Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Havana Rumba?

no avatar
User

Kris Billiter

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:12 am

Downtown

Havana Rumba?

by Kris Billiter » Sat Apr 12, 2008 2:27 pm

I'm sure everything is fine, but we tried to take our in-laws to HR today, got there a little before noon which is when they open according to the door. We waited for awhile, and no one ever opened up. We decided to go down to Lotsa Pasta instead. When we came back to drop off the in-laws at their car, everything was still dark. We were really bummed, but had a good meal at LP. Hope all is well with Fernando and his crew at HR!
no avatar
User

Jeremy J

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Mar 20, 2007 11:30 am

Louisville, KY

Re: Havana Rumba?

by Jeremy J » Sat Apr 12, 2008 2:31 pm

Prolly just closed for thunder. At least for lunch...I've never had more than 1 table at any restaurant I've worked at that was open for lunch on Thunder.
no avatar
User

Kris Billiter

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:12 am

Downtown

by Kris Billiter » Sat Apr 12, 2008 3:12 pm

Makes sense I guess, but there was a crowd of people (10 or so) waiting for it to open and 3 trying to get in when I got back. Not the best Thunder weather today.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat Apr 12, 2008 3:35 pm

Jeremy J wrote:Prolly just closed for thunder.

I just got back from a failed attempt to get my hair cut because A Place To Go has closed for the entire DAY for Thunder! What's this all about? Is Thunder turning into a religious holiday like Christmas or Easter or Derby?
no avatar
User

Steve Shade

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:53 am

by Steve Shade » Sat Apr 12, 2008 3:52 pm

I was at the Mayan Cafe last night and they had a sign stating they were closed Thunder Day. Lack of customers.

Religious holiday ?? of course .. ST JERRY's day.
"Don't accept your dog's admiration as
conclusive evidence that you are wonderful."
-- Ann Landers
no avatar
User

Suzi Bernert

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:08 pm

Louisville, KY

by Suzi Bernert » Sat Apr 12, 2008 4:44 pm

It kinda goes with the growing list of places I have seen saying they are closed on Oaks and/or Derby. If you are not involved in the Derby scene (working that day or just not interested) it can be difficult to find an independent place to go for a haircut, shopping, etc. On Thunder Day, if you are not by the river, the business is just not there.
Retired from LMEMS
Co-Founder and House Mother
Berndows Enterprise
"Time to eat?"
no avatar
User

Jessica H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Sep 26, 2007 1:25 pm

Crescent Hill

by Jessica H » Sat Apr 12, 2008 5:43 pm

When we were on Bardstown Road, I closed Sweet Surrender at 4 PM and didn't reopen on the day of Thunder, because it was completely dead. And that way, if my employees wanted to they could go down to the river. This being our first year in Clifton, we're staying open til midnight thinking we might get the post-Thunder I'm-sick-of-sitting-in-traffic-rush. I'm very curious to see how it goes.

On Derby day, we close for a few hours in the afternoon and reopen early evening. It's pretty much guaranteed that we'll be dead for the hour before and the hour after the Derby runs.
Jessica Haskell
Owner
Sweet Surrender Dessert Cafe
http://www.sweetsurrenderdessertcafe.com
no avatar
User

John Greenup

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:03 pm

Oldham County

by John Greenup » Sat Apr 12, 2008 6:12 pm

Friends tried to get into HR one evening recently, and they said it was so busy that guests were forced to park across the street and walk over....I suspect they're just a victim of High Holy Thunder Saturday.....they change the theme of the show each year, but it always looks like the same fireworks display to me.
"I want to go where the hand of man has never set foot."

-- Samuel Goldwyn
no avatar
User

Ward Wilson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 15, 2007 10:16 pm

Beargrass Creek watershed

by Ward Wilson » Sat Apr 12, 2008 8:17 pm

Mojitos is closed and the phone's off the hook. I hope it's just for Thunder.
no avatar
User

Doogy R

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:15 pm

The purlieus of Louisville, KY

by Doogy R » Sat Apr 12, 2008 10:57 pm

Ward Wilson wrote:Mojitos is closed and the phone's off the hook. I hope it's just for Thunder.

I can't be 100% for sure, but I'd make a large wager on that fact.
Great food along with great company is truly one of lifes best treasures.
no avatar
User

Heather Y

{ RANK }

In Time Out Room

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:07 pm

Prospect

by Heather Y » Sat Apr 12, 2008 11:31 pm

They were closed just for thunder, and will be open again on Sunday regular hours!
no avatar
User

Jeremy J

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Mar 20, 2007 11:30 am

Louisville, KY

by Jeremy J » Sun Apr 13, 2008 12:42 am

Robin Garr wrote:
Jeremy J wrote:Prolly just closed for thunder.

I just got back from a failed attempt to get my hair cut because A Place To Go has closed for the entire DAY for Thunder! What's this all about? Is Thunder turning into a religious holiday like Christmas or Easter or Derby?

It's nice that you tried, but don't fault them, no one else ever comes in! If it IS a religious holiday, you have other locals to blame...either stay open for 1 or 2 peeps and lose money or close up....makes sense to me!
no avatar
User

Wes P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:59 pm

Impellizzeri's Pizza

by Wes P » Sun Apr 13, 2008 12:53 am

Wow. We were open and sales were only off about 4% over last Sat. We were packed. At 9:30 we turned 8 flat screen hd tvs to thunder and cranked the sound and turned off the lights. We had a great time. Close? Why?
The Original Impellizzeri's Pizza
www.impellizzeris.com
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sun Apr 13, 2008 7:34 am

Jeremy J wrote:It's nice that you tried, but don't fault them, no one else ever comes in! If it IS a religious holiday, you have other locals to blame...either stay open for 1 or 2 peeps and lose money or close up....makes sense to me!

Don't worry, I'm not faulting them! I know it's all over. Actually, I just mentioned the shop by name (which I learned about in this forum) because I like them and think they do a great job. I'll be back during the week. :)
no avatar
User

Stephen D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Feb 03, 2008 3:41 am

Lyndon, Ky

by Stephen D » Sun Apr 13, 2008 12:53 pm

We had a surprisingly strong night. 150 covers vs our normal 200ish. The weather had something to do with it. Or maybe people might be getting tired of wasting away in the sea of humanity all day just for a little flash/ bang and then an hour long ride home...

Just a thought.
Next