatever else struck our fancy.

John's a big Reuben connoisseur, so he switched allegiance to the Reuben immediately upon seeing it on the menu. I got the burger (thankfully they ask for your temperature preference without a finger-wagging warning) with cheddar and a side of chipotle aioli for dipping fries in (I haven't had fries in FOREVER. I am gonna have to do major penance at the gym tomorrow for all my transgressions today). But while we waited for our sandwiches, we had the appetizer special: Goat Cheese rolled in a radichhio leaf and prosciutto (three of these on a skewer), then grilled and drizzled with honey-balsamic reduction. That thing was awesome. Andrew (we asked to say hi) said they're considering putting it into regular rotation and I hope they do. Yum.

Cielle, our server, was fast, friendly and flawless. Atmosphere was relaxed but with a wide range of choices from super-casual fare up to the swankier stuff like our appetizer. A fine selection of beers, both commercial and craft including locals is available. It was early, so we noticed lots of families eating together. Kids had placemats and crayons to color them with, and of course they love the train that runs along the top of the dining room wall. John LOVED his Reuben, and he is picky about them. He pointed out to me that they alternated several layers of kraut and corned beef back and forth, and approvingly commented "that way it doesn't slide apart while you eat it!"

Two pints of Dead Guy Ale, special app, two sandwiches and two fries were a very reasonable $36.35 before tax and tip. I have a feeling I'll be spending a lot more time there in the coming months...I'm in trouble for not bringing John there before now! :wink:

Thanks to Andrew, Cielle and the rest of the friendly staff for taking care of us tonight, and I'm glad we drove all the way home to eat instead of taking the easy way out at a highway-side chain. Louisville Originals represent!!
Marsha Lynch
LEO columnist, free range cook/food writer/food stylist
no avatar
User

carla griffin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:32 pm

by carla griffin » Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:01 pm

There's just something so cozy about the place when the weather starts getting cool. The food has always been great everytime I've been there, but the ambiance really puts it on a special level for me. Sometimes it's the intangible stuff that makes those special places noteworthy.
And a great bartender.
Carla
There is one thing more exasperating than a wife who can cook and won't, and that's a wife who can't cook and will. ~Robert Frost
no avatar
User

Gayle DeM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:42 pm

by Gayle DeM » Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:11 pm

Greg R. wrote;
In my opinion, easily the most underrated and least talked about joint in town. We don't have enough of these sort of places in Louisville. I could eat there every night and never get tired of it...so much variety...soups, salads, pasta, nachos, sandwiches, fish, steaks, burgers, good beer...all prepared in creative and interesting ways, but not so fancy that it becomes art for art's sake. Know what I mean?

I totally agree :D
"I didn't fight my way to the top of the food chain to be a vegetarian" -Erma Bombeck
no avatar
User

Matthew D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Jun 22, 2008 11:22 am

No Longer Old Louisville

by Matthew D » Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:59 pm

Marsha L. wrote:...and we sort of wanted to beat rush hour traffic around Cincinnati, so we headed back towards home. We were going to try and find somewhere along the way, but without knowing any "hidden gems" it was all pretty depressing choices on the way back..

if there are gems, they are quite hidden. NKY is mostly chain heaven, and I-71 doesn't offer much until the Metro area. I'm sure there spots I have overlooked. They are going to stay overlooked, at least for me, as I've ridden that stretch of highway to count for three lifetimes [University of Dayton, '04].

As for Baxter, I was quite impressed on my first trip there. I've mentioned this in another thread or two. The number of entrees that really caught my attention was most impressive. I can usually find "my entree of interest" pretty quickly when I first see a menu. When I went to Baxter, I had 8 or so entrees in mind when I started the elimination process.
Thinks the frosty mug is the low point in American history.
no avatar
User

Jackie R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Mar 06, 2007 3:48 pm

Highlands

by Jackie R. » Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:12 pm

Marsha, sorry if I seem too much like I'm patrolling your threads, cause I'm hoping not to be caught at it. But hey, I gotta crush.

So anyway, I LOVE the Baxter Station. I have numerous accounted for relationships, beginning with Mr. Pete Aarvig (RIP my first boss ever at a pasta counter where La Bamba resides, as well as mentor/good buddy), many friends over the years have been employed there including my previous boss, Lamas of Seviche, and most importantly, that is where my beloved sister and her awesome awesome husband (one of my bestest boy buds) had their first date. And it is now the favorite restaurant of my best friend (sister's daughter - 6 yrs old) cause she really loves the train and they treat her real nice when she's in: like a kid with feelings. I feel very much like Baxter st. is part of my family not only for those reasons, but also because Andrew is a part of the Louisville Original foundation. My boyfriend and I built a house with our own bare hands one time, but we did not lay the concrete, cause that's for the professionals. My hat goes off to Andrew in such a profound way.

Something not already mentioned: Andrew values women immensely and let's them wear their own damn clothes. MWAW!
no avatar
User

Andrew Hutto

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:38 pm

by Andrew Hutto » Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:47 pm

thanks jackie,
there isn't a day that goes by that we don't think of pete, talk about pete or repeat a "pete ism"...
the list of those is endless and surface even when we aren't aware of it...
he is /was a very special person!!!!
i hope all our kids are treated with open arms & with respect. we have been around long enough to see many of those guys become "grown ups"...
i also love my staff to be individuals... i pick my battles that i can, at least, call a draw... tats are part of present day life. i work in shorts and polo's as long as i can..
it is the shoe battle that i always try to win, though... stylish is rarely, if ever, functional a restaurant!!!
i appreciate the kind words and support!
andrew
no avatar
User

Gayle DeM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:42 pm

by Gayle DeM » Fri Sep 12, 2008 12:15 am

Andrew,

I am just one of your many "show up too few times" supporters. You rule! Have you thought about opening "Baxter Station Two" out in the East end? When I first tried your place, Chef Lamas was at the grill/oven/stove. I adore his cooking and restaurants, but Baxter Station has never waivered.

I give up. Louisville is totally restaurant heaven. Too many good "foodie" placies and so little time.
"I didn't fight my way to the top of the food chain to be a vegetarian" -Erma Bombeck
no avatar
User

Anthony Lamas

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Apr 26, 2007 8:41 pm

by Anthony Lamas » Fri Sep 12, 2008 12:06 pm

Andrew is a great guy! I always called him Jefe, when I was his Chef. He called me Chefe. I did'nt have a dad growing up, so I always looked up to him. The way he treated his staff, greeted the customer, and so on. Oh yeah, also hung out in Chicago with me, for my bachelor party. What a great time! Anyways, Andrew do you remember me calling you and Joe on Sept. 11th. I always think about how life can change in a second. My thoughts are with Lisa and her son. Pete was a big part of Baxter Station and a great friend to you. Hey Andrew, on a different note, it was great seeing you and the wife and feeding you on your anniversity. I was in Clevland for a trade show and hung out with Clay from Lou Lou and his Chef Mark. I talked about my years in Louisville and your name came up. We both agreed that you are a heck of a guy. Clay told me you were a big part of him getting started. Andrew you should feel very proud! You were a mentor to me, and obiviously have inspired many people. You have always supported many causes and are a big part of Louisville restaurant scene. I look up to you Jefe! Thanks for putting up with me all those years. I was a young gun, who had some growing up to do. As soon as Ian Cruz comes into the world, I'll be bringing the wife in for some food and drinks. She is ready for a few glasses of wine. Ian Cruz is expected on Oct 8th. I'll call you and maybe we can grab a beverage somewhere. Andrew my friend, Take care and thanks for all you've done for me. I truly love you like a big brother.

Muchas gracias Chefe
no avatar
User

Andrew Hutto

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:38 pm

by Andrew Hutto » Sat Sep 13, 2008 4:26 pm

thanks chefe'
nope next week is crazy busy for you and all of us!
andrew